Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Current Page: 53 of 55

Re: Kubica in Williams?
Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 13:39
Rowland is superb and I would put him straight in the car. He is F1 ready, quick and a hard fighter. I would take him over any of the other candidates. But it doesn't seem that he is in the running.

We don't really know what Williams is waiting on and I suppose that it could be money from a total outside bet like Rowland. There were some quiet rumblings that his people were talking to the team.

No doubt Williams have their preferred line up and are just waiting on some confirmations before they make the decision.

Anderis (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 16:29
I really see no reason to rate Rowland over Sirotkin.

Sirotkin started his first full GP2 season when he was 19 with no previous GP2 experience and he finished 3rd overall.

Rowland started his first full GP2 season when he was 23 with a couple of races of GP2 experience from his previous season and finished 9th overall.

For me it's really significant how well you can do in your first GP2 season, because we've seen some drivers who stayed in GP2 for a long time and did well through experience but didn't really prove themselves to be that good elsewhere. Exceptional talents usually did well during their 1st season and it's always important not only to look at the results a driver achieved but also where he was placing himself against his opponents in terms of age and experience. Sirotkin was racing against older and more experienced drivers pretty much his whole career and that makes his results more impressive than they look at first glance.

Rowland's record is not bad but considering the most relevant feeders series only, which is GP2, he was not more impressive than Sirotkin IMO. His 2017 might have been a tad better than Sirotkin's 2016 in isolation, but if you take age and experience into account, Sirotkin is so much ahead in development. He would equal Rowland's 2017 age in 2020. Would Sirotkin take a dominant GP2 title before turning 25 if he kept going? I have no doubt. Rowland didn't.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 28/12/2017 16:33 by Anderis.

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 21:32
Fair enough. I rate them both to be honest and would happy for either to be in the car. I think Sirotkin is very under-rated and could become a very good F1 driver. Whether we want to be a driving school for 2 years is another matter.

I get the idea that Williams are just holding out to be in a good financial position when the field is leveled out spending wise. We know we can't take on Fiat or Merc at the moment so it's almost a holding pattern until a set of rules exist where we can. I don't think that's such a bad idea to be honest.

Marco Cardoso (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 10:43
Sirotkin will be a disappointment just as Stroll will continue to be.
Williams with this two drivers will be the worst driver line up only rivaling with Sauber and only because of Ericsson because they have Leclerc which is better then Sirotkin and Stroll.
Then there is a huge gap to the other driver pairings except maybe for Torro Rosso.
The only positive possibility is a good car but with bad drivers it won't do us any good.

https://goo.gl/images/VESYsm

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 12:13
A good car with average drivers will bring in many more points than a@#$%&car with the best drivers. Put Hamilton and Alonso in the 17 Mclaren. Would either have got anywhere near a podium?

We need a better car as No.1 priority. Then the talent will come to us.

I personally think Stroll will have a much better year in 18. If he can sort qualifying then all is good. He races well. Sirotkin or Rowland will be able to bring the car home in the points more often than not if it's fast enough. Kvyat for that matter.

03 January, 2018 14:50
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone
A good car with average drivers will bring in many more points than a@#$%&car with the best drivers. Put Hamilton and Alonso in the 17 Mclaren. Would either have got anywhere near a podium?

I personally think Stroll will have a much better year in 18. If he can sort qualifying then all is good. He races well. Sirotkin or Rowland will be able to bring the car home in the points more often than not if it's fast enough. Kvyat for that matter.

A good car will be at best the 4th fastest car in the field which would mean 7th or 8th in normal circumstances!

Now, 4th best without a big margin to Renault, McLaren and Hass or even TorroRosso.

Add that to near matching cars and sum Alonso, Sainz, Hulk, Grosjean, Vandoorne, Magnussen and Williams will be lapping aroud 11th/12th with these two drivers at best.

And this is just optimisticaly speaking.

You'll give ne reason after a couple of races Ozzy i'm sure of it.

M79 (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 07:42
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone

Amen to needing a better car in the first place. Secondly we need to be able to keep pace or surpass FI with in-season development. Thirdly, we should have some form of young driver programme, also partly to avoid the mess we are currently in regarding driver choice.

Once these things (and no doubt some other things..) are in place, we should start to worry about signing big-name drivers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2018 07:42 by M79.

05 January, 2018 10:07
"For several weeks, the media have already been certain that the Russian and not the Pole will become Williams' second driver for the season 2018. The situation is changing, however, because the SMP Bank, the main sponsor of Sergei Sirotkin, is in big trouble ...
The Russian central bank has canceled the issue of SMP Bank's bonds, thereby cutting it off from obtaining additional financing"

Russian money always brings trouble.

gpl (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 10:25
Maybe fate has stepped in.

05 January, 2018 11:41
Nah they will eventualy unlock the situation and will get stuck with Sirotkin too.

Gunk (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 05:50
We read, however, that SMP cash-flow problems did mean Aleshin lost his Indycar seat - more than once. (Bild)

06 January, 2018 12:02
They will unlock the situation i'm sure of it. In the US it's harder because SMP is blacklisted bit in Europe I don't think so.
BBC is reporting Sirotkin his sure for 2018 seat.

andy si (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 16:18
With these kind of roumors flying around on SMP, Williams will want it's sponsorship money 100% upfront or no deal. I'm thinking no deal is more likely. They can't have this sponsorship cash dissapear on them having planned on it...

Gunk (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 18:32
Quote:
andy si
With these kind of roumors flying around on SMP, Williams will want it's sponsorship money 100% upfront or no deal. I'm thinking no deal is more likely. They can't have this sponsorship cash dissapear on them having planned on it...

Sponsorship money is usually paid in tranches - very unlikely to be 100% up front. BILD implies that Williams are still waiting for the first tranche prior to announcing.

The story about the bank isn't rumour. 2017 was not a good year for SMP with a significant decline in profits and now a problem with the regulator.

It would be strange if a cash no-show happens for a third time with Sergei. As before, everyone was quite confident of the funds arriving . . . until they didn't.

pixel (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 19:06
Quote:
Gunk
Quote:
andy si

Sponsorship money is usually paid in tranches - very unlikely to be 100% up front. BILD implies that Williams are still waiting for the first tranche prior to announcing.

The story about the bank isn't rumour. 2017 was not a good year for SMP with a significant decline in profits and now a problem with the regulator.

It would be strange if a cash no-show happens for a third time with Sergei. As before, everyone was quite confident of the funds arriving . . . until they didn't.
I think all the PDVSA money for Maldonado had to be paid up front.

andy si (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 00:05
Quote:
Gunk
Quote:
andy si

Williams need the money.. the whole 2nd driver thing is revolving around that fact.
They do not want to go down the route of previous situations with no payment.. as has happened before with Sirotkin's backing from SMP.

It only makes sence asking for full 100% upfront or they will never see their full payment.

gpl (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 09:54
There is still a chance that Robert gets the drive.

The more i read about the Russian offer/cash flowr the worse it sounds
they cannot be trusted.

Lets get Robert on board untill the Russians pay the full amount upfront

If the 41 is competitive then Robert can make up the cash difference in point/prize money.

Gunk (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 17:12
The money may turn up, or not.

The question is, if you are Williams, how long do you wait?

Sponsorship is largely an emotional thing. If the situation changes in RK's favour, Nico will have to go again to his backers and re-enthuse them. Some may have gone cold on the idea, or even taken on other commitments. The longer you leave it, the more uncertain it becomes.

andy si (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 20:24
I'd say the seat fitting for testing would be late enough.
Also adapting the steering wheel to drivers wishes would also qualify as a deadline.

07 January, 2018 22:03
Nah that's made in hours the seat fitting. And steering wheels weren't changed for any driver during the Abu Dhabi test.

I'll be dissapointed but i'm already mentaly resigned Williams will sign Sirotkin unfortunatly and will suffer from that choice.

Robert would have been a much better option but by now even is sponsors may be looking for other series for him to get a drive at.

Current Page: 53 of 55

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net