Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Canadian GP: Stroll scores first F1 points
Williams F1 (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 03:42
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 03:44 by Andrew Hooper.

Re: Canadian GP: Stroll scores first F1 points
Duffer (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 09:05
Sir Frank would be gutted to see that p9 photo, make no doubt. It is a little like primary school, where everyone is a winner. Scary stuff.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii244/jock298/Duffer_2Sig.png

dexter333 (IP Logged)
13 June, 2017 05:50
Quote:
Duffer
Sir Frank would be gutted to see that p9 photo, make no doubt. It is a little like primary school, where everyone is a winner. Scary stuff.

I agree,...A celebrating P9 photo,...wtf! (Sm8)

Awesome P9,...great. (Sm8)

dexter333 (IP Logged)
13 June, 2017 05:52
I guess they are celebrating Lance's first points, but P9 does not sound that great.

Stu69 (IP Logged)
13 June, 2017 12:40
P9 is a fantastic result for Lance and something he can grow from. Well worth celebrating. I was personally quite impressed with the way he achieved it starting from the back. Lots of over takes and holding Alonso back is no mean feat. Good job! Lance will never forget that race. Now let's target 8th then 7th etc etc. I have much more confidence in him having seen this performance.

Stu69 (IP Logged)
13 June, 2017 19:38
Nice quote from Lewis,

The ease in which Lewis Hamilton cantered to victory at the Canadian GP was summed up when the Mercedes driver gave Lance Stroll a thumbs up as he lapped the teenager.

Explaining his reasoning for doing so, Hamilton claims it wasn't just for the rookie moving out of his way, but that he wanted to acknowledge an impressive performance which eventually resulted in Stroll's first F1 points.

"I know he's had such a difficult season," Hamilton told Sky Sports F1. "He's been dropped in the deep end, with critics and all those different things you have when you're 18 and you're experiencing them for the first time in Formula 1 - in one of the most difficult seasons.

"He looked like he was doing a good job, and I was just wanted to acknowledge that."

dexter333 (IP Logged)
14 June, 2017 02:41
Nice from Lewis.

crusty_bread (IP Logged)
14 June, 2017 06:44
I liked that detail, but something about it puts me off.

To play devils advocate, Isn't it slightly patronising to congratulate a driver for doing well whilst you lap them? To do it then emphasises a pecking order, shows the world how dominant Lewis is to have the time to think about other's races, and it's also a veiled form of self-praise. It Stroll is doing well, check me out!

I sincerely hope Lewis isn't getting to that Senna-esque "statesman" stage of his career where he shows "respect" mentoring young drivers (which also happens to boost his ego) and then feels a sense of self-entitlement on track, where his demonstrations of "respect" to young drivers translates to assuming being given preferential treatment whilst racing from all young drivers in return.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/06/2017 06:47 by crusty_bread.

gpl (IP Logged)
14 June, 2017 07:43
I never ever trust what Lewis says or does.

I do not like the bloke at all but he is a very good driver.

Stu69 (IP Logged)
14 June, 2017 09:41
It's a load of bull. Lewis had no idea Lance was doing well. He gave him a wave to say "thanks for letting me through and by the way I am surprised to see you still running." The other sentiment is what he thought of later, or was told to say by his PR.

phatjack (IP Logged)
14 June, 2017 11:12
Some do protest too much. It's a good thing Lewis offered a "Thumbs Up" because an "Open Hand" gesture could have been interpreted in different ways.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/06/2017 11:33 by phatjack.

crusty_bread (IP Logged)
14 June, 2017 12:30
I would personally prefer a middle finger from someone who laps me than a thumbs up, because a middle finger suggests they are insecure enough to feel the need to rub their own success in your face, whereas the latter feels like genuinely smug supremacy. There is a ghost of a middle finger in any case.

But I do feel awful now. He meant well I'm sure and he does have a much faster car. It's not so hard to work out who is doing well when you are driving within yourself, in a lonely race working your way up and lapping the field. That's believable. He's sat through press conferences having to listen to endless questions that make Lance squirm beside him, so I'm taking it on face value. It just feels a bit unintentionally patronising.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/06/2017 12:32 by crusty_bread.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
14 June, 2017 17:00
Well done for P9.

Realistically, If Mas/Gro/Sai had not crashed out, that would have been P12 so the result is irrelevant.

However, what I will say was that he raced well. He was able to fight and overtake which was good to see, and I'm glad we took "some" points home while we hand yet another fistful to our competitors.

If this gives lance a bit of a boost and gets the media off his back, then I'll be happier. He needs to take another step performance wise before we can start praising his results, Felipe would have been fighting Ric for the podium spot. Not Alonso for P10.

crusty_bread (IP Logged)
14 June, 2017 18:09
True, but his performance was so strong in the race, that had he not had such a poor qualifying session (where the teams' decision not to give him fresh tyres could have been a factor, as you say )then he may have achieved a better result, rather than being bottled up behind the desperately slow Magnussen for 25 laps, so as you say, the result is irrelevant. With the 6th fastest lap and a stellar final stint in clear air, he drove well, he quietened the media, and he got some points.

phatjack (IP Logged)
15 June, 2017 11:04
Bingo Mikef1, include Max's retirement and it's P13 for the Canadian lad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/06/2017 11:05 by phatjack.

Rumblestrip (IP Logged)
15 June, 2017 18:15
Should we slipstream him behind Massa in Q1 and Q2 to get him forward in the pack?

crusty_bread (IP Logged)
15 June, 2017 18:32
He just needs to be put on a sensible tyre strategy for qualifying, and hope flags don't come out on his final run. The rest is down to experience. For a first effort competing in low downforce trim, he ended the weekend at a good level. Hopefully it will take him less time next time round.

tomazy (IP Logged)
15 June, 2017 20:09

Stu69 (IP Logged)
15 June, 2017 20:16
Quote:

Massa wants to stay! No surprise! Not my preferred choice.

crusty_bread (IP Logged)
15 June, 2017 20:37
out of curiosity, who would be, realistically?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net