Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Current Page: 1 of 17
Realistic time scale for first upgrade.
gpl (IP Logged)
26 March, 2017 23:02
Any thoughts on when the first upgrade will come from the new tech team.

Re: Realistic time scale for first upgrade.
Mehryar (IP Logged)
26 March, 2017 23:19
Spain

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

Gunk (IP Logged)
26 March, 2017 23:27
Logic would suggest Bahrain in-season tests in April.

Current package should be ok until then. If the FW 40 is born of its predecessors, it will go well in China, not so bad in Bahrain.

Fortunately, these are historically quite good tracks for Massa too.

andy si (IP Logged)
27 March, 2017 14:03
thumbs down

Mr. Pink (IP Logged)
27 March, 2017 14:51
Summer, I cant see anything sooner.
There will probably be an upgrade for Spain but it is still a pipeline from before.

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/8830/logoqz0.gif
Sir Frank: "It's what we do, we love doing it. It's like oxygen, it fixes you".

crusty_bread (IP Logged)
27 March, 2017 18:32
I think quite soon. New regs- lots of low hanging fruit. Williams have had seasons when they bring upgrades to most tracks. My only concern is this whole windtunnel correlation issue. Perhaps they may want to fix that first. We shall see.

andy si (IP Logged)
27 March, 2017 18:47
Quote:
crusty_bread
I think quite soon. New regs- lots of low hanging fruit. Williams have had seasons when they bring upgrades to most tracks. My only concern is this whole windtunnel correlation issue. Perhaps they may want to fix that first. We shall see.

Mu thoughts as well.. a cautious approach will be most prudent. This is not the first time Williams has a corelation problem between windtunnel and the track... in fact it may be a problem continuing from the time of introduction of the new wind tunnel.

It's worth identifying and solving... and then copying the Ferrari sidepods. Ours are a work in progress and would benefit from a redesign.

tomazy (IP Logged)
27 March, 2017 19:07
Well, the realistic time scale for the first update is the first race in my opinion. The lack of update in Melburne could be down to the change in tehnical staff or it could be down to money. Why bring an half update an spend resorces on it if the real one will come a few races later.

campos7 (IP Logged)
27 March, 2017 19:09
Quote:
Mehryar
Spain

Catalonia

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/9255/uy6ursz2.jpg

Francesc (IP Logged)
27 March, 2017 20:30
Quote:
campos7
Quote:
Mehryar
Spain

Catalonia

Hehe well said!

Quote:
Mr. Pink
Summer, I cant see anything sooner.
There will probably be an upgrade for Spain but it is still a pipeline from before.

This. Probably Canada or Silverstone at latest.

AlanJones (IP Logged)
27 March, 2017 20:58
The first European race, Catalunya, is history wise seen preferred by many teams to bring in big updates.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

Stuart L (IP Logged)
27 March, 2017 21:09
Think they will be seen at Kemble airfield for a straight line test

Mr. Pink (IP Logged)
28 March, 2017 10:50
I think some of you missed the question.
It was not when we will see an update in general but when the update will be made from the new tech team.

As far as I know lead time is minimum a few months. You need to see what to change, then design the change in CFD, test it in the scaled wind tunnel and then produce the actual part for the car. We are talking 3-6 months IMO...

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/8830/logoqz0.gif
Sir Frank: "It's what we do, we love doing it. It's like oxygen, it fixes you".

Whitey-67 (IP Logged)
28 March, 2017 11:02
Quote:
Mr. Pink
It was not when we will see an update in general but when the update will be made from the new tech team.

As far as I know lead time is minimum a few months. You need to see what to change, then design the change in CFD, test it in the scaled wind tunnel and then produce the actual part for the car. We are talking 3-6 months IMO...

I agree with this I will say around 4 months.

phatjack (IP Logged)
28 March, 2017 11:08
Quote:
Mr. Pink

An update I think is considered to be something along the lines of adding a winglet here and there to improve performance. An upgrade I think would be something like a completely new front wing to fix a serious issue.

Based on that understanding I think updates from the new tech team will be considerablly shorter than 3-6 months.

"When you talk, you are repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new." - Dalai Lama

crusty_bread (IP Logged)
28 March, 2017 11:31
Another question is, at what point did Williams start developing this car?

Once the car design is signed off and sent into production, (when? Last December? Sooner?) the R&D team don't sit back and wait till Melbourne before putting their hands on their mouses again. There will be ideas in the pipeline before the car hit the track, and a hell of a lot more generated the moment the FW40 started churning out data at Barcelona, which is why we have seen development parts added less than a month into the season in the past.

Realistically, China and Bahrain are back to back, so I think Russia 2 weeks later is possibly on for small modifications, with a decent update for Barcelona in a month and a half.

But I don't want the team to throw expensive bits at the car asap and hope some stick. I'd much prefer a thoughtful approach, with the new tech team analysing what went wrong with the windtunnel, fixing it, and then coming together and bringing a stream of major updates- aero, suspension etc from mid-season on. I'd take Williams slipping behind FI and TR in the short term, if it got Williams within 0.5 of the leaders by the end of the season.

Gunk (IP Logged)
28 March, 2017 13:26
Quote:
Rob Smedley
“My point of view, and I’ve said this for quite a while, is it is not really important where you are now, because recovery will either be so quick for yourself or your competitors if you are having issues.

"So I think the main thing is to get development on the car as quickly as possible.”

They won't be testing nothing in Bahrain.

AlanJones (IP Logged)
28 March, 2017 14:51
Quote:
Mr. Pink

In that point, yes. Maybe 3 months indeed. I'd say 6 as a safe bet. Still, considering Massa isn't a giant slayer and we're being off from RBR not that hopelessly far, I can see our foundation with the FW40 being solid. With the new team and their knowledge taking it into our 2018 campaign, the FW41 could very well be a gem.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

gpl (IP Logged)
04 April, 2017 10:20
All good points.

I think Russia or spain.

Cheers guys.

Whitey-67 (IP Logged)
04 April, 2017 12:22
O/T Williams need to get rid of Martini ASAP, they are a $hit sponsor thumbs up

Martini = (Sm8)

Current Page: 1 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net