Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Williams most beloved driver of all time
phatjack (IP Logged)
07 November, 2017 21:27
This thread is inspired by some friendly banter I exchanged with some of you in other threads.

This thread is not about "National Pride" because we all can be guilty of that from time to time.

As so many great driver's drove for "Britain's Team" which driver stood out to you above all the others?

"When you talk, you are repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new." - Dalai Lama

Re: Williams most beloved driver of all time
Marco Cardoso (IP Logged)
07 November, 2017 22:19
I became a fan of Williams when I was about 14 yo and for unfortunate reasons, as I was mainly a Senna fan and after losing the driver I'd stay up at what ever time the races where to watch, I started following the team and year after year it grew on me.
So, that said, my favourite driver was of course Ayrton but he didn't made history at Williams due to what we all know.

So historicaly probably it was Mansell.

Marco Cardoso

I've been wrong before and i'll be wrong again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2017 07:17 by Marco Cardoso.

AlanJones (IP Logged)
07 November, 2017 22:38
Started watching F1 in Mansells second stint at Williams. But it took until Monty before I really got hooked to a Williams driver. After that only Hulkenberg since he grew up 5miles from where I grew up. So, really only Monty.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

Carbon Industries (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 05:05
For me it would have to be Ayrton.

gpl (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 09:09
I have 4 of my favourite Williams drivers

Alan Jones

Keke Rosberg

Nige of course

Montoya.

Mehryar (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 09:58
JPM all the way.
He and Patrick Head were the reasons I turned to a Williams fan.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

williams4284 (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 09:59
Since I started watching all F1 races from 1997, (before that I was still very young and followed in part though I remember very well Senna) I have to saw that Montoya was our best till then. He was the real deal for us. He deserved the 2003 title but we started that year very badly and it was only until Monaco that we got going. Then there was ralf who trimmed a lot of points that could have been taken by the lead driver had we been a ferrari like philosophy team.

Maybe one day his son will drive for us, if he is as good as his dad. That would be magic.

Anderis (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 11:07
Well, I had started in 2007 and I've always had a soft spot for both Nico Rosberg and Alex Wurz.

Duffer (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 11:07
Cant stand montoya. A love him or hate him sort.

The answer has to be nige, hands down.

Never liked keke, jonesy was before my time and kind of u der the radar for me.

Senna was never really a willaiams boy, so while some of you live him, he was no son of williams. He is a mcLaren and lotus man to me.

There have been more bad than good. That list would go on forever.

The only real answer is nige.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii244/jock298/Duffer_2Sig.png

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 11:53
Mansell. The end.

andy si (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 22:36
Montoya.. you always knew that as long he was close to the top he could kick anybody's ass on the day.

The day he crashed Michael Schumacher Mythos... European GP at Nurburgring!
One move and on the outside no less.. and MS was no longer a racing god any more.

phatjack (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 22:48
Even a camera man .... Montoya for sure was a character ...

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2017 22:49 by phatjack.

Stuart L (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 07:14
This is a great thread idea.

For me Damon Hill is an incredibly sincere driver who seems to still have the best instincts of the team at heart 21 years in since his title and departure. You can see it in his interviews, he seems to be an unofficial ambassador for the team and no team ever resents having an ex world champion in their hospitality box.

I think with time we recognise him as a good driver, how good we will never really know because he will always have the labelling of having the best car on the grid at the time.

I like the Rosbergs. Really appreciated they both came as a pair to Williams 40th at Silverstone. You sense they both thank Frank and Patrick.

Prost was my all time favourite driver and I think I saw 9 of his races live in 1993 when he won the title. But with only 1 year with the team he can't be the most beloved of our drivers.

Montoya. Loved him. Just a mega positive flamboyant character. He was mega in the BMW Williams, and he could / should have won the 2003 title and us the constructors bar FIA v definitely been seen to interpret rules in Ferraris favour.

I like Bottas. The guy has great behaviours and carries himself well. He just gathers point after point and is a v good defensive driver. Articulate and intelligent, was pleased he came to Williams movie premiere after leaving team so that shows his respect for team.

Massa has done well, he and a Bottas gave us a fresh face to sponsors, and in that regard we are losing a v liked charachter at the end of the season.

Mansell must be mentioned. A marmite character, loved by the average football fan and he inspired a generation to follow the sport. From Adelaide tyre blow outs, to people power and then winning the title in the most advanced car of its time, I think he probably (and it really pains me to say it as I wasn't a fan of his) is the most beloved character in the publics mind to have driven for Williams.

09 November, 2017 08:03
How did Montoya never win a WDC? He was pretty good but never ended up being a WDC.

gpl (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 08:40
He was over aggressive at times and it cost him a championship.

Mehryar (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 09:21
It was not his aggression that cost us and JPM the title.
1.first 5 races we were no where.
2.FIA ruled in favor of Ferrari/Bridgestone against Williams/Mclaren
3.What happened in USA was a complete joke, I think that was the most clear support for Ferrari.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

Jasper777 (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 09:42
whoever drives for Williams is my favorite (at the time) regardless of results or ability. I'm a fan of the team 1st drivers are a long way behind. if I had to pick it would be between two drivers.

Prost the professor for his work ethic and professionalism.

Montoya for his balls to the wall driving style and flamboyance.

all this talk of Kubica, Kvyat etc etc I would prefer Kubica injury permitting because IMO he combines attributes of both Prost and Montoya.

regardless once a Williams Fan always a Williams fan.

(Sm42)

M79 (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 10:56
My Top3:

1. Nigel Mansell, simply legendary
2. JPM, for being well.... an *rsehole at time but a great driver too.
3. Damon Hill, for being such a gentleman at all times
4. Ricardo Patrese, for some reason I do have a soft spot for him

ghettonation (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 12:07
Like M79 I have a fondness for Ricardo Patrese too, and I agree with everyones choice of driver but to be honest my favourite is Alessandro Zanardi. I know he only lasted one season with us and we didn't give him a good car but look at what he did in other series. The pass he did on Bryan herta at laguna sea was legendary. And the way he's conducted himself since his crash had been inspirational

09 November, 2017 12:17
Quote:
ghettonation
Like M79 I have a fondness for Ricardo Patrese too, and I agree with everyones choice of driver but to be honest my favourite is Alessandro Zanardi. I know he only lasted one season with us and we didn't give him a good car but look at what he did in other series. The pass he did on Bryan herta at laguna sea was legendary. And the way he's conducted himself since his crash had been inspirational

What about Mark Webbers pass on Alonso at Eau Rouge? That was legendary.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net