Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Heidfeld vs Webber
MartiniSalad (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 12:39
This has been rearing it's head... think I should make an arena here for it to be settled. It's one of the inter team battles that's interested me most, looking back, because it was far from clear cut. Their 2005 season reminds me of Bottas and Massa's 2014, so in other words, successful, but there should've been a win, however it eluded both.

You can only get over your fears if you attack them head on - Mika Hakkinen

Re: Heidfeld vs Webber
Whitey-67 (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 13:23
I think both of them were very good F1 drivers shame they never got that win for Williams.

K1 (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 13:26
Well that was some 12 years ago MS and memories tend to become hazy but on the day 'quick nick' heidfeld was fast. That is acknowledged. Webber was also very very fast and on the day could be unbeatable. The F1 team principals have the data and they can assess what a driver is capable of. The fact that webber went on to create a decent career under the most difficult of circumstances tells us a great deal about his qualities as an F1 driver. F1 history is littered with drivers that were hot, for a while, but faded quickly. The fact that webber raced for as long as he did and that he is ranked at 34 in the all time list of race winning F1 drivers is not to be taken lightly. It is a fact that ferrari tried very hard to get webber to come on over, not once but twice! All F1 driver are very good....just that some are better then others and some have that distinction and the race wins, resulting from being in the right place at the right time. It's all history now but interesting none the less.

MartiniSalad (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 13:57
That's very true, and Webber would be proud of how he's achieved more than most F1 drivers. The reason for this forum was to see how far this debate goes, it's a team mate battle that's hard to decipher and there's many points of view.

Whitey-67 (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 14:05
Heidfeld beat Webber on points that year but does that make him better than Webber??

After all Kvyat beat Ricciardo on points too does that mean Kvyat is better than Ricciardo??

AlanJones (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 14:46
Tier 2 drivers! Second hand b*llsh*t! Booo!!

I'd pick Webber over Heidfeld. On personality. By default they were about as good.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

Mehryar (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 15:24
Same level drivers, Webber abit more exciting because of his personality...solid drivers but only good for second seat.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

MartiniSalad (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 16:27
Kvyat vs Ric is a really good parallel actually Whitey. That battle interested me a lot. I did like seeing Kvyat at RB...

j-s (IP Logged)
15 February, 2017 01:18
The only thing that comes to mind with those two is the sad retrospective on their brief tenures at Williams. Really liked both of them. Nick had a cattish indifference to the team, clearly a BMW guy. That sucked. Webber simply got too entitled and simply lost any kind of empathy towards the team. Losing factory engines will do that, I guess, as will constant mechanical DNFs.

I rate them both. I like them both. I resent them both. Much like every other Williams driver in the past 15 years. Except Maldonado. He was terrible.

K1 (IP Logged)
15 February, 2017 02:31
@ J-S interesting viewpoint however Frank Williams did say later that, 'we shouldn't have lost webber' and that 'we promised him a car and we didn't deliver'. Both those quotes are not verbatim but my recollection of events so i stand to be corrected on the wording but not the context. To say that webber exhibited an element of 'entitlement' [please document that for me, or is that just a personal opinion] is, IMO, wide of the mark. He made a career choice based on a promise that was never fulfilled.Fortunately he was able to revive it but at some expense....

Duffer (IP Logged)
15 February, 2017 08:50
Wide of the Mark...

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii244/jock298/Duffer_2Sig.png

j-s (IP Logged)
15 February, 2017 18:35
Hey K1, nice to see you back. I somewhat agree. He didn't get the car he wanted. Didn't get the contract he wanted. So he left. I have no problem with that. Entitled may not be the right word for it though.

He wasn't bad for a number 2 driver. cough cough

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
15 February, 2017 21:00
Nick runs like a girl and Mark looks a bit like Superman.

Neither of them either won anything much.

The end.

K1 (IP Logged)
16 February, 2017 01:29
Thanks for the post J-S. still rumbling on in the steamy capital? What's all the news for down there vis a vis the trumpster taking office?

K1 (IP Logged)
16 February, 2017 01:31
Hahaha, ozzie,neither of them won very much? just remind me how many F1 races quick nick won after they both left williams?

MartiniSalad (IP Logged)
16 February, 2017 07:57
Ozzy's settled it, no doubt.

K1 (IP Logged)
16 February, 2017 08:06
Hahaha...no Ozzie doesn't get to settle it until he answers my last post. Then we can bury it and concentrate on '17.

Duffer (IP Logged)
16 February, 2017 09:25
He never said they won the same, he said neher won much. I think saying webber never won much when he is reasonably positioned on the winners all time list is not correct.

In my opinion, webber should have won much more, but didnt, hence a tier 2 rating and well deserved.

Not many drivers are gifted the best car 4 years running.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii244/jock298/Duffer_2Sig.png

phatjack (IP Logged)
16 February, 2017 09:39
Now that settles it.

"When you talk, you are repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new." - Dalai Lama

Whitey-67 (IP Logged)
16 February, 2017 09:41
Yeah Webbers strike rate was not that great in the Red Bull, he only won nine races in 4 years of the best car...Vettel took a lot of wins from Webber.

In all fairness to Webber tho he came up against a red hot Vettel for 4 years in a row.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net