Minutes
Seconds
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
2010 : Williams & Toyota Merge!
Posted by: myhead (IP Logged)
Date: 28 January, 2009 03:59

global economic crisis -
just the idea........i think they should merge to be one F1 team.

Re: 2010 : Williams & Toyota Merge!
Posted by: Andrew Hooper (IP Logged)
Date: 28 January, 2009 06:05

Will never happen ....

Posted by: Mehryar (IP Logged)
Date: 28 January, 2009 08:10

I think Toyota will disappear from 2010 if they don't find huge success nex year...with Renault as another candidate to disappear from 2010, I think we should wait for another Williams-Cosworth era again.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

Posted by: myhead (IP Logged)
Date: 28 January, 2009 09:00

williams & toyota
renault & redbull

is good merge for future. enough if we have 6-7 team in F1. we will have 3 driver from each team!

Posted by: StuffOfLegend (IP Logged)
Date: 28 January, 2009 17:45

If Toyota has a bad '09, then count on them being engine supplier for Williams exclusively.

However, I think they'll go quite well this year, and as such, expect to see them through to the end of 2010/2011. I see this scenario as possible for 2011/2012 though, Toyota becoming engine supplies/Title sponsor to Williams, maybe with the Lexus brand and Black/Gold livery, seeing as Williams should be regularly competing for the championship by then grinning smiley

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/7343/logotipoon6.jpg

Posted by: pgj (IP Logged)
Date: 28 January, 2009 18:28

I do not see any advantage. There would be twice the operating costs and also costs associated with restructuring the new company. It would just consume cash without bringing any benefits. Sorry thumbs up

Williams and proud of it.

Date: 28 January, 2009 20:01

Quote:
pgj
I do not see any advantage. There would be twice the operating costs and also costs associated with restructuring the new company. It would just consume cash without bringing any benefits. Sorry thumbs up

An actual merger would never happen. Toyota F1 HQ has always been dedicated to Toyota's racing efforts. When they are done with F1, they will focus their efforts on Le mans, rally, or wherever they decide to race. So, no double operating costs, no double staff.... nada.

Posted by: Toyrulli (IP Logged)
Date: 28 January, 2009 20:53

I remember when the partnership between Toyota and Williams began they talked about co-opetition, co-operating on some things but in competition on the track.

[www.autosport.com]

Toyota and Williams working together on rules interpretation?

I hope for both teams its legal and not too easy to copy...

Posted by: j-s (IP Logged)
Date: 28 January, 2009 21:04

I'm still waiting on Lexus branding...

Although it doesn't make any sense for Toyota- having their two brands compete against one another so that one is inevitably beaten by the other.

It could only happen if Toyota leave the sport. Or change the name of their team and engines, which would have no impact on Williams.

Williams Cosworth sounds better, now that I think of it. Let's not rely on manufacturers.

Posted by: Toyrulli (IP Logged)
Date: 28 January, 2009 21:14

Cosworth are rip off merchants.

Its why Jordan went with Toyota and why Williams also moved from Cosworth to Toyota.

Posted by: rear wing (IP Logged)
Date: 28 January, 2009 22:56

As I follow Toyota closer than any other F1 team, then I have got such kind of an impression about them that if they leave F1, then they'll leave altogether. I don't see much point of becoming an engine supplier as the development is frozen and any advantage can't be found there anyway. Toyota's engine chief Marmorini has left and the team itself has been critical about the engine rules, having threatened to leave F1 for Le Mans, where they would have more freedom. And I suspect that if not after 2009, then at latest after 2010 they'll indeed make that switch.

For Williams the most probable engine choice from 2010 onwards is Cosworth, so I guess 2009 will be the last year for Nakajima in F1 too.

Date: 29 January, 2009 03:43

Quote:
rear wing
As I follow Toyota closer than any other F1 team, then I have got such kind of an impression about them that if they leave F1, then they'll leave altogether. I don't see much point of becoming an engine supplier as the development is frozen and any advantage can't be found there anyway. Toyota's engine chief Marmorini has left and the team itself has been critical about the engine rules, having threatened to leave F1 for Le Mans, where they would have more freedom. And I suspect that if not after 2009, then at latest after 2010 they'll indeed make that switch.
For Williams the most probable engine choice from 2010 onwards is Cosworth, so I guess 2009 will be the last year for Nakajima in F1 too.

It wouldn't really cost them much to keep supply engines that don't have to be developed. Furthermore, though Marmoni is credited with all the engine wok, a lot of it is done at the Fuji Technical Center in Japan. So I really don't see why they wouldn't take advantage of something they already have to keep their name in (or introduce Lexus' into) the sport.

Posted by: rear wing (IP Logged)
Date: 29 January, 2009 19:37

Quote:
StuffOfLegend
It wouldn't really cost them much to keep supply engines that don't have to be developed. Furthermore, though Marmoni is credited with all the engine wok, a lot of it is done at the Fuji Technical Center in Japan. So I really don't see why they wouldn't take advantage of something they already have to keep their name in (or introduce Lexus' into) the sport.

One thing is just supplying Williams with engines, another matter is - what I think is at least the intention of the thread - if Williams becomes a full works-supported team (a relationship they had previously with Honda, Renault and BMW), in this case by Toyota. Even despite all the cost-cutting measures this would be a lot more expensive for Toyota - they would financially support the Grove team as much as they currently do for the Cologne team, plus the rest of money comes from sponsors.

In the other case, what you mentioned, if Toyota continues its relationship with Williams in the current way I don't see much reason for Toyota to stay, because Williams as a full privateer with an average budget wouldn't really reach the top and Toyota wouldn't need such kind of advertising. The leaders of Toyota company have already made it clear that in 2009 either wins or departure will take place.

So in either case - I don't see Toyota continuing with Williams if they withdraw from F1 with their own team.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net