Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Current Page: 4 of 20

Re: Barcelona testing 21st-24th February
PastorCrashdonado (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 16:02
Looks like we have had a technical problem at the end of the day, we haven't run during the last 40 min.

drunkmunky (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 16:07
await the comments from gillan

we got 97 laps in. that's good! I hope we're like red bull and pull out an aero develop at the last test. something tried, true, and proven to work.

Beer_Stalker (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 16:13
Lap times really don't matter.

The most important thing is to use the extra instrumentation they run in testing to the correlate the car with the CFD & wind tunnel models. This may sound like a waste of time but you have to remember that once the season starts all upgrades will come out of the factory without any track testing (apart from the occasional straight line test at an airfield).

The team has to have confidence in the models. How many times last year did we bring parts to a race only to find they didn't work?

Bond (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 16:48
Quote:
Francesc
Oh come on guys, we don't know what fuel loads people are running. To me it looks like we're running all the time on 60%-100% of fuel tank capacity.
We won't see any qualifying laps until the day before the last of next week's test.

While I am a big believer in the above, playing devil's advocate: If you've got the speed - there is no reason to not show it. RBR isn't afraid i see.

Bond (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 16:51
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gallery/pictures/2012/f1/test-catalunya-21fev/010.jpg

Bond (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 16:52
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gallery/pictures/2012/f1/test-catalunya-21fev/027.jpg

Bond (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 16:53
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gallery/pictures/2012/f1/test-catalunya-21fev/032.jpg

Bond (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 16:54
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gallery/pictures/2012/f1/test-catalunya-21fev/075.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/02/2012 17:04 by Bond.

J4ck (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 16:56
Quote:
Bond
Quote:
Francesc
Oh come on guys, we don't know what fuel loads people are running. To me it looks like we're running all the time on 60%-100% of fuel tank capacity.
We won't see any qualifying laps until the day before the last of next week's test.

While I am a big believer in the above, playing devil's advocate: If you've got the speed - there is no reason to not show it. RBR isn't afraid i see.

who tell you that red bull has shown speed? their time is 3 seconds over the pole 2011

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/02/2012 17:02 by J4ck.

21 February, 2012 16:57
Quote:
Bond
Quote:
Francesc

But everybody knows Red Bull are fast, and they're probably so much fast that they can't hide it even if they wanted.

And Williams nobody expects them to be fast so if they have a good car they might want to hide it.

This pre-season of Williams is a bit like 2009 I think.

Bond (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 17:05
Quote:
J4ck
Quote:
Bond
Quote:
Francesc

who tell you that red bull has shown speed? their time is 3 seconds over the pole 2011

No1 - but data doesn't lie - they're top of the time sheet more often time than not.
Like i said - if you have speed, no need to lie to yourself or others.

Beer_Stalker (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 17:12
Just look at the pics. When you're driving around with pitot tube array attached the last thing the team needs is for you to attack the kerbs while chasing a lap time.

Bond (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 17:34
Lets put things in context - no1 is advocating Williams go off their testing agenda.

They have a lot to sort out.

But if they did have all the speed locked up & figured out already, then yes - why not have pedal to the metal?

Anyhow, some of you can relax & don't worry about removing your suspenders & belts & no need to change panties either...it's not like we're going anywhere fast that's for sure. The checklist is long.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 21/02/2012 17:36 by Bond.

21 February, 2012 17:50
Driver: Bruno Senna
Chassis / engine: FW34-01 / RS27-5281/1
Objectives: Aero correlation tests and set-up work
Weather: Cold and sunny
Ambient & track temps: 17ºC / 24ºC

Mark Gillan, Chief Operations Engineer: Bruno was on track today as we began the penultimate test before heading off to the first race of the season. We completed 97 laps around Barcelona’s Circuit de Catalunya, working successfully through a detailed aero correlation test programme in the morning before moving on to car set-up optimisation, utilising a range of tyre compounds throughout the afternoon. We continue tomorrow with Valtteri in the FW34 before Pastor takes over for the final two days.

Bruno Senna: It has been a very interesting day working with different set-ups to assess the reliability of the FW34. We need to keep working hard to understand the car even better. The team will continue working over the next few days with Valtteri and Pastor, as we look to improve both pace and consistency.

Lotus F1 team pulls out of Barcelona test due to chassis problems

That's very bad for them.

fyujj (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 18:34
I think Williams is looking quite good from the lap times.
Vettel (and others) apparently did a flying lap, although with the hard tyres.
And IIRC, McLaren used to act like Williams now: just keep working and not setting a time before the basics were fulfilled.

Anderis (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 18:38
The slowest Senna's stint was better than the slowest Vettel's stint and the slowest Hamilton's stint. Our times from this test are pretty inconclusive IMO.

azouris (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 18:42
Senna"We need to improve in low-speed corners".[url=http://[www.totalf1.com]][/url]

j-s (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 18:45
I'm guessing we'll start to see some speed runs when Pastor gets in the car on thursday and friday. Maybe not. We'll see.

I find it funny that fast times make us all giddy and optimistic, while slow times make us rational and analytic.

For example. I go to sleep easier when I see Williams nearer the top of the timesheets, even if it's preseason testing and they don't really count. I just want to believe it, even if I'm aware that I shouldn't! However, when times are slow I become rational in order to explain and justify things like that gaping 2.2 second gap to Force India. It must be that Williams is running a completely different program from the other teams! They're breaking in the renault engine! They're testing reliability! That must be it.

Every once in a while I think about Brawn and how they came out of the gate with a new engine and blasted away the entire field. I don't like to think about that.

WILLIAMS-F1-Fan (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 18:47
McLaren are weird...
Last year they fooled everyone with their "bad car"
And in Melbourne they were miles ahead of where they were "supposed to be"

IMO it was a publicity stunt... But one that masked very well the fact that their car was good but not good enough.

I hope Williams has enough data to accomplish all of the goals they've set for the season.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/lael_2006/Sig.jpg
BATracing F1 Just Got More Addicting
My Instagram smiling smiley

-=|£äë£|=-

crusty_bread (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 19:16
@ j-s, this may help explain some of the gaping 2.2 second gap to Force India:

Quote:
Bruno Senna
"Today I don't think we managed to improve as much as we need to improve...on low-speed it still needs to work."
"We are going to have to wait and see if the changes we make for tomorrow and the next two days are going to be enough to mitigate the issues that we have."

Now this was the first day on a pure aero-track, and the team were working on optimising set up- ie, trying to make the car fast. I know we don't know about fuel loads, but like I say, the car has done an awful lot of laps now and there is still no sign of life in the car.

A lot can happen, a lot can change, but I am feeling nervous seeing the team consistently finish every test day in the same position it finished last years constructors championship- ie, last of the established teams. It's hard to ignore such a pattern, and when it is backed up by negative comments by the driver, its hard to feel optimistic.

I cannot quite justify to myself why Williams would be on a particularly slower testing programme than everyone else? Ok- they have more to verify and check than everyone else due to the new engine, but still, why do that so slowly unless the car was..slow?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/02/2012 19:23 by crusty_bread.

Current Page: 4 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net