Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
About to lose one of our biggest assets
Andrew Hooper (IP Logged)
03 January, 2017 13:47
Looks like all the media talk has Valtteri going to Mercedes. For me Williams has got it all wrong given away for some financial gain one of the teams major assets as they go into a new season, one of such major technical changes.

If Claire has made the decision to allow Valtteri to go she has got it totally wrong. Felipe is no where near as good as Valtteri, assuming Felipe replaces Valtteri. Or is 2017 just going to be another one of those Williams years where we all hope that things go well but they simply don't and the team drops further down the order.

Re: About to lose one of our biggest assets
Albi-Quin (IP Logged)
03 January, 2017 13:50
Andrew, here's one for you!
Williams will keep Valterri and have signed Massa who we'll lend out to Mercedes!!!!
Just for the year.....(Sm22)

Gwanni (IP Logged)
03 January, 2017 13:58
Pascal Wehrlein joins Sauber, deal is going to be confirmed in a matter of hours, that leaves bottas to Williams. If it wasn't the new regulations I would have taken a sabbatical as there is no comparison between bottas and massa!

MartiniSalad (IP Logged)
03 January, 2017 14:11
It's a big loss. Valtteri was a points hoover. The thing that miffs me is we've nurtured a pretty good young talent through the ranks, and not even got a race win with him yet. That's the kick in the nuts. We've just gotta hope on Lance, not on Felipe. Felipe's help could nurture him, but then again, if he's good, who's to say he won't get whisked away eventually too...

You can only get over your fears if you attack them head on - Mika Hakkinen

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
03 January, 2017 18:49
Fact is that until we build a top 3 car we will always be a proving ground for new talent waiting for the call up. There is no point being bitter about that. If we want good drivers to stay, we need to give them a winning car. The end.

Anderis (IP Logged)
03 January, 2017 20:27
We should have kept Bruno instead of Valtteri.

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
03 January, 2017 21:23
Very true. Would have done better than Massa.

AlanJones (IP Logged)
04 January, 2017 00:23
Anderis! Welcome back blue boy!

Andrew, take in account that we are nothing more than a subtop team. Nothing magical, nothing interesting. This could change if Lowe actually joins. An overhaul of our engineering department would be welcome. And should James Key and Dirk de Beer join as well, as rumours keep on flocking in about this, then I'm more than happy to see 2017 off as a learning year for Stroll. Whoever is in the other seat, I couldn't care less. But ONLY if Lowe, Key and de Beer join as well.

And MartiniSalad, you're gutted that we haven't won a race with Bottas. I'm more gutted that we didn't have a podium with Hulkenberg back in the day. To me, Hulkenberg is the biggest talent ever to have risen from the driver development programme. Well the other one is Bottas so there is not much flavour. But one has to have its favorite.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

Whitey-67 (IP Logged)
04 January, 2017 06:33
Yep Andrew I think Valtteri is a big loss for Williams, Like I have said I can see Williams only finishing 6th at best in the WCC for the next 3 years at least.

Whitey-67 (IP Logged)
04 January, 2017 06:37
If Merc want Bottas he must be pretty darn good or else why would Merc even want him, Williams suck for letting him go they should have never let him go.

Williams let bigger teams just take from them, what has become of this once great team from 20 years ago,...in the wilderness for 20 years and counting I mean WTF Williams WTF!

speed (IP Logged)
04 January, 2017 07:38
Williams blocked his Ferrari move, they probably couldn't have stopped his Merc transfer without him sulking & causing acrimony. Also, a mid field team will always lose talent till they come up with a race winner. So, if Lowe, Key, Beer are on the way in, we should, in theory, be alright in the longer term.

AlanJones (IP Logged)
04 January, 2017 07:53
Exactly my thought Speed..

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

Myvatn (IP Logged)
04 January, 2017 10:09
I'll wait for the situation to fully unfold, but with the team already going backwards in 2016 and a likely stronger competition in 2017 (Honda and Renault can't go on failing forever) it does not look good at all to lose our TD and our best driver a couple months before the start of the season.

Massa - Stroll is a weak pairing (reminds me of Barrichello - Maldonado in 2011, even if I hope Stroll at least has a brain), but what worries me most is the technical department, as we lost Symonds and despite the Lowe talks no high profile substitute has been signed yet.

As I said it is early days and I hope the team proves me wrong, but I am a bit worried.

Whitey-67 (IP Logged)
04 January, 2017 12:09
Plus Williams budget is only 100 million dollars compared to teams like Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari who all have budgets over 200 million dollars.

MartiniSalad (IP Logged)
04 January, 2017 12:39
They have even more than that to use, they could pour in even more if they really wanted to, but it'd affect the other businesses. It'll rise up slowly.

You can only get over your fears if you attack them head on - Mika Hakkinen

j-s (IP Logged)
04 January, 2017 16:02
It's a good move for Bottas, and it may turn out well for Williams in the longer term. Lowe, Stroll and cash, a cheap Massa to steer development, maybe cheaper engines for a few years. We lose Bottas but, honestly, it's not like he has beaten Massa by leaps and bounds. Solid but not truly top shelf. At least not according to the past couple of years.

I'd love for him to stay and win with Williams, obviously. I like Bottas a lot. But drivers come and go. Always have, always will. So be it.

Whitey-67 (IP Logged)
05 January, 2017 06:51
O/T post...Josh Hazlewood = dikhead.

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
05 January, 2017 13:56
I'm interested to see how Bottas plays it against Lewis. I think it's far from a foregone conclusion. He may well raise his game against the war that is coming. Happy for him too. He's a nice guy and deserves a chance in a top car.

I'm not worried about Williams. If anything, excited. We are looking at some good people and money is coming plus probably still the best engine on the cheap. I suspect Lowe will be announced at the car launch.

Yes, we are a little weak on the driver side, we think. Massa is steady but can do the job and we have no idea how Stroll will go and I'm sure there will be some errors and maybe a string of bad results to make us panic. But longer term, I think he is the real deal and has money in the bank. Then we have 12 months to find a good partner for him. Maybe if can build a good car, Perez will be tempted.

Duffer (IP Logged)
05 January, 2017 14:29
Pfft, bottas is no great loss. Massa return is poor. Stroll may be a fake. In the @#$%& id say.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii244/jock298/Duffer_2Sig.png

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 13:17 by Duffer.

EagleF1 (IP Logged)
05 January, 2017 15:00
The thing with Bottas is he always gets the maximum available and if he carries that form into Mercedes then he'll go far, he's quick and reliable... versus Massa who is very quick when he's motivated but doesn't get the most out of the car when he's a bit down or running in traffic. But he will show the ultimate pace of the car on occasion and keep Martini happy as well. As long as the rumoured technical folks arrive then 2018 onwards is looking pretty good and for the fist time in over a decade money is less of an issue. Pat Symonds said a couple of times that 20m extra budget would make the difference for Williams and now they have it.

Really hope that all works out and we pull in someone like Perez, Grosjean, Sainz for 2018

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net