Minutes
Seconds

Current Page: 5 of 20

Re: Barcelona testing 21st-24th February
Mr. Pink (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 19:22
Quote:
Chassis / engine: FW34-01 / RS27-5281/1
I thought we were supposed to use chassis 2 here...

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/8830/logoqz0.gif
Sir Frank: "It's what we do, we love doing it. It's like oxygen, it fixes you".

Anderis (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 19:24
Those, who are anxious about our times. Why consider you only the fact that we're at the bottom of the table, ignoring the fact that our slowest stints were better than slowest stints of others?

Our fast runs were slower than others.
Our slow runs were faster than others.

Why do you realise only the first thing?

I have no idea in which place of the grid can we be at the moment, but I believe we will be stronger than last year.

Beer_Stalker (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 19:25

fyujj (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 19:29
And Senna didn't seem to do a flying lap like Vettel and Hulkenberg.

crusty_bread (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 19:35
Anderis, last time I checked, motor-racing was not about measuring slowest times. I know the point you are making- that on heavy fuel the Williams is good and not going for a fast time, but RedBull could have been doing anything on that one slow stint- they could have used a Monaco set up for example to measure how the car responds, they could have been working on a front f-duct and only driving fast in the left-handers- anything. What tells me more is the total absence of optimism from Gillan and Senna and the fact that after several hundred laps, Williams still can't set one lap faster than any of the established teams. (Lotus' gremlins excluded of course)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/02/2012 19:37 by crusty_bread.

TerraNova19 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 19:40
Quote:

Barcelona test finishes early for Lotus F1 Team

Lotus F1 Team will not run for the remainder of the second test at Barcelona, scheduled from today until Friday.

During initial runs this morning with Romain Grosjean at the wheel, the team identified an issue with the chassis. After investigation at Enstone, initial plans to bring out chassis E20-01 to Barcelona have been held in order to give the team enough time to rectify the situation.

Lotus F1 Team will be back on track next week in Barcelona (1-4 March)

JAMES ALLISON, TECHNICAL DIRECTOR:
Before we were due to fly chassis E20-01 out to Barcelona in replacement of chassis E20-02 - damaged this morning - we ran a series of simulations at the factory based on the data provided by our brief running on track today. As a result, we were able to identify an area which requires some additional work. It will be more productive for us to carry out these modifications to both chassis at Enstone rather than send E20-01 out to this weeks test. Well put the right measures in place and we will be able to fix the problem before next week.

ERIC BOULLIER, TEAM PRINCIPAL:
Not running this week has been a tough decision to take, but we feel that our choice is the right one. On the positive side, we have quickly identified the issue with the chassis and our design office has already devised a solution. We will be present at next weeks test in Barcelona. We draw faith from the fact that the E20 was quick out of the box in Jerez and showed its reliability there. We have a lot of work ahead of us over the next week but everyone at Enstone is ready for this challenge.

Gwanni (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 19:41
low traction in low speed corners- not the best thing in the world, it could be for tons of reasons. hope that at least we will have the pace.

WILLIAMS-F1-Fan (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 19:42
Our car may not look fast, but it does seem to me that it's only now that they've really started to work on the aero.

It looks like we're really reliable too, and we average the about the same amount of laps each test (except a couple)

The fact the a lot of things have changed, we really can't expect a whole lot, but we can hope for some improvement overall.

I know for sure that the gaps of other teams to us has reduced significantly just due to the ban of EBDs and our switch to RENAULT.

IMO, the greatest test will be the first couple of races which will really show where we're at.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/lael_2006/Sig.jpg
BATracing F1 Just Got More Addicting
My Instagram smiling smiley

-=||=-

TerraNova19 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 19:44
Bruno Senna says Williams needs to work on low-speed corners consistency
By Pablo Elizalde and Edd Straw Tuesday, February 21st 2012, 18:53 GMT

Bruno Senna believes Williams has to improve its consistency on slow corners following his first day of testing at Barcelona.

The Brazilian had another productive day in Spain on Tuesday, covering 97 laps on his way to the eighth fastest time of the session.

Senna said he was pleased with the car's handling over medium and high-speed corners, but he reckons there is still room for improvement on lower-speed ones.

"I think we are learning about it," said Senna at the end of the day. "Today I don't think we managed to improve as much as I think we need to. There is still room for improvement.

"Our car seems to be consistent on the medium and high-speed corners, but on the slow speed we still need to work."

Senna admitted he had run out of time to test solutions to try to solve the problem today.

"We'll have to wait and see if the changes we make are going to be enough to mitigate the issue that we have. I didn't have enough time today to try enough stuff to see."

Despite that, he was still pleased with his day's work after completing nearly 100 laps.

"We did a lot of laps today and again, reliability seems to be in a good place," he said. "The tyres are behaving differently here than they were in Jerez so we need to understand what we are doing, but overall we have learned a bit about the car."

21 February, 2012 19:56
There is obviously still work to be done, I use this site for Live Timing as do many here, what is interesting about this site is you can see the stints and the amount of laps in a stint, most of the established teams set the best time on a 3 or under lap run, ours was set at the begining of a 10 lap run that I think may have been interuppted by a red flag, we could probably set a much faster time if we did a 2 or 3 lap flying run, you make some good points Crusty but am I right in saying you are slightly jaded by the Williams experience of the last few years ? you always seemed to have a certain optimism but it's been missing from your posts for awhile.

TerraNova19 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 20:12
Best comments I have read about how F1 drivers are driving their F1 cars.

Peter Windsor's Barcelona Notes:

[peterwindsor.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/02/2012 20:25 by TerraNova19.

21 February, 2012 20:19
Quote:
Mansell`s flying wheelnut
There is obviously still work to be done, I use this site for Live Timing as do many here, what is interesting about this site is you can see the stints and the amount of laps in a stint, most of the established teams set the best time on a 3 or under lap run, ours was set at the begining of a 10 lap run that I think may have been interuppted by a red flag, we could probably set a much faster time if we did a 2 or 3 lap flying run, you make some good points Crusty but am I right in saying you are slightly jaded by the Williams experience of the last few years ? you always seemed to have a certain optimism but it's been missing from your posts for awhile.

Mate, ten years of underperformance will take its toll on the most optimistic fan...

I don't lack experience with things of the sort...
BAR-Honda years were rough on me, Williams further slip has been rough on me. At the moment all signs point to a very slow start, but that's all it is. Signs.

Appearances will be deceiving. All I could say is, I hope the picture will look better than it is down under.

-=||=-

Gwanni (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 20:19
i aint see bruno over optimistic as he was sometime ago

TerraNova19 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 20:27
Peter Windsor comments: Bruno Senna at Turn Four in the Williams: mid-corner, he has managed to convert initial understeer into oversteer. Lovely to watch but lots of time going away here.

http://peterwindsor.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/100_3699.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/02/2012 20:29 by TerraNova19.

Anderis (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 20:29
Quote:
crusty_bread
Anderis, last time I checked, motor-racing was not about measuring slowest times. I know the point you are making- that on heavy fuel the Williams is good and not going for a fast time, but RedBull could have been doing anything on that one slow stint- they could have used a Monaco set up for example to measure how the car responds, they could have been working on a front f-duct and only driving fast in the left-handers- anything. What tells me more is the total absence of optimism from Gillan and Senna and the fact that after several hundred laps, Williams still can't set one lap faster than any of the established teams. (Lotus' gremlins excluded of course)
Last time I checked, motor racing was not about setting the best times during testing. I think that I know the point you are making, but it seems that you didn't really get mine. I don't insist our car is really good.
But. You are making excuses for Red Bull why they are slower than us on their slowest stints. But you don't accept the excuses why we aren't setting fast lap. It's one way thinking while there are two possible reasons of that thing, each as good as other.
You are assuming that our relatively very good long runs mean nothing why lack of fast flying laps means that we have problem.
The point that our relatively very good long runs mean that we are quick and lack of fast flying laps means nothing is just as good.

Williams didn't even try to set one fast lap. We haven't seen short runs which would look like we were trying to get relatively close to the car limit. Many other teams had short runs, probably with not full tank and very weared tyres. It doesn't mean that they were running as fast as they can. But I guess most of them were much closer to the car limit than we were.

I still think that our times are inconclusive. There are some bad signs as well as some good and it's too early to say where are we.
Optimism or lack of optimism doesn't say much. Last year there was much optimism in Williams before the season. While some less optimistic teams could turn around their seasons as well.

j-s (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 20:32
My oh my, the doubts are starting to spread. Glad to see I'm not alone!

I'm confident the team can do well this year. Regardless of whether the current times are representative or not, they'll do better than last year. I know it. 6 points or more are guaranteed.

If not they could hire Sam back! eye popping smiley

(all in good fun)

Vancha (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 20:39
If Valtteri is in TOP 3 tomorrow will FW34 become a world champion?

C'mon guys, step by step..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/02/2012 20:40 by Vancha.

21 February, 2012 20:45
If I was looking for fast laps, I would love to see a final stint of a race simulation with low fuel and softer tyres... But I'm not. I'm so happy we're not stuck on the side of the track with problems!

-=||=-

fyujj (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 20:47
I'm with j-s
Before the tests begun we were realistic on how's a burden all the changes made and if the team is on the right path and just improves from last year then 'fine'.
But now we see that the regulation changes (expectedly) have taken a greater toll on most other teams so our expectations rise again.
So it's look and see where it goes, but it does look like a more solid approach although one can't dis-consider the burdens mentioned.

MansellsMoustache (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 20:48
It's pretty clear from Bruno's comments and going back to what d'Ambrosio said at Jerez that the FW34 does indeed have some issues in the slow stuff at present.

It's equally clear that the team recognise this and have been working to eliminate it. Also, Bruno has been saying since Jerez that "we're still trying to understand the car". That's no surprise, so much variation between it and the FW33 in terms of the personnel in and the engine.

This is what testing is about - hopefully they have enough time to work it out and the issue isn't an innate part of the FW34 forever built into its DNA. It's not particularly encouraging but no need to slit wrists yet.

http://i.imgur.com/BxYQe4n.jpg

Current Page: 5 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net