Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Sainz To Replace Palmer In Hungary . . . And Other Rumours
Gunk (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 09:09
Latest rumour - via Bild and F1 Today.

Renault will pay 8m for Sainz apparently - who has ticked off RBR with the row last week. According to Bild they have severed ties with Sainz.

This obviously has implications for the Kubica rumour and a Hulk/Sainz combination puts some pressure on the other midfield teams including Williams.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/07/2017 13:21 by Gunk.

Re: Sainz To Replace Palmer In Hungary
Andrew Hooper (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 09:35
It would be a shame if Palmer is dropped before the end of the season. He is giving it his all and up to this point Renault has not provided him with a car to at try and put on a good performance.

forcedown (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 10:03
Who cares???? The point is Williams performance now like a @#$%&!!

Francesc (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 11:17
Quote:
Andrew Hooper
It would be a shame if Palmer is dropped before the end of the season. He is giving it his all and up to this point Renault has not provided him with a car to at try and put on a good performance.

What?? eye popping smiley Palmer has been miles off Hulkenberg. He doesn't deserve to be in F1. So good riddance.

Mehryar (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 12:22
So another door is shut for Fernando.
Ferrari boss declared they don't want him too, no room in RBR and Mercedes has every reason to retain Bottas.
It remains whether Honda start to make big steps till september or leaving F1 or Williams switch.
On a same time a bad news can turn to be a good one.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

Gunk (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 17:41
Quote:
Mehryar
So another door is shut for Fernando.
Ferrari boss declared they don't want him too, no room in RBR and Mercedes has every reason to retain Bottas.
It remains whether Honda start to make big steps till september or leaving F1 or Williams switch.
On a same time a bad news can turn to be a good one.

Every possible rumour around this weekend. Abiteboul has denied Hungary, but not the interest in Sainz. Rumours now that STR will take Honda.

Damon96 (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 21:27
The fact that Alonso wants an engine decision at Mclaren fast makes me think he doesn't want to leave and has no better option. He knows his best bet is Mac with a Merc. Can't see TR getting Honda engines - if Red Bull treated renault like @#$%& while still winning, what would they make of Honda....

M79 (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 07:11
I can't see why Sainz would want to move to Renault mid-season. He'd be faced with a pretty quick teammate and a car he does not know and can hardly test. This weekend in Q2 Palmer was almost a second off Hulk on a track he knows well. He's just not quick enough.

Toro Rosso taking Honda is a gamble although it could make sense for Red Bull as they could monitor development and switch when Honda do come good.

The fact that Alonso is pushing for a quick McLaren engine decission indeed points to a lack of options for him. Realistically I think at the moment they are Renault, Williams and McLaren. Both at Renault and Williams he'd have to accept a significant salary reduction I expect.

AlanJones (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 07:25
Well changing teams mid season is something that one does not do to actually make a mark on the running season. It must be seen as an investment into 2018 in this case.
Carlos would know the team already in 2018 should he move now, he knows the structure of the team by then, the way they work, the car itself, the updates during the previous season and how they worked out, the way his new teammate works during weekends and all sorts of things like this that he already learns this season instead of during the short winter period. Same goes for Gasly ofcourse. So I think it would be a wise decission to actually move mid season if you know you are on a path that is going nowhere or when you are closing in on a dead end anyway.

Edit: Plus in this case both teams can afford to take this gamble. Renault has nothing to lose. Anything is better than Jolyon (with all due respect).
And STR has an abysmal season that is already considered as a lost season. They wanted to be fifth at the end. But they have us in front and Renault closing in rapidly. STR knows they will have to make a change to get ahead again next season. And if that means letting one driver go (the one driver that disturbs the "zen" of the team already for some time now) and putting a driver in his seat to warm him up for a full season in 2018 where he could perform from the go, than thats a risk worth taking.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/07/2017 07:31 by AlanJones.

Gunk (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 12:53
That's two or three big stories from the German media that have seemed to self-destruct.

Although not entirely. We still don't know if Sauber will use Honda engines or something else in 2018.

The STR relationship with Sainz does seem terminal, like his relationship with Kvyat. Part of the story at least may be true. Some people are saying it is Sainz himself (or Sainz Senior) who plants these stories. Kvyat is now getting a lot of flack but maybe some of it unfairly. It takes two to tangle.

The Honda to STR story. Well, journos who are reporting (or should I say speculating) on this are saying how it makes perfect sense and would be win-win. These are the same people who are saying it was a no no, rubbish idea for Sauber and Monisha should have been fired for even thinking about it. Make of that what you will.

I agree with AJ that it would be very useful to rescue Gasly from Super Formula and prepare him for next year. (Where he is currently a Honda driver.) There will be at least one if not two seats going next year.

M79 (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 14:41
Quote:
Gunk
I agree with AJ that it would be very useful to rescue Gasly from Super Formula and prepare him for next year. (Where he is currently a Honda driver.) There will be at least one if not two seats going next year.

I agree to that too. But if Kvyat were to be let go too, who would Red Bull have in their programme to fill the second TR seat? I don't see Nico Kari as F1 material ATM.
IMHO keeping Kvyat does not make much sense either. He does not seem to (re-)develop any further as a driver. He's got three and a half seasons in F1 under his belt now, but he remains a bit of a liability in the car.

Gunk (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 15:54
Quote:
M79
. . . if Kvyat were to be let go too, who would Red Bull have in their programme to fill the second TR seat? I don't see Nico Kari as F1 material ATM.
IMHO keeping Kvyat does not make much sense either. He does not seem to (re-)develop any further as a driver. He's got three and a half seasons in F1 under his belt now, but he remains a bit of a liability in the car.

STR is a customer team. It can run whoever. It can even run different engines to RBR if there's a business case, as it has in the past. Mercedes has placed Wehrlein at a Ferrari engined team. STR has lots of options.

This Kvyat-Sainz spat is just crazy. Never mind the blood, sweat and tears, it costs millions to put two cars on the grid and they wipe out both by the first corner.

AlanJones (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 16:28
News has emerged that STR has a backlog of items to produce thanks to the recent damages done by Danill "the Torpedo" Kvyat and Carlos "I'm a spoiled brat that should've been promoted instead of Verstappen" Sainz. A realistic scenario is that one of the drivers has to drop back to a spec car that drove in China. Incredible if this should turns out to be true.

On the case of a replacement for Kvyat, I can't see past the idea that STR desperately would want to keep Kvyat to prevent a driver lineup that wouldn't bring the team forward. Gasly is a certainty, but there isn't a second Verstappen in the Red Bull ranks. Not even a second Gasly at this moment.

Gunk (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 17:17
Quote:
AlanJones
On the case of a replacement for Kvyat, I can't see past the idea that STR desperately would want to keep Kvyat to prevent a driver lineup that wouldn't bring the team forward. Gasly is a certainty, but there isn't a second Verstappen in the Red Bull ranks. Not even a second Gasly at this moment.

Well, there's Giovinazzi and LeClerc looking for a seat. They can't both go to Haas. That other DAMS guy, the Canadian alongside Rowland looks promising. He might be worth a discount from Renault.

It's a shame about Palmer but, it took him four years to win GP2 and there wasn't much competition around. Nasr was the runner up.

AlanJones (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 17:27
I have a hard time believing STR would contract any other driver than a driver from the Red Bull stable.

M79 (IP Logged)
18 July, 2017 07:39
Quote:
AlanJones
I have a hard time believing STR would contract any other driver than a driver from the Red Bull stable.

Me too, but they just haven't got two guys on their books that are up to the job. Keeping Kvyat on for next year doesn't make sense either. He's not at all a medium/long-term prospect.

I just don't see Leclerc or Giovinazzi ending up at Toro Rosso being Ferrari junior drivers. That would leave Latifi or Albon but their results do not (yet) warrant contention for a mid-field F1 race seat.

Aside:
The lack of seriously promising drivers in the pipeline is also a problem for Williams I think. Who are they going to get on board to replace Massa?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/07/2017 07:41 by M79.

Re: Sainz To Replace Palmer In Hungary . . . And Other Rumours
TMT (IP Logged)
18 July, 2017 07:48
M79 yeah that is interesting, Just who is going to replace Massa?

AlanJones (IP Logged)
18 July, 2017 09:08
The only young drivers that could enter STR are Gasly, Kari, Verschoor and Thicktum. Of which only Gasly and Kari are eligible for a superlicense under the current standings.

Gasly is known, but Kari isnt ready. The only other driver that pops up would be Buemi. Still sponsored by Red Bull in Formula E and a very very quick driver. In my opinion Gasly and Buemi would be a good line up for STR next season.

On replacing Massa, well we do not have a Bottas or Hulk as young driver do we now? We have Di Resta, but dont take that too seriously. So other than Perez, Kvyat, Grosjean and Wehrlein I dont see any drivers that could be an addition to our team and who are perhaps quite cheap/easy to get. Sainz, Stoffel, Ocon and Ricciardo are quite more expensive to get even if they would want to join us.
So that leaves looking at young guns in the lower classes. And well that is quite disturbing. Looking at the top 3 of F2 there is only 1 driver that is in my opinion fit for ever joining F1 and that is LeClerc. But he is Ferrari's. So, Markelov? No, hes in his 4th season and has never done anything great. Rowland? Also his 3rd season already and he hasnt really shown much progression.

Formula 3 then? Well the current top three there are Gunther, Eriksson and Norris. Norris is Wokings, so hes off the chart. Gunther? Well hes in front only because of his experience. But he isnt that spectacular. Eriksson could be promising. MartiniSalad told last year already that Eriksson is quite good and MS has been right all along.
GP3? The top three there are Russell who is Mercedes' protege, Hubert and Fukuzumi. Well to be fair to the latter two, they simply are not spectacular.

So lets add it up; realistic young drivers for us could be Rowland, Russell (thanks to Mercedes) and Eriksson. But as long as all of them do not win their respectable championships, they are all not eligible for a Superlicense. Russell would even prove hard to get him licensed even if he would win the championship.

My two cents are on Wehrlein. But in case we cant manage to get him, Perez, Kvyat or Grosjean, it will be another year with Massa in 2018.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/07/2017 09:12 by AlanJones.

M79 (IP Logged)
18 July, 2017 09:34
Quote:
AlanJones

My two cents are on Wehrlein. But in case we cant manage to get him, Perez, Kvyat or Grosjean, it will be another year with Massa in 2018.

Right on AJ, if you ask me:
- Wehrlein is our best bet, and he does actually seem like a very quick & capable set of hands
- Perez will not switch to a less competitve car. Besides he's a cocky a**ehole imho...
- Kvyat should not be in F1 after this season, better keep Massa then.
- Grosjean could be a possibility, but I'd strongly prefer Wehrlein.

Drivers from junior formulae should not be in contention, the current rookie (labelled "future superstar" (Sm147)) has already been more than enough of a challenge for the composites department.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/07/2017 09:36 by M79.

TerraNova19 (IP Logged)
18 July, 2017 09:54
I agree: Wehrlein looks like a good option! Now he has enough experience to hire him.
Hire for one year with extensions. That give Williams opportunities on drivers market in the next years.

What about Kimi? Ferrari offered him 5 mil. euro for one year.
Kimi did not accepted yet.
Gone are the days when his retainer was in 10 - 15 mil euro braket.

So for 6-7 mil. euro Williams could get Kimi. They already are paying Massa at least 5 mil. euro.
It will be a good market ploy for Williams Martini Racing.

Alonso options are very limited.
Merc, R.B., Ferrari are out of reach.

So it could be: McLaren-Honda, McLaren-Renault, IndyCar series or ... Williams.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 18/07/2017 10:04 by TerraNova19.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net