Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
B spec confirmed?!
J4ck (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 22:25
[it.motorsport.com]

New gearbox and new rear suspension in the next races!!

Re: B spec confirmed?!
Francesc (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 22:36
Finally they're getting rid of the gearbox aluminium casing!

Mehryar (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 22:38
Anyone can translate directly? Google translate doesn't say it clearly.I can't see "gearbox" name in it...it says about rear suspension and weight saving for material.Interestingly the push is on 2 areas which alot of fans here were talking about in last few years : rear end.

Wonder what really prevented the last technical team to follow this path.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

J4ck (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 22:44
Quote:
Mehryar
Anyone can translate directly? Google translate doesn't say it clearly.I can't see "gearbox" name in it...it says about rear suspension and weight saving for material.Interestingly the push is on 2 areas which alot of fans here were talking about in last few years : rear end.

"Cambio" in italian is the gearbox smiling smiley

Jedi Master (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 22:46
never mind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/06/2017 19:36 by Jedi Master.

J4ck (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 22:48
Yeah..i remember this, good spot from you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/06/2017 12:48 by Andrew Hooper.

Jedi Master (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 22:51

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/06/2017 17:35 by Jedi Master.

Francesc (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 22:57
Thank you! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/06/2017 12:47 by Andrew Hooper.

andy si (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 05:04
Quote:
Mehryar

If you don't have an idea of what the upgrade is worth - in time on track, investment and cost of production, that you are stuck at the evaluation.. let alone implementation.

But come to think of it.. we already had (worked on) the carbon fibre gearbox a few years ago. Is this correct?

gpl (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 08:00
We need an extra tenth at each corner of the track
that should put us in the ball park.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/06/2017 12:46 by Andrew Hooper.

Stu69 (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 08:05
Stroll money getting used wisely!!

AlanJones (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 12:48
I've said it before and I'll say it again.. a revised back end with only suspension and gearbox changes do not qualify as a B spec in my book. But okay. Changes are coming, that ought to be considered as an upside..

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

Gunk (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 14:58
Quote:
andy si

If you don't have an idea of what the upgrade is worth - in time on track, investment and cost of production, that you are stuck at the evaluation.. let alone implementation.

When Pat first joined Williams, he said he was surprised they still made their own gearbox because 'there wasn't much to be gained in that area'.

tomazy (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 16:31
Quote:
AlanJones
I've said it before and I'll say it again.. a revised back end with only suspension and gearbox changes do not qualify as a B spec in my book. But okay. Changes are coming, that ought to be considered as an upside..

In my book it does qualify as a B spec (even if a team does not officialy call it that). Changing the gearbox during the seson is done weary rearly becouse it is a huge change. With this change there are other changes like rear suspension, rear crash structure, floor, bodywork. With those changes there are probably more changes like rear brake ducts, monkey seat, T wing and rear wing. And then on top of that, there is probably front aero and suspension update also.

There is only 1 thing bigger that you can do to a car and call it B spec, that is changing the engine manufacturer.

The next big update that you can do is change the monocoque, but that in my book is not B spec but an entiraly new car.

crusty_bread (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 19:16
encouraging news. Is this upgrade planned for Hungary then? The article didn't say.

AlanJones (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 20:22
Quote:
tomazy
The next big update that you can do is change the monocoque, but that in my book is not B spec but an entiraly new car.

And that is what I call a B spec. A gearbox is just an extensive upgrade.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

tomazy (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 20:42
But, by that definition, FW38 would be FW37B or even FW36C?

Gunk (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 21:20
If they are 'not bothering and all' until Hungary, one imagines this is testing a revision for next year's car.

Like Monaco, Hungary is an extremely poor circuit for Williams current concept.

crusty_bread (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 21:44
I think it was Jedi Master who suggested Hungary, about a month ago. I could be mistaken. It's a long lead time to design a new gearbox. It's normally the longest lead time of all, so it could have been something Lowe has been working on for quite some time, and that happens to be the soonest it's ready by.

forcedown (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 22:55
There is no problem with the gearbox. The main thing is our front wing n nose cone.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net