Minutes
Seconds

Current Page: 115 of 363

Re: News and Stuff
Anderis (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 09:59
[www.autosport.com]

[www.chelseafc.com]

I feel so much strange with this partnership now. Chelsea was my favourite football team when I was passionate football fan (stoped around 3-4 years ago, when went more towards F1 and road cycling). And now they have partnership with the team that is one of our biggest rivals in F1 these days. Hello Roman, we're the blue team in F1, not Sauber.

PastorCrashdonado (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 10:36
Quote:
Anderis
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99268
[www.chelseafc.com]

I feel so much strange with this partnership now. Chelsea was my favourite football team when I was passionate football fan (stoped around 3-4 years ago, when went more towards F1 and road cycling). And now they have partnership with the team that is one of our biggest rivals in F1 these days. Hello Roman, we're the blue team in F1, not Sauber.

Mmm, so you're a cycling fan, me too. smileys with beer

I guess you support Szmyd. smiling smiley

Anderis (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 11:48
I support all Polish riders and I'm very pleased how the things are going. There should be about 7-8 Polish riders in Giro this year. 3-4 years ago there was no more than 1 Polish rider in any important cycling race.

It would be nice if Szmyd is allowed to ride on his own, but I'm afraid he will be tied to Basso. Szmyd is much better all-rounder this season than he used to be, it looks like he may collect as many points as possible to change the team for next year.
It's a pity that Majka is injured. He was going to be Saxo Bank leader in Giro. He has a great potential.
Niemiec is a solid climber but he has two big names in his team and will have to help them for sure.
Huzarski should be a leader for his team and may show something in mountains but don't expect very much.

But, the same thing as in F1 I have my favourite team (Williams) and I support them more than Kubica, also in cycling I have my favourite team and it's Garmin-Barracuda. After disappointing classics, we achieved at least good result this season with Talansky yesterday. I look forward to see what Hesjedal can do in Giro. And of course I hope for TTT win as always. smiling smiley Hesjedal, Vande Velde, Rosseller, Rasmussen and Dekker should be riding Giro, so it's a strong team for TTT, win should be achievable if things go well. Don't know what should I expect about Hesjedal, he is a little bit mistery since great 2010 season and average 2011. I always regret that Garmin haven't hired any top rider for stage races. There are many good riders there for a top10 results, but not real contender for podium overall. I may only hope that Talansky or Stetina will develop into a real contender.

Szmyd is an obvious guess if you know that I'm Polish. But there is no obvious guess who do you support if you're Spanish (am I right?), especially when Contador is suspended. There are so many great cyclists from Spain (especially climbers), Rodriguez, L. Sanchez, S. Sanchez, Anton, Freire, Flecha, Valverde etc. No idea. smiling smiley

30 April, 2012 12:08
Yep, Talansky could be the next big thing in grand tours. I think he already can top 10 in this year's Tour de France.
Every year Garmin produces one new top-10 finisher in the Tour. grinning smiley

I support a lot Nibali, he's the guy with most balls of the whole peloton. And Kreuziger as well, he hasn't develop too much since 2009 but let's hope this is his year and wins the Giro.

I support Purito and Valverde too. You're right that in Spain we have many great cyclists, but what will happen when the current generation retires? We don't have too many great prospects. Landa is only I can see right now that can do big things in the future.

For example France have a great generation coming up with Pinot, Demare, Bardet, and less younger Rolland or Coppel.

TerraNova19 (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 15:51
Quote:
Francesc
Quote:
Anderis
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99268
[www.chelseafc.com]

Mmm, so you're a cycling fan, me too. smileys with beer

I guess you support Szmyd. smiling smiley

Cycling fan too!

Anderis (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 17:33
Maybe we should start topic about cycling? grinning smiley

30 April, 2012 17:38
I support that initiative. Specially now that Giro is coming up.

Anderis (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 11:49
There is a phantom-news on official Williams website.

When I go hehe
[www.williamsf1.com]
I can see a news from 4th of May which begins " Williams Grand Prix Holdings PLC will hold its 2012 Annual General Meeting on..."

But when I click to read it, it shows that the page doesn't exist.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 11:54
I believe it has been removed now.

AlanJones (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 13:44
Nope its still there on the small news section on the right side

http://oi60.tinypic.com/i4045w.jpg

WILLIAMS MARTINI RACING

Est. 2014

07 May, 2012 17:54
Mercedes to leave F1 at the of 2012
[translate.google.es]

According to Moncet, a journalist who has very good sources.

Beer_Stalker (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 21:09

Gunk (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 07:43
Quote:
Beer_Stalker
More info: 'Mercedes consider quitting F1'

Yes, I think there's a lot of argument behind the scenes. Williams were also frozen out of Bernie's arrangement - which some say was a factor in Parr's departure. Saward does not think Merc will quit but has hinted that Merc could bring a lawsuit.

Mr. Pink (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 08:46
All teams in F1 should get at least one board member. If that is not the case, F1 is going down big time.

Having only three teams, out of which one is Red Bull, is completely insane and if Parr left because of it I am completely with him on this one.

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/8830/logoqz0.gif
Sir Frank: "It's what we do, we love doing it. It's like oxygen, it fixes you".

ADW (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 15:57
My prediction. This Hybrid system WILL win Le Mans THIS year!
I think it's quite likely that Audi might even orchestrate a result to get the headlines if necessary. "First diesel victory and now first hybrid victory at Le Sarthe. Audi pushing alternative Technology on the track!"
I hope WHP gets proper recognition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2012 15:57 by ADW.

rpralon (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 19:23
Williams F1 Team Announces New Partnership

The Williams F1 Team (Ticker: WGF1) is pleased to announce a new sponsorship agreement with Wihuri, one of Finland’s most respected business enterprises.

The Wihuri logos will feature on the belt and helmet of the team’s Official Reserve Driver Valtteri Bottas, and the rear wing endplate of each Williams Renault FW34. Wihuri have supported Valtteri since 2006, and this agreement further extends their commitment to helping talented young Finnish drivers reach the pinnacle of motorsport.

Headquartered in Finland, Wihuri is a global industry and trade conglomerate engaged in film packaging products, daily goods wholesale operations, technical trade investment products and aviation. Over the past century Wihuri has grown from a small family business into a diversified global enterprise which operates in 20 countries. It is still owned by the family that formed the company 110 years ago.

Juha Hellgrén, President and Chief Executive Officer of Wihuri, commented, “Wihuri’s heritage in motorsport sponsorship started in the 1970s and this new agreement with one of the sport’s most iconic and legendary teams is very exciting. I am confident that co-operation with the Williams F1 Team will be a success story for both sides.”

Sir Frank Williams, Team Principal of the Williams F1 Team, added, “We are delighted to welcome Wihuri to our portfolio of partners. They have provided considerable support to Valtteri in his career thus far and to partner with a company that shares a family structure and strong heritage is greatly satisfying. We are all looking forward to working with them in the future.”

rpralon (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 19:43
In a recent interview for Autoport Plus, Rob White the TD of Renault said that in the 2014 engine rules will be unlikely the power train using a third party KERS such as RBR and Williams do currently , due to the higher degree of integration that engine and the KERS will need.

The current KERS units are effectively add-ons, whereas ERS will be totally integrated into powerplants. With there being no turn-key suppliers available, White's team has needed to source new components and sub-systems, but makes no secret of the fact that they have a long-standing relationship with Magneti Marelli, which is expected to provide core ERS components.

"An important difference is that from the beginning we have system responsibility for the whole power unit, so we have to work with our respective teams on the specification, then deliver a product against that specification that will be fully competitive and fully satisfy the requirements. You can absolutely not go and buy a turnkey solution off the shelf somewhere."

Currently, teams have the option of bolting on their own KERS units, with Williams (which produces own motor/generators, battery packs and ECUs via Williams Hybrid Power) providing a perfect example. Although White believes they have come a long way with Williams, having determined the conditions in which the combination could be executed, he is adamant that was possible only due to the current KERS being an add-on."

"However, it will not be viable for someone to bring their own [K]ERS to the new engine," he adds. "I don't see anything other than fully integrated power units. The battle is to put resources where the performance is; we've sought to pursue our well-established policy of providing fully competitive kit and equipment as expected by all teams with whom we deal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2012 19:46 by rpralon.

TerraNova19 (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 21:06
Audi R18 E-tron Quattro with Williams Hybrid Power Technology Makes Strong Start in World Endurance Championship

Posted on Tuesday 08 May 2012

The Audi R18 e-tron quattro, powered by Williams Hybrid Power’s innovative electric flywheel hybrid system, impressed on its first competitive outing in round two of the F.I.A World Endurance Championship.

The second race in the 2012 calendar saw teams head to Belgium for the WEC 6 hours of Spa-Francorchamps. The Audi R18 e-tron Quattro #2 set the fastest time in Friday’s qualifying and its sister car finished in second place around the famous circuit after dominating the early stages in difficult wet conditions. The race at Spa-Francorchamps can be seen as a ‘’dress rehearsal’’ for the Le Mans 24 Hours next month. By proving its capability on one of the world’s most challenging circuits, the signs are positive for the R18 e-tron quattro’s chances of success at the 80th running of the world’s most famous endurance event.

Williams Hybrid Power designed an entirely new, ultra-lightweight electric flywheel and associated power electronics for the Audi R18 e-tron quattro, delivering 150KW of power with a top rotor speed of 45,000 rpm. The key benefits of the WHP system are a high power density and correspondingly low mass, the ability to continuously deep power cycle, high efficiency energy transfer to and from the e-storage, and an insusceptibility to performance or life degradation over a wide range of operating temperatures. These defining features are highly suited to endurance racing and made the WHP flywheel the prime candidate for Audi’s project when compared to other technologies such as batteries, ultra-capacitors or mechanical flywheels.

André Lotterer, one of the drivers of the Audi R18 e-tron quattro #1, commented, "A fantastic race for Audi with a 1-2-3-4 victory. When I was sitting in the car at the beginning of the race in the rain I particularly enjoyed the technology of the R18 e-tron quattro. Even though the technology is brand new it functioned superbly. Unfortunately, we didn’t keep the lead but we’re still in a learning phase. On the whole, though, it was a nice beginning before the really big challenge, the Le Mans 24 Hours."

Ian Foley, Managing Director of Williams Hybrid Power, commented, ‘’High-level motorsport is the ultimate proving ground for our flywheel technology and we are delighted to see the Audi R18 e-tron quattro make a positive start in its first outing. The performance at Spa demonstrates the potential of hybrid systems in both motorsport and non-motorsport applications and we are looking ahead to Le Mans next month with great excitement.’’

j-s (IP Logged)
08 May, 2012 23:58
So most sponsorship comes through drivers now, not the best situation but oh well, never bite the hand that feeds you.

I think that the Wihuri deal points to Bottas having good chances of a race seat next season.

Current Page: 115 of 363

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net