Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Honda
Stu69 (IP Logged)
10 June, 2017 11:06
Should Claire be knocking down the door at Honda? I think so myself, 5 year punt on becoming title winning! All dependant on McLaren giving up with them.

Re: Honda
Gunk (IP Logged)
10 June, 2017 11:24
I don't see them ever catching up under the current regulations. They simply started too late. And as the Honda guy said, being out of the sport for even a short while left a huge technology gap.

williamsdb.com (IP Logged)
10 June, 2017 12:17
No, no, no, no, no, NOOOOOO!

http://www.williamsdb.com/side.jpg

Stu69 (IP Logged)
10 June, 2017 12:54
But.... would we be better off struggling with Honda yen or struggling with Canadian dollars?

Gunk (IP Logged)
10 June, 2017 13:02
Quote:
Stu69
But.... would we be better off struggling with Honda yen or struggling with Canadian dollars?

At the moment, Massa isn't struggling which he would be with Honda power. If anyone is talking with Honda, it will be about 2020+.

Damon96 (IP Logged)
10 June, 2017 14:17
I think it would be worth a punt, we want to win races and the WCC so lets see our options:
Merc - factory team - at the front - only chance of catching them is if Merc go engine supplier only and the team basically becomes Brawn again (or equivalent) would have to shed a lot of staff as the budget would take a hammering
Ferrari - will always have money - just depends on how incompetent they are
Red Bull - As Renault engine improves will be hard to keep up with their budget
Renault - if the engine improves - they are a works team so budget and infrastructure will improve

Mclaren (with Merc engines) / Force India / Williams - all customer teams fighting works teams i battle for sponsors and how good and efficient you are with resources

To be at the front - you need a works deal - so unless Audi or BMW come in I agree - Honda is worth a punt - they have to accept outside help and turn things around. Best thing they could do would be to move production & design o UK and tam up with Cosworth. Merc did that approach - worked well for them Ilmor.

campos7 (IP Logged)
10 June, 2017 14:45
If is as a works team, sure

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/9255/uy6ursz2.jpg

Stu69 (IP Logged)
10 June, 2017 15:52
Personally I do now think that the time is right to be buddying up ready to take advantage of McLaren walking away. 100 mill from Honda pa plus a couple more years of 25mill pa Stroll puts a better driver in the other seat plus development money to sort out internal infra structure and get things sharpened up. Bit of a punt but what could go wrong. (Don't ask Theresa May!)

crusty_bread (IP Logged)
10 June, 2017 16:27
No to Honda- unless they can get McLaren consistently into the top 10 this year- finishes that is. Then it may be worth thinking about- though reliability is still woeful. Right now, why would you consider taking on an engine that hasn't scored a point?

I'd rather see Williams stick to their guns and perhaps inherit a more prominent position with Mercedes should the race team withdraw. That would be far better.

Stu69 (IP Logged)
10 June, 2017 18:00
Quote:
crusty_bread
No to Honda- unless they can get McLaren consistently into the top 10 this year- finishes that is. Then it may be worth thinking about- though reliability is still woeful. Right now, why would you consider taking on an engine that hasn't scored a point?
I'd rather see Williams stick to their guns and perhaps inherit a more prominent position with Mercedes should the race team withdraw. That would be far better.

The Honda motor is getting better. We know it is far from perfect BUT it is getting better.

crusty_bread (IP Logged)
10 June, 2017 18:36
Well the planned upgrade for Canada never arrived, so technically, no it's not. winking smiley

forcedown (IP Logged)
10 June, 2017 22:12
Imagine,we have Honda + Stroll = ???

Stu69 (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 06:27
Quote:
forcedown
Imagine,we have Honda + Stroll = ???

That kind of cash buys Honda + Stroll + Ricardo or another top driver.

AlanJones (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 08:26
Quote:
crusty_bread
Well the planned upgrade for Canada never arrived, so technically, no it's not. winking smiley

The same goes for Renault. And last year Mercedes also delayed an upgrade. So what's the problem?

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

crusty_bread (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 10:14
Quote:
AlanJones
Quote:
crusty_bread

The same goes for Renault. And last year Mercedes also delayed an upgrade. So what's the problem?

The problem is they have no points, without this upgrade, they are probably doomed to yet another double retirement, and their works partner is already mighty cheesed off with them. So yes- failing to deliver on a promised upgrade is a big problem.

AlanJones (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 16:22
Say that to Alonso at P12 and both McLarens made it to Q3 in Monaco. For the past two races, McLaren has had a better qualifying average than us. So I don't think the grapes are that sour yet. And yes reliability is an issue. But the process forward on pace has been made by Honda thats undeniable. One who can not see this is blind.

Gunk (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 16:45
The way everyone is talking this weekend, looks like it is all over with McLaren and Honda.

AlanJones (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 16:50
So we should snap them up. Factory support any time over the current situation.

EagleF1 (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 19:44
No. Mercedes is our strongest asset right now.

andy si (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 19:48
Another one bites the dust. Honda must be quite embarrased by nos. Hope Ilien can help them ASAP!

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net