Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Current Page: 604 of 611

Re: News and Stuff
Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 17:04
It's entirely possible that Ocon is tied to the Merc engine so a break in his driver contract would end their deal.

Maybe STR will have to be a little more patient. Or start talking to Renault......

ihme (IP Logged)
20 September, 2018 17:54
Saward:

Williams is a very sad story at the moment, particularly as the team is running with Mercedes engines, which should put the team somewhere near Force India in the pecking order. But that is not the case at all and if things continue as they are Williams is going to end the year 10th and last in the Constructors' Championship. The team has rejected help from Mercedes, which waso s keen to place one or more of its young drivers at Grove, and was willing to invest in a loss-making deal tupply the team with the Mercedes rear end. Williams has rejected this idea, which is worrying. One understands that the team has pride and wants to remain being a constructor, but when it comes to needs must, one wonders whether sticking with team same technical leadership is a good decision. When all is said and done, the technical leader must take the blame (or the glory) for a car. Lowe felt that his team designing this year's car was good. The result wasn't so his belief that the people who have now taken over are good, must be seen as slightly worrying.[b][/b] Two consecutive failures would warrant only a swift boot up the rear end, but it would also call into question the decision-making that allowed that to happen. Leadership is key to success in F1. In any case, there is little doubt that building their own car and using pay-drivers to race it is a high-risk strategy that has failed this year… Doing the same thing again next year hopefully will produce a better result.

Gunk (IP Logged)
20 September, 2018 21:03
Quote:
ihme

Saward:

Williams is a very sad story . . . . which is worrying. . . etc

Fair comment. And you might expect conservative Williams to play it a little safer next year at least.

But we don't know any details of the rejected deal. Maybe the terms were too onerous for Williams to accept? Toto didn't negotiate any kind of middle way for Ocon.

phatjack (IP Logged)
20 September, 2018 23:25
Quote:
Gunk
Quote:
ihme

Saward:

Williams is a very sad story . . . . which is worrying. . . etc

Fair comment. And you might expect conservative Williams to play it a little safer next year at least.

But we don't know any details of the rejected deal. Maybe the terms were too onerous for Williams to accept? Toto didn't negotiate any kind of middle way for Ocon.

Play it safer next year? So they brought Paddy on board why?

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 08:38
Not taking the gearbox and rear suspension to me is still a big stupid mistake. However it will have been based on technical information, such as whether Williams can build a comparable gearbox and rear end. Hope so, but doubt it.

Boxman (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 08:53
Quote:
Mikef1
Not taking the gearbox and rear suspension to me is still a big stupid mistake. However it will have been based on technical information, such as whether Williams can build a comparable gearbox and rear end. Hope so, but doubt it.

I do hope you are right, but sadly I think there is equally big chance on the decision being based on the board not wanting to go through the hustle of cutting respective departments as they would be dead weight if we go with merc components. Nowadays I start to think that the whole "We manufacture everything alone" mantra is more of a cover for the fear of actual reorganisation of company than just a point of pride/legacy call it whatever you want.

Sweeper (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 10:55
Quote:
Joe Saward
Doing the same thing again next year hopefully will produce a better result.

Quote:
Albert Einstein
If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got.

GPL (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 10:27
Geez now talking about a Q4 in qualie next year,how stupid.

andy si (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 11:10
Quote:
Boxman
Quote:
Mikef1

I do hope you are right, but sadly I think there is equally big chance on the decision being based on the board not wanting to go through the hustle of cutting respective departments as they would be dead weight if we go with merc components. Nowadays I start to think that the whole "We manufacture everything alone" mantra is more of a cover for the fear of actual reorganisation of company than just a point of pride/legacy call it whatever you want.

Another point to make is, that Williams presents itself as a complete design partner for all vehicle components or project components to potential partners and customers on the market outside of F1 for their potential projects.

So with this in mind.. they would want to present themselves as a complete constructor even in F1. Albeit that F1 components produced need to prove as competitive. Something Williams are lagging behind.

Mehryar (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 17:58
Quote:
GPL
Geez now talking about a Q4 in qualie next year,how stupid.

Really? Never read about that!
That's stupid how much F1 and FIA love to change qualifying format! In fact that's one of very few positive things in F1 & most fans are happy about it in surveys.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

stt (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 06:44
Quote:
Sweeper
Quote:
Joe Saward
Doing the same thing again next year hopefully will produce a better result.

Quote:
Albert Einstein
If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got.

Having learned long ago that many quotes are misattributed, when I have come across versions of the above quote I have discarded them without second thought as something too stupid to have possibly come from Einstein. This time, probably because the quote had been mutilated to a form I had not seen before, I decided to google around. Whoever has tried to chase it seems to have ended up with something like this:
[www.news.hypercrit.net]
Unsurprisingly, no text linked to Einstein can be traced where he stated something similar. What mystifies me though, is the fondness many seem to have for the so called quote, when it is at best a cheap attempt to be witty, or if we are to put it bluntly - fairly stupid.

Sweeper (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 09:51
Quote:
stt
[a cheap attempt to be witty, or if we are to put it bluntly - fairly stupid.

Hard to say who exactly you were referring to, but based on what you wrote I am afraid this got dangerously close to self-criticism.

You see, if you are trying to discuss the attribution a quote, you need to discuss the very quote, not the one which has in fact nothing in common but the general meaning. If you don't, you might accidentally display flaws in your reasoning, which somehow nullifies the attempt to present yourself as a sage.

You might want to go back to your googling around, then...which could take you here. Again, before jumping into conclusions you might try to understand, that on the basis of the article you can only say that the attribution of the quote to Einstein is at most probably wrong. Then I'd agree and thank you for pointing this out.

All in all, whoever's the quote is, it nicely summarizes what I think of Saward's assertion.

ihme (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 10:39
AMuS is reporting that Sirotkin's management went for talks to Toro Rosso after the Singapore GP.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 10:47
Quote:
andy si
Quote:
Boxman
Quote:
Mikef1

Another point to make is, that Williams presents itself as a complete design partner for all vehicle components or project components to potential partners and customers on the market outside of F1 for their potential projects.

So with this in mind.. they would want to present themselves as a complete constructor even in F1. Albeit that F1 components produced need to prove as competitive. Something Williams are lagging behind.

Tell that to Aston Martin. It's better for them for be competitive on red bull and do absolutely nothing than it is for them to flop their own design components. Same Principle could be applied to Williams. Promoting their engineering prowess through a competitive car where they predominantly design the pieces as opposed to promoting their brand by building lots of @#$%& pieces and coming last. I certainly know which one works best.

Mehryar (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 11:22
Quote:
ihme
AMuS is reporting that Sirotkin's management went for talks to Toro Rosso after the Singapore GP.

I think we will keep atleast one seat available until the winter break.Sergey can raise his game in last few races and with work ethic & sponsers, he will be a great option IF there's more speed in him.
Otherwise, dragging the guys who are left without any seat so long, can bring a better deal for the team.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

andy si (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 09:12
Quote:
Mikef1
Quote:
andy si
Quote:
Boxman
Quote:
Mikef1

Tell that to Aston Martin. It's better for them for be competitive on red bull and do absolutely nothing than it is for them to flop their own design components. Same Principle could be applied to Williams. Promoting their engineering prowess through a competitive car where they predominantly design the pieces as opposed to promoting their brand by building lots of @#$%& pieces and coming last. I certainly know which one works best.

I wonder why RedBull is not supplying Rapid E components.. not interested or not capable?
And Aston Martin customers will be buying Williams WAE tech promoted by RedBull in F1.
Maybe something happens in the marketing department as well...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/09/2018 10:04 by andy si.

IanSmithISA (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 10:57
Good morning,

Quote:
andy si
I wonder why RedBull is not supplying Rapid E components.. not interested or not capable?
And Aston Martin customers will be buying Williams WAE tech promoted by RedBull in F1.
Maybe something happens in the marketing department as well...

To my mind the Rapide E is a bit of a compromise design, something to get an electric Aston out there now.

As I understand it Red Bull use Renault supplied batteries, as the Rapide E has the battery pack mounted in the engine bay, it seems likely that WAE came up with a custom battery pack to fit that space.

This is made by the Unipart/WAE company Hyperbat.

Even if Renault were willing to do this, would it be what Aston would want? :-)

Motors come from Integral PowerTrain.

Bye

Ian

Stuart L (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 13:09
Williams half year results are out today. They do not look
Pretty. Revenue is down significantly, costs are up very significantly and the team made a £2.something million pound enitda loss. That’s a big loss before depreciation and interest!

And this is in a year when we are receiving 5th places constructors money.

The team is therefore looking somewhat in difficulty and you would imagine a refinancing must be under consideration.

The team will need two pay drivers next year. Simple as that.

Not good at all and next years results look set to be a significant step worse with less constructors revenue and need to replace martini.

IanSmithISA (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 14:57
Good afternoon,

They are pretty much as expected, someone here recently called me a nerd for taking the bean counting seriously.

In my view the boards of both WGH and WGPE have become too corporate for an F1 team, they don't mind big debt and are comfortable with accounting tricks such as selling land and claiming it as income.

It is like claiming hundreds of millions in Goodwill, it is legal and GAAP approved, and it hides real problems.

One day the bank says "no more cash" and it all comes crumbling down.

As for a refinancing, that is tricky, over recent years Williams seem to have shown that they can't repay debt, they are doing the equivalent of borrowing on the Visa card to repay the American Express card, borrowed from the Mastercard card.

Bye

Ian

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 25/09/2018 15:03 by IanSmithISA.

ihme (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 15:23
Yep, better start preparing for Sirotkin & Markelov lineup next season.

I got a feeling that we will be negotiating with their sponsors in Sochi in few days time to be "compatibile" for 2019.

Current Page: 604 of 611

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net