Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

2014 F1 cars - 'ugly' rumours
TerraNova19 (IP Logged)
14 October, 2013 15:40
Ferrari's de la Rosa admits 2014 car 'ugly' rumours

Pedro de la Rosa has heard the paddock whispers about 'ugly'-looking formula one cars in 2014.
Adrian Newey, the designer of the dominant Red Bulls of the past few seasons, revealed last week that his car for next year's radical new rules is not pretty.
Asked if he has seen Ferrari's 2014 car, test driver Pedro de la Rosa said no.
"I heard that they are going to be different," the Spaniard told Marca sports newspaper, echoing Newey's claim that the nose of the cars will be "very low".
When asked if the new Ferrari is 'ugly', he answered: "I don't know.
"It's true that you hear comments, not only here but in other teams, of people saying 'Hey, our car is very ugly, is yours?'" added de la Rosa.
Ultimately, the biggest question is about whether the new rules will shake up the pecking order in F1 -- or, more specifically, will Red Bull's dominance finally end?
"No idea," de la Rosa smiled. "Honestly. We are working hard, but without any reference.
"But for the first time, the engine will have a significance about equal or even greater than the aerodynamics," he added.

Re: 2014 F1 cars - 'ugly' rumours
Anderis (IP Logged)
14 October, 2013 15:57
Good to read. I like ugly cars. grinning smiley

TerraNova19 (IP Logged)
14 October, 2013 16:02
Newey reveals that 2014 Red Bull RB10 is ugly
11 October, 2013

Adrian Newey
Red Bull designer Adrian Newey has admitted the new RB10 he is penning for the 2014 season is ugly.

“The new Red Bull is ugly. Unfortunately,” he is quoted by the German news agency SID.

Briton Newey, widely regarded as the best car designer in Formula 1, is not at Suzuka this weekend as he focuses instead on the challenge of the radical 2014 rules.

He said he is working on the RB10 for “four of the five days” of the working week.

He said the reason for the ‘ugly’ 2014 car is because of the new aerodynamic rules, sending designers down the path of penning a “hook nose”.

But the bigger concern for Formula 1′s technical boffins is the new powertrain rules, which Newey said are “more complex than ever before”.

Agreed Alain Prost, Renault ambassador: “We have three engine manufacturers, and none of them are particularly optimistic.

“Reliability is the biggest challenge at the moment, to be honest,” he added.

Mercedes’ Toto Wolff, however, is excited.

“A month ago I was in Maranello and saw their engine factory and thought: ‘German engineering ingenuity against Italian improvisation and French laissez-faire’.”

Ferrari driver Felipe Massa, however, is most concerned about the ‘show’.

“Yes, it could be very frustrating to have to save fuel,” said the Brazilian at Suzuka.

“I just hope it can be interesting to watch for the spectators and viewers and that it can also be interesting for the drivers,” he added.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/10/2013 16:04 by TerraNova19.

ronald.paloschi (IP Logged)
14 October, 2013 16:02
You get used to it.
The only thing I cannot stand are the huge airboxes of the 70's. That's ugly as hell!

Orocairion (IP Logged)
14 October, 2013 16:13
I wonder if when Newey refers to "hook nose", it means cars will look a bit like the early 80's siblings but longer or will they look like the horrid W01/BGP001 nose.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
14 October, 2013 16:26
I thought the BGP 001 was a beautiful car. I think however, these cars are allegedly going to be low nose but an arch behind them on the underside to allow for a higher chassis for the suspensions.

Darron (IP Logged)
14 October, 2013 18:13
I always preferred the lower nose cars, they looked far more sleek

TerraNova19 (IP Logged)
14 October, 2013 18:22
Interesting comments. The focus was on the "new nose design" Nobody made comments regarding the bold sections.

I think the new regulation could help Williams design team because the accent is put one the engine + ERS (looks like Mercedes are doing well here) and the mechanical side of the car (gear box + suspension etc...).

The Aero is less important. At least for the first year of the new regulations.

Regarding the next year Vettel made a comment: "next year will be very important how gentle you are with the gas pedal!" It will be critical. For the race every car will have only 100 kg of fuel for 300 km .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/10/2013 18:28 by TerraNova19.

Anderis (IP Logged)
14 October, 2013 18:27
Quote:
TerraNova19
"next year will be very important how gentle you are with the gas pedal!"
Button FTW then.

crusty_bread (IP Logged)
14 October, 2013 18:53
Quote:
Darron

I quite liked the early 1996 ferrari, or the very low nosed cars of the late 1980's/early 90's, but that was clean and elegant.

These could look like Cyril Sneer

Supporting Image

Darron (IP Logged)
14 October, 2013 20:03
Quote:
crusty_bread
Quote:
Darron

I quite liked the early 1996 ferrari, or the very low nosed cars of the late 1980's/early 90's, but that was clean and elegant.

These could look like Cyril Sneer

Supporting Image

Ha! I had an image like that in my head, but couldn't put a name to hit, bang on there crusty!

Similar to the 2003 still-born and 2004 McLaren's those low point needle type noses aren't so nice. The 2005 McLaren was far better.

AlanJones (IP Logged)
14 October, 2013 22:32
Crusty, just forget comparing next years looks to the beauty of a car the Ferrari F310 of 1996 was.
The chassis height will remain the same as this year. Which means that we, most likely, will see the stepped nose including the hook nose.
It took me a while to get used to the small rear wings, the ridiculous wide front wings whom wil disappear next season (jeeej!!) and the stepped nose. Im sure the cars of next season will grow on me in a while.
I just hope we will see more roads that lead to Rome. see more variations on this design. Thats why I loved the F310 so much. It had an oldschool low nose at the start of the season. All the others went with the more efficient high nose concept. Eventually evolving in the zero keel concept, which I do not see next season as big of an influence anymore since the low noses. Maybe we will see some beautiful designs. Maybe they will be ugly. We will see it by the end of january 2014.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/i4045w.jpg

WILLIAMS MARTINI RACING

Est. 2014

Darron (IP Logged)
15 October, 2013 03:17
The 1989/1990 Ferrari noses were also things of beauty.

The 1990 Williams had a sort of broken nose effect, wonder if the new nose will be something along those lines

It was interesting in 1996 how the teams came up with different concepts for the cars, incorporating the higher cockpit sides. Williams and Jordan went for sleeker designs, whereas McLaren and Ferrari went for the real bulky sides.

Then Ferrari had a failed nose job mid season, god that car was ugly then

ronald.paloschi (IP Logged)
15 October, 2013 03:43
Quote:
Darron
The 1990 Williams had a sort of broken nose effect, wonder if the new nose will be something along those lines

Hope so... that was nice!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net