Latest News:

2017 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
The hottest rumour in the Spa paddock today: Williams offered Fernando Alonso a cockpit for 2018.
TerraNova19 (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 18:02

Re: The hottest rumour in the Spa paddock today: Williams offered Fernando Alonso a cockpit for 2018.
AlanJones (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 18:10
And another one: DanRic has signed for Ferrari as from 2019.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

Re: The hottest rumour in the Spa paddock today: Williams offered Fernando Alonso a cockpit for 2018.
TerraNova19 (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 18:13
Summary:

- an offer has been made by Williams
- Stoll's father is working on the deal - intresting

Francesc (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 18:15
No way he would think about it for a single second. Right now Williams is a sinking ship and he prefers to have a good salary.

TerraNova19 (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 18:22
Quote:
Francesc
No way he would think about it for a single second. Right now Williams is a sinking ship and he prefers to have a good salary.

I agree! I think the rumors came from him! He knows how to play the game!

The news coming to the press so fast make me think the deal will not happen!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/08/2017 18:25 by TerraNova19.

AlanJones (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 18:23
Francesc, never say never. Lowe was one of the main reasons why Alonso joined McLaren for Renault. And for the money he doesnt have to do it. If he wants to be racing a decent car, Williams is the fourth pick (and the first available pick) of the field. No matter what the points say compared to Force India.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

TerraNova19 (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 18:32
Martini are very interested into the deal. That mean they would fork some money too!

I do not know how good are the relation between Stroll and the owners of Santander Group.
If Santander Group could be involved the deal could happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/08/2017 18:46 by TerraNova19.

Mehryar (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 18:44
I'm wondering why should he consider this move?
Their chasis is so so so much better than ours that even with Honda engine, they are infront of us.
Honda is on the up, Our aero development is on the way down.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

Vancha (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 18:49
Early in the year, an insider at Williams wrote for a deal with Santander.. Can't find member & post..

TerraNova19 (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 18:51
Quote:
Mehryar
Their chasis is so so so much better than ours that even with Honda engine, they are infront of us.

Belgian Grand Prix: Alonso 'no confidence' in Honda's ability

[www.gptoday.com]

TerraNova19 (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 19:04
Quote:
Vancha
Early in the year, an insider at Williams wrote for a deal with Santander.. Can't find member & post..

Stroll's involvement is quite intriguing !!!

Mehryar (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 19:10
Terra Nova, It's a dream for me to see Fernando drive our car so we will see the true potential of ourcar and the level of the other driver of team.
But if he has no confidence in a recovering engine supplier as size of Honda, how can he have faith in a team which finishes a power circuit practice session at the bottom of timing list with Mercedes engine?

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

TerraNova19 (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 19:20
Quote:
Mehryar
Terra Nova, It's a dream for me to see Fernando drive our car so we will see the true potential of ourcar and the level of the other driver of team.
But if he has no confidence in a recovering engine supplier as size of Honda, how can he have faith in a team which finishes a power circuit practice session at the bottom of timing list with Mercedes engine?

Difficult for me to give you an answer!
May be they have a card in their hands (like a vey good Technical Director !?)

TerraNova19 (IP Logged)
26 August, 2017 04:25
Schizophrenic question of the day: is there just a simple coincidence between Massa's accident in the morning and the afternoon news related to Alonso's offer?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 26/08/2017 05:46 by TerraNova19.

TerraNova19 (IP Logged)
26 August, 2017 06:05
Quote:
Mehryar

Got a possible answer!

Ferrari showed that they are strong this year. Next year they will be stronger.

Mercedes knows their F1 domination has ended - with this generation of engines. It is better to have cars with Mercedes engines winning than a just a direct fight Mercedes - Ferrari.

What is best strategy for Mercedes to fight Ferrari next year?

An answer could be having 3-4 cars (2 Mercedes + 1 Williams + and may be 1 F.I.) against 2 Ferraris.

"I'm wondering why should he consider this move?" - a Mercedes promise to help Williams (with some tech)could change Alonso way of thinking. Even the money would not be so important.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 26/08/2017 06:12 by TerraNova19.

phatjack (IP Logged)
26 August, 2017 08:12
Interesting these rumours surface at the same time Button makes some noise about a return.

TerraNova19 (IP Logged)
26 August, 2017 08:51
Quote:
phatjack
Interesting these rumours surface at the same time Button makes some noise about a return.

for Williams will either J.B. or Alonso. Same for McLaren smiling smiley

TerraNova19 (IP Logged)
26 August, 2017 08:57
11:44 Alonso to Williams?
Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer at Spa-Francorchamps

So, here's a thing. I was discussing the ongoing McLaren/Honda/Renault/ToroRosso engine saga with a very senior figure on Friday and the conversation ended with them suggesting that it was quite likely that in the end everything would stay the same as now. So, I asked, what happens to Fernando Alonso (who has lost faith in Honda, as Honda themselves admitted on Thursday) “He’s going to Williams, isn't he?” the person said as they walked away. “That’s what I heard.”

That brought me up short, you could say. So, the question is, is Alonso going to Williams? Well, it’s very unlikely but not completely impossible. Williams have sounded him out, but only in the way teams sounds out all drivers to see where they are ahead of deliberations about their driver line-up, which have not happened yet. So it is massively premature, to say the least.

The bottom line is that Alonso is expensive and wants a winning car. And Williams don’t have a huge budget or a quick car. However, they are ambitious and are struggling at the moment, and part of the reason is a driver line-up that is clearly not going to get the best out of the machinery. The reality is that Felipe Massa was on average 0.5secs off Alonso when they were Ferrari team-mates and Lance Stroll is usually about that sort of margin off Massa. So it’s not hard to see the benefit a driver of Alonso’s calibre.

Whether Williams feel they are ready for that sort of pressure is a different question. And with Stroll’s billionaire father Lawrence an influential figure in the team as a result of the reputed $20m he is providing this year, the question arises of whether having Alonso as his team-mate would be a good thing for Stroll Jr. He’d certainly learn a lot but what being alongside a gold standard who’s on the limit on every lap would do for his confidence is another matter.

That’s the Williams side of it. As for Alonso, you have to ask whether it would be a good move. Honda is struggling, and showing no signs of significant improvement. But while it it’s quite possible McLaren will end up sticking with them, a switch to Renault is still a possibility. And a McLaren with a Renault in it would be quicker than a Williams, based on this year’s performance. A McLaren with a Honda in it is already sometimes quicker than a Williams. He’d be swapping a good car with a poor engine for a mediocre car wth a good engine. Much of a muchness, in other words. And with less possibility to do things like race in the Indy 500.

TerraNova19 (IP Logged)
26 August, 2017 11:15
Lauda: 'Alonso and McLaren was all about the money!'

Niki Lauda© XPB

Phillip van Osten
26/08/2017 at 09:11

Niki Lauda admits he doesn't feel any sympathy for Fernando Alonso's current plight, believing it all started three years ago with a decision based on money.

Alonso left Ferrari at the end of 2014 for a lucrative contract with McLaren-Honda. While there's no disputing the material benefit associated with his move to Woking, rewards out on the race track have been non-existent.

Former colleagues Nico Rosberg and Mark Webber feel sorry for the two-time world champion whose career has gone nowhere fast in the past three years.

But unsurprisingly, Lauda feels no compassion for the Spaniard. Asked what advice he has for Alonso, the Mercedes non-executive offered a cold response.

"Nothing at all," he said. "He's where he is because he wanted to make a lot of money at McLaren."

Alonso Williams bound? Let's keep it real...
On the subject of the future of Mercedes' drivers beyond 2018, when Lewis Hamilton's current contract expires, Lauda insists it's still a long way off.

"2019 is still far away -- I'm not worried," Lauda told Speed Week.

"We will soon be able to say something about 2018. Personally, I'm very satisfied with Bottas.

"I think our lineup is the strongest, because together Vettel and Raikkonen are weaker and Verstappen and Ricciardo are less stable," he added.

Lauda also denied once again that Max Verstappen and Sebastian Vettel have been targeted by Mercedes for the future.

"Verstappen is waiting for a top car and is disappointed now, but he must fulfil his contract," he said.

"Vettel will stay with Ferrari," Lauda added. "So it's not an issue for us."

Damon96 (IP Logged)
26 August, 2017 11:48
He'd only come to Williams if we could show we had another £100 million + i.e. a works deal - but as we don't and we do a@#$%&job with a good engine, why would he move to us, Renault is on the up so are a much better prospect and I suspect he'll demand an Indy 500 and maybe a Le Mans drive if he stays at mclaren. What do we offer, really fast pit stops. We need Wiliams Porsche or Williams Jaguar to come along. A better scenario would be Mclaren ditch Honda and go Renault + Alonso - we get Honda + Button + works backing. If they have brought Ilmor - as long as they are willing to accept help and not take the Japanese knows best approach - Honda could turn it round.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net