Seconds
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Article claims Bottas almost certain to replace Senna in 2013
Posted by: A.Fant (IP Logged)
Date: 29 March, 2012 09:41

My views on this subject has some nationalistic bias, but bear with me.

I've followed young Swedish driver Marcus Ericsson since 2008, and while being a full year younger he has outpaced and outperformed Bottas at all stages of their early careers. Ericsson was a bit erratic at times, but his outright speed was never in question.

But when Ericsson took the step up to GP2 something happened. He was among the top drivers at the first tests. But he made a mistake in his first qualifying session and has since barely made an impact in GP2 and fallen way off the fast-track to F1. Now he's being outperformed by his much less accomplished teammate in his third GP2 season.

While Bottas has shown promise in junior formulae, he hasn't yet competed in GP2 even and I think it's very presumptuous to think he can step into a race seat in 2013 and outperform any of our current drivers.

Posted by: J4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 29 March, 2012 09:44

Quote:
A.Fant
I've followed young Swedish driver Marcus Ericsson since 2008, and while being a full year younger he has outpaced and outperformed Bottas at all stages of their early careers. Ericsson was a bit erratic at times, but his outright speed was never in question.

But when Ericsson took the step up to GP2 something happened. He was among the top drivers at the first tests. But he made a mistake in his first qualifying session and has since barely made an impact in GP2 and fallen way off the fast-track to F1. Now he's being outperformed by his much less accomplished teammate in his third GP2 season.

While Bottas has shown promise in junior formulae, he hasn't yet competed in GP2 even and I think it's very presumptuous to think he can step into a race seat in 2013 and outperform any of our current drivers.

Button and Raikkonen have never raced in F3000 ... Koba in GP2 was one of many

For me it's what you can do in F1

Date: 29 March, 2012 10:22

Quote:
J4ck
Quote:
A.Fant

Button and Raikkonen have never raced in F3000 ... Koba in GP2 was one of many

For me it's what you can do in F1

Of course it's what you can do in F1 that counts, but there's a difference between seeming fast in Friday practices and being able to perform when the pressure is on.

I'm not sure where I want to go with this, maybe I'm just jealous Bottas might skip GP2 altogether while Ericsson is busy ruining his stock there. But Bottas isn't THAT young (22 y.o) and both our current drivers have better pre-F1 resumes than he does, so I'm a bit skeptical to the notion that he'd perform better than either of our drivers next year.

Posted by: crusty_bread (IP Logged)
Date: 29 March, 2012 11:51

In an F1 car, the team can use telemetry to compare each driver's input, their reflexes, judgement etc. They know if a driver was on a better programme or not, and whether their laptimes are good. It may be hard to judge their ability to handle pressure, but a fair assessment of pace should be pretty straightforward during a practice session.

Posted by: Anderis (IP Logged)
Date: 29 March, 2012 13:02

Your points A.Fant seem pretty strange to me.

Quote:
A.Fant
Of course it's what you can do in F1 that counts, but there's a difference between seeming fast in Friday practices and being able to perform when the pressure is on.
Our both current drivers don't seem to handle with pressure very well last time...
Don't see the reason why Bottas would be more likely not to perform under pressure than other guys.

Quote:
A.Fant
But Bottas isn't THAT young (22 y.o)
He is significantly younger than Senna and Maldonado were at their first years in F1.

Quote:
A.Fant
both our current drivers have better pre-F1 resumes than he does
Only due to that at the age when Bottas may secure F1 seat, they had to prove themselves in lower formulas if they wanted attract any interest of F1 teams.

Posted by: Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
Date: 29 March, 2012 13:28

There is no evidence that he would do any better, it's just a fantasy. People can't handle the fact that Bruno is in F1 because of who his uncle was. I remember the same sorts of things being said about F1 World Champions with the Williams team, Damon Hill and Jaques Villeneuve.

Bottas did 25 or more races in F3 and only won a single race. Hardly stunning is it? In British F3 he didnt get a pole, a win or any points at all. Not Classified.

He MAY be the next big thing but he may not. Why this fixation on the guy?

Posted by: Gunk (IP Logged)
Date: 29 March, 2012 14:09

I agree about stability, and it really would solve a lot of problems if Pastor and Bruno came good.

Besides Bottas, what other options for 2013 are there? The top drivers are pretty much spoken for.

And of those with experience, I don't think we've ever shown any interest people like Glock and Kovalainen.

Sutil is complicated. Ex-Williams drivers rarely return. It doesn't leave a lot.

Date: 29 March, 2012 14:41

Quote:
Anderis
Your points A.Fant seem pretty strange to me.
Quote:
A.Fant
Our both current drivers don't seem to handle with pressure very well last time...
Don't see the reason why Bottas would be more likely not to perform under pressure than other guys.

Quote:
A.Fant
But Bottas isn't THAT young (22 y.o)
He is significantly younger than Senna and Maldonado were at their first years in F1.

Quote:
A.Fant
both our current drivers have better pre-F1 resumes than he does
Only due to that at the age when Bottas may secure F1 seat, they had to prove themselves in lower formulas if they wanted attract any interest of F1 teams.

I don't deny that my post may be irrational, I flat out dislike all Finnish drivers except Hδkkinen primarily because I'm Swedish, and the rest is because I feel they are more highly rated purely due to their nationality.

So my post was basically me throwing all possible criticisms at the wall and hoping that something would stick.

But even through all my bias, I still somewhat doubt that Bottas is likely to be a lot better than Maldonado or Senna.

Still, the performance of the team is #1, and I'd be happy if I was wrong and Bottas was the next best thing. But I still think we should've kept one of the Nicos...

Posted by: j-s (IP Logged)
Date: 29 March, 2012 20:14

agree with Fant, Bottas is an unknown and hasn't made a sufficiently convincing argument to merit a full time drive. If he's consistently faster than Pastor and Bruno during practice then I'd give him consideration. But not otherwise. And especially not after a single weekend.

He's a good driver, but swooning over him is not logical. Yet.

Posted by: Mikef1 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 March, 2012 20:43

Without a doubt the most boring and pointless topic on this forum. It's just gone race 2. So we are 1/10th through the season. We'll revisit this after race 15

Posted by: Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
Date: 29 March, 2012 21:10

Amen

Posted by: SehnKhan (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2012 08:25

Quote:
Mikef1
Without a doubt the most boring and pointless topic on this forum. It's just gone race 2. So we are 1/10th through the season. We'll revisit this after race 15

Jesus, don't shoot the messenger - I just saw it and thought I'd share the comment with this forum.

http://oi61.tinypic.com/znwlmt.jpg

SehnKhan and Williams F1 Team - Together Since 1989

Posted by: Gunk (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2012 16:55

Quote:
SehnKhan
Quote:
Mikef1

Jesus, don't shoot the messenger - I just saw it and thought I'd share the comment with this forum.

It's not a pointless topic. Teams should have some idea what they're doing about drivers months ahead of time . . . otherwise you are left with no options. Mid season is traditionally silly season, so it's constant evaluation.

We're only two races in and Perez is almost at Ferrari. Williams did a very early deal with Barrichello in 09, if you remember. The Pastor deal was done months in advance too.

Posted by: Anderis (IP Logged)
Date: 04 April, 2012 13:12

[forums.autosport.com]

Good topic about Bottas for those who claim that he was nothing special in pre-F1 etc.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net