Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sam Michael
tom2002 (IP Logged)
11 June, 2012 20:29
Great long interview with Sam on Sky f1 channel after the race. He spoke a lot of sence. Seems like a great guy with a great mind. Shame he was streched so much at Williams. Looks like he has found a role that suits both sides.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2012 21:36 by tom2002.

Re: Sam Michael
drunkmunky (IP Logged)
11 June, 2012 21:06
link?

Anderis (IP Logged)
11 June, 2012 21:09
I've never thought that Sam was useless, but McLaren don't look particularly impressive this season in the area that Sam should be responsible for them, do they?

Quote:
ramy_85
I think that after the livery launch Anderis is no longer a Williams fan, not even a fake one smiling smiley

wevets (IP Logged)
12 June, 2012 04:17
Many great speakers are pretty useless.

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
12 June, 2012 08:45
It does seem that Mclaren have fallen apart on the operations front. Way too many pit stop errors and the like. If that is what he's in charge of, they must be wondering if they have made a terrible mistake.

j-s (IP Logged)
12 June, 2012 17:50
I agree that he was stretched too thin at Williams. too much things going on. He was a diligent and dedicated TD.

Best of luck to him in Macca. And thanks for that Lewis fuel mixup in Spain!

pgj (IP Logged)
12 June, 2012 18:31
Sam is a nice bloke that talks a lot of sense. He is not a great manager though. No one forced him to take on all the responsibility that he did. You could understand someone like Adrian taking on two or three roles. He has been there and got the tee shirt. Sam never really produced a good car. Yes he had plenty of financial constraints. But ultimately it was not his workload that resulted in his problems at Williams. It was his inability to delegate. By taking on too many roles he was reducing dissent/discussion within the team and ultimately he watered down the knowledge pool that the the car was being developed from.

I wish Sam all the best and I hope in a quiet moment he can revisit and learn from his mistakes at Williams.

Williams and proud of it.

K1 (IP Logged)
12 June, 2012 23:38
sorry PJ but that is just so wrong. if anyone is to shoulder any blame then it has to lie squarely on the shoulders of FW,PH and AP.

they were the senior management, who, if they had been observant, would've seen where the problem lay and fixed it. to allow the situation to carry on for so long is simply a sad and sorry affair. just my opinion as an armchair critic.

crusty_bread (IP Logged)
14 June, 2012 17:34
The results both at Williams and Mclaren speak louder than Michael's talk. Williams retained a structure that worked successfully for 30 years. It's a structure Red Bull seem to adopt too, and Newey has the abilities to manage without complaint. I can fully understand SFW's reluctance to hire 2 people to do the job of 1 more talented individual, that is of course assuming Michael would have been able to work successfully with someone else.

K1 (IP Logged)
14 June, 2012 23:21
so how many people left/got pushed out and how many replaced them?

if year after year results are getting worse continuing to do the same thing[same people] will not result in any positive changes. that is not clever.

i am not sure what happens at RBR but i think that you will find that AN is more than ably supported by a team of crack people.

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
15 June, 2012 00:55
I agree with K1 here. We knew what SM's remit was at Williams and it seems things are a lot better since he left. He should have been removed sooner by the people above him. They have a collective responsibility to the whole company.

Now it seems what he has been put in charge of at Mclaren which was working fine is falling apart.

Any patterns here? I wonder if the Mclaren board will be as patient. Somehow I think they will and like Williams, will come to regret it.

mayhemfunkster (IP Logged)
15 June, 2012 10:49
I am far from a Sam fan, but McLaren were always strategically a bit...prone to daft mistakes - who would look at a radar going "no rain for 10 minutes" and planning accordingly while their drivers skate off the track in a storm (this has happened several times). Their data-led approach often tripped them up compared to the data with Human instinct approach Brawn uses for instance.

I personally think that their pit stop problems will be a typical McLaren smart ar5e pushing the envelope too hard situation. They are so hell-bent on living up to their mantra that they miss the fact that it is better to do a Ferrari and do every stop in 3.5/4 seconds like clockwork than try to do it in 3 and mess up every other time. Regardless of the car at their disposal, Ferrari have always been quite a sharp race team. Even in the dark days of the 90s pre-Brawn.

Sam can't have screwed McLaren up that quick. I can't see how one man can destroy McLaren so quickly.

If it isn't just unfortunate timing though, McLaren have screwed up BAD. If it is true many at Williams will be pi55ing themselves!!

mayhemlurker ;-)

crusty_bread (IP Logged)
16 June, 2012 20:35
When Sam Michael was made TD at Williams, reliability was an utter disaster until Patrick Head stepped in.

16 June, 2012 20:45
Didn't they employ someone whose sole focus was reliability in 2007ish?

mayhemlurker ;-)

crusty_bread (IP Logged)
16 June, 2012 22:23
I thought it was Patrick Head who was appointed Head of engineering in the wake of the 2006 season. Was someone else appointed too?

16 June, 2012 23:00
I seem to remember something along those lines, but can't remember who it was. Frank Dernie was hired as roving engineer around that time, but don't think it was his job.

Damn memory!

mayhemlurker ;-)

azouris (IP Logged)
25 June, 2012 09:12
Sam Michael under fire amid McLaren problems
By Editor on Monday, June 25, 2012

Sam Michael is in the spotlight as McLaren continues to struggle in the pits in 2012.

Williams’ former technical director had to leave Williams at the end of last year as the beleaguered team restructured, and so he switched to McLaren to be sporting director.

But his new tenure got off to a difficult start in 2012 amid recurring problems particularly during crucial pitstops — one of Michael’s responsibilities.

The latest problem struck in Valencia on Sunday, with a failed front jack arguably costing Lewis Hamilton a shot at victory.

“Can somebody please tell me how Sam Michael still has a job at McLaren?” asked race fan Wes Howes on Twitter.

Telegraph journalist Tom Cary agreed that Michael, 41, “is coming under sustained fire” for McLaren’s problems this season.

Grandprixdiary noted on Twitter: “McLaren were brilliant and Williams were rubbish. Then Sam Michael changed teams.”

Pitflaps added: “When I see Sam Michael at McLaren I conjure up a picture of Frank Williams stroking a white cat, chuckling to himself.”

25 June, 2012 09:29
LOL @ Pitflaps!

Nice one Azouris thumbs down

mayhemlurker ;-)

Lamag (IP Logged)
25 June, 2012 12:25
I told you guys, Sam Michael is a loser. It only took Williams just five race to win again since Sam Michael leave the team.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/06/2012 12:29 by Lamag.

joepr (IP Logged)
26 June, 2012 23:00
Quote:
Lamag
I told you guys, Sam Michael is a loser. It only took Williams just five race to win again since Sam Michael leave the team.

Technically it took longer than five races. Michael left Williams after the Korean race in 2011. So it took Williams 9 races after Michael left the team.

Now we need a surgeon for a brain transplant for Maldonado's head and balls for Senna to see if we can finish better in the championship.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net