Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Bottas deal
Craig atkin (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 05:47
So is anybody else wondering what Williams actually got from Mercedes for releasing bottas.no paddy yet,hope it's free engines to cover loss of points and construction money for this year.its not a dig at lance is still young and in his rookie year and massa,well who knows which massa will turn up to race this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/03/2017 10:20 by Craig atkin.

Re: Bottas deal
Whitey-67 (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 06:31
Mercedes paid Williams money for Bottas, didn't they?? How much??

crusty_bread (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 11:13
It's hard to separate Lance Sr funding from Mercedes payoff money, but the fact that Williams bought De Beer, Lowe and are courting Key had made them the most predatorial team of the moment.

andy si (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 12:36
Despite our best wishes.. Paddy is still a no-show shroud of mistery!

Mehryar (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 13:38
I can't find where but I remember Toto saying "Paddy" is going for his challenge after a GARDENING LEAVE period and we wish him blah blah..."
I was worried just when I read this.It was short days before 1st of March (predicted time for Paddy to start his role in Williams) so it wouldn't make sense to point out to this period if it was for 20-25days.

I see 0% of Paddy not comming to us or joining another team, impossible imho.a man of his calibre and credit wouldn't stay on ground or be ignored.If there was another team who had a deal with him, there were some news already...it's whether about his gardening leave period time which must be longer than what we all hoped for or simply he wants time out of F1.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

K1 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 00:25
My original reading indicated that Lowe was simply out of contract in December and that meant that there was no 'gardening leave' due! If he is really coming to Williams then i think that the holdup may be more to with his contractual dealings with Williams rather than with Mercedes...but i'm only guessing.

j-s (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 01:53
I thought the announcement would come sooner... but nothing has come out saying he´s not coming, so. I´m optimistic. But not certain by any means.

redline (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 05:05
thumbs down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/04/2017 12:10 by redline.

Whitey-67 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 08:16
Quote:
redline
WOLFF: TOO EARLY FOR WEHRLEIN TO BE HAMILTON’S TEAMMATE
Wolff admitted that extracting Bottas from Williams came at a price, “We could not make them an offer without offering something in return. Claire Williams is a clever businesswoman.”

“We discussed not only financial matters. Williams also required an experienced driver and Felipe had to be persuaded to return. But in the end everyone is happy.”

Word is that the cost for releasing Bottas was $5 million, with Massa tempted back for another year by a $6-million carrot and another $5-million discount on their power units supplied to Williams.

When asked if Mercedes were footing Massa’s salary, he replied, “Yes, obviously.”

That's not that good of a deal for Williams is it??

A.Fant (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 08:27
Quote:
Whitey-67
Quote:
redline
WOLFF: TOO EARLY FOR WEHRLEIN TO BE HAMILTON’S TEAMMATE
Wolff admitted that extracting Bottas from Williams came at a price, “We could not make them an offer without offering something in return. Claire Williams is a clever businesswoman.”

“We discussed not only financial matters. Williams also required an experienced driver and Felipe had to be persuaded to return. But in the end everyone is happy.”

Word is that the cost for releasing Bottas was $5 million, with Massa tempted back for another year by a $6-million carrot and another $5-million discount on their power units supplied to Williams.

When asked if Mercedes were footing Massa’s salary, he replied, “Yes, obviously.”

That's not that good of a deal for Williams is it??

$16M is a pretty good deal in my book.

AlanJones (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 09:14
Fant. I read it as 10mil minus 6 for massa is 4mil profit for Williams.
Thats a bit out of the order where we all hoped it would end up. But it is still a big profit. More than we all make in a year I reckon. And considering its the salary for Key, Paddy, de Beer and some spare cash for hiring good employees at the right departments, Id say any amount of profit on this deal is a good profit.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

A.Fant (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 10:03
Quote:
AlanJones
Fant. I read it as 10mil minus 6 for massa is 4mil profit for Williams.
Thats a bit out of the order where we all hoped it would end up. But it is still a big profit. More than we all make in a year I reckon. And considering its the salary for Key, Paddy, de Beer and some spare cash for hiring good employees at the right departments, Id say any amount of profit on this deal is a good profit.

It could certainly be interpreted as that as well, which would be slightly disappointing I admit. But as you said, not something to turn up your nose at.

I just interprested the "yes, obviously" as Mercedes paying Massa on top of the $5M payment and the $5M discount.

crusty_bread (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 11:42
I disagree. I don't think Toto would be calling Claire a clever businesswoman and point out the fact that she discussed with him her need to have an experienced driver, only for her to foot the bill for the $6m carrot herself.

Further, Felipe was on $4.5m in 2016. So being offered a wage of $6m would be a carrot in itself, which is how I interpreted the article. the $6m carrot is his salary, and therefore what Mercedes paid for Williams to have Massa.

Whitey-67 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 11:53
Mercedes wanted Bottas, Claire Williams should have asked Mercedes for more money, it should have been name your price, Claire should have said to Mercedes she wants $50m, Mercedes really wanted Bottas and would have paid $50m for him.

Claire got played by Mercedes she let Bottas go to easily the price should have been $50m, Mercedes would have paid that.

andy si (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 14:46
Well.. what do we know IF extra perks are aslo included... mu guess is, they are.

EagleF1 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 15:32
I can't remember where I read it, I know I didn't hear it first hand but the deal of $5m release fee, $6m Massa Salary and $5m engine discount is what I understood as well. But also consider we lost Wihuri which was worth $3m so overall about $13m net package. I think that's fair enough for his calibre (and I rate him highly)

TerraNova19 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 16:37
Changing of the old guard
by Mark Hughes on 1st February 2017

[www.motorsportmagazine.com]

"Williams has rightly played hardball in its negotiations with Mercedes over Bottas. Rumours of a €20 million settlement, if true, would be ample to allow Williams to make the necessary upgrades. "

Craig atkin (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 18:26
If Paul pogba and other footballers are worth 80 million then y not ask same for bottas.f1 is on par with football and the big f1 teams probably have more cash to spend than man Utd and Madrid

crusty_bread (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 19:13
Why would Williams be given $80m for Bottas when Lewis, 3 times WDC is on $41m, and that's if he hits all his bonuses? $13m up trading Bottas for Massa, when both were on similar salaries is a good deal. Claire couldn't hold Mercedes entirely to ransom. Mercedes could have tried bribing Haas for Grosjean, or Renault for Hulkenberg, or bitten the bullet and taken a risk on Wehrlein for nothing, so it's important she didn't overplay her hand. Alonso and Vettel are free in 2018 anyway so I really can't see why Mercedes would have been prepared to pay any more than they did. In fact, Im a little surprised they went with Bottas over Wehrlein considering the relative costs. I guess Bottas being managed by Toto, they felt he deserved his shot first. But can you imagine Lewis sounding off had Mercedes offered more for Bottas than they were paying Lewis? They would have driven up the drivers market in one fell swoop! So like I say, bagging the swag was a decent move. After approaches from Ferrari and Renault previously, she was at a very high risk of un-motivating the very asset she was trying to keep, so she really wasn't able to dictate negotiations. At the end of the day, Bottas hasn't even won a race.

It's interesting to compare F1 to football- F1 drivers take greater risks for starters, however, football is a bigger sport- more money involved, and the big F1 teams have other costs to consider like hiring 500+ of the best engineers and designers in the world to design and manufacture the best car in the world. In F1, the driver is only a part of the package.

Whitey-67 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 19:14
Quote:
Craig atkin
If Paul pogba and other footballers are worth 80 million then y not ask same for bottas.f1 is on par with football and the big f1 teams probably have more cash to spend than man Utd and Madrid

I agree Mercedes got Bottas cheap, if I ran Williams I would have asked for 50 million for Bottas and Merc would have paid it, I would have played hard ball with Mercedes and
stood firm on the price.
50 million would have been the price.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net