3. Ferrari
4. Force India
5. Renault
6. McLaren
7. Williams
8. Haas
9. Sauber
10. Toro Rosso

I have a simple rationale. I take into a couple of season's review, downward or upward momentum, driver strength and team reliability. On 'Pitpass' you'll find an interesting guide to teams rated both in cars finishing and finishing in the points.

To start, I'll simply say why Williams looks set to move down the order. Probably the weakest driver line-up on the grid until, or unless, RK gets up to speed. Only reliability saved Williams this year, but Renault's season was an aberration I don't expect them to repeat.

Williams 2017 car was probably the laziest and most conservative design for the new regulations and soon went backwards once the competition had sorted their gremlins. So I think we'll start on the back foot, with the car we should have built this year.

Reliability - Force India have even beaten us here for the last two seasons, especially in terms of both drivers finishing in the points (87% to 50%) For the same reason, I think they'll stay ahead of both Renault and McLaren, the latter adapting to a new engine.

I'm not expecting miracles from Honda yet. I honestly believe McLaren and Alonso made Honda look better than it was. And Toro Rosso rarely produce a reliable car, engine woes or no. Red Bull, on the other hand, always seem to get more from the Renault unit than Renault itself, performance and reliability. In 2016. RBR were the most reliable team on the grid with a 95% finishing rate compared to Renault's 78%.

What can make a difference in 2018? Well, Mercedes new high-rake design not working, in which case I'd tip RBR for the championship. Vandoorne coming good. At the moment, I think Hulk and Sainz look very strong. The influx of money, plus Gio and LeClerc, propelling Sauber past Haas and Williams. As we see every year, fighting over little points can go down to the wire.

Re: So. Predictions For 2018 WCC?
Carbon XXX (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 13:16
I would put Ferrari ahead of Red Bull and Mercedes ahead of them both, I just can't see Red Bull finishing ahead of Mercedes or Ferrari with that donkey Renault powertrain.

Gunk you think Williams will only finish 7th? (Sm17)

I thought 5th was bad for Williams in 2017 and now people are saying 7th for Williams in 2018? (Sm17)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2017 13:19 by Carbon Industries.

Jasper777 (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 14:06
My 2 pennies worth, I think Merc and Ferrari will produce a good car and it will between the two of them for the championship.
For third I'd put RB dependant on Newest level of input to 2018 car. They are not infallible.
4th I think is hard to call. maclaren will have to adapt there chassis to an engine that has a higher COG than the Honda who knows what compromises that will mean.
Renault also I'm not convinced of the politics in the Renault team influencing key decisions for them going forward.
Force India, fair play to them they consistently punch above there weight but with the sale of the team on the horizon. Will that affect them. I hope so.
That leaves dear old Williams. I'm hoping and praying that with Paddy's influence that we produce a car that can utilise and maximise the Merc lump in the back.
I agree that Williams may have the weakest line up on the grid but hope that RK is chosen and delivers as we all hope he can.

That might be wishfully thinking on my part but I'm not convinced that McLaren and Renault are actually as good as they think they are anymore
Times change and so do teams.

Jasper777 (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 14:11
Sorry more on this I'm hoping Paddy sorts out our suspension which will aid our low speed corner speed and exit. If he does I think that will be enough to pinch 4thaybe even 3rd.

Marco Cardoso (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 14:40
3rd or 4th probably to much to ask, the best drivers are already taken, our driver pairing still not decided, many teams turned they're views to 2018 at probably the same time as us but I believe that Paddys influence can be the one good thing for us next year.

I'll put my expectations in a scrap between 4th and 6th next year depending on how other teams as Renault, Macca and ForceIndia perform, expectations say probably more 6th than 4th but will see once the testing starts and how our new car comes out.

Stroll will cost us points again (i'll be happy if he extracts 60% of the points the car potential will have) Kubica would be a good bet to be alongside Stroll, if it turns out to be Sirotkin then I will be more inclined to a 6/7th WCC place.

Not because I don't believe Sirotkin will beat Stroll from that i'm sure, but it will be like having two rookies in our team and one we already now is not that good.

https://goo.gl/images/VESYsm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2017 14:42 by Marco Cardoso.

Gunk (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 15:29
Quote:
Jasper777
My 2 pennies worth, I think Merc and Ferrari will produce a good car and it will between the two of them for the championship.

For third I'd put RB dependant on Neweys level of input to 2018 car. They are not infallible.

4th I think is hard to call. I'm not convinced of the politics in the Renault team.

Force India, fair play to them they consistently punch above there weight but with the sale of the team on the horizon. Will that affect them. .

All good points.

Personally, I'm not convinced yet Ferrari can sustain a challenge. The car isn't bulletproof, both Seb and Kimi can be flaky and I'm not even sure who's in charge. Even Arrivabene didn't seem sure.

Yes, the McLaren Renault fight is a tough call. I agree, Renault politics is weird and may be their undoing.

Fair point about Force India too, but they've been financially shaky for years but just keep getting stronger.

Mehryar (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 16:13
Well I want to divide it to 2 seperate predictions, one for the car teams produce and one for where teams finish in the standings.

I think Ferrari can make enough of step forward to take the lead from Mercedes.they already had the title if it was not because poor performance of Kimi and Vettel in second half of the season.they lost it themselves.
For 3rd, though in a much closer fight it would be RBR.they started badly cause of their aero or could be very much in fight this year.with another jump ahead with engine, I can see it a 3way battle between top 3.
But behind them, I think Williams has every reason to make a better car than Renault, Mclaren and Force India.
We have Paddy Lowe who wins everywhere he goes, they don't! Between all of them, Mclaren looks to be the best with chasis and aero, but they did it this year with resources of a work team.they don't have a works deal with Honda anymore! They don't have a title sponser yet, their prize money is less than ours, they have less sponsers money, more expensive drivers and well a f1 team needs money to make a good chasis + Lowe & De Beer are quite big infuences on our next year car, Mclaren can't be hopeful of them.and still Renault engine is behind Mercedes.
Same goes with Renault and Force India, so my prediction for cars :
1.Ferrari
2.Mercedes
3.RBR

4.Williams
5.Mclaren
6.Renault
7.Force India

8.Haas
9.Sauber
10.STR

But when it comes to championship points, our terrible driver line up can show its infuence, we have probably the worst line up between top 8 so things can turn to be :

4.Mclaren
5.Renault
6.Force India
7.Williams

Somehow like 2009 and 2012...good cars with terrible drivers.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

Marco Cardoso (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 17:02
About next year that AlfaRomeo Sauber livery concept in White background and red engine cover with the black stripes from the nose to the cockpit will be confusing with our car from afar.

Will see our livery will probably remain prety much the same.

Martini as had darkblue liveries in the past but didn't went there with Williams.

But all in all close and sides will be recognisible.

https://goo.gl/images/VESYsm

Damon96 (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 14:53
Quote:
Gunk
1. Mercedes
2. Red Bull
3. Ferrari
4. Force India
5. Renault
6. McLaren
7. Williams
8. Haas
9. Sauber
10. Toro Rosso

I have a simple rationale. I take into a couple of season's review, downward or upward momentum, driver strength and team reliability. On 'Pitpass' you'll find an interesting guide to teams rated both in cars finishing and finishing in the points.

To start, I'll simply say why Williams looks set to move down the order. Probably the weakest driver line-up on the grid until, or unless, RK gets up to speed. Only reliability saved Williams this year, but Renault's season was an aberration I don't expect them to repeat.

Williams 2017 car was probably the laziest and most conservative design for the new regulations and soon went backwards once the competition had sorted their gremlins. So I think we'll start on the back foot, with the car we should have built this year.

Reliability - Force India have even beaten us here for the last two seasons, especially in terms of both drivers finishing in the points (87% to 50%) For the same reason, I think they'll stay ahead of both Renault and McLaren, the latter adapting to a new engine.

I'm not expecting miracles from Honda yet. I honestly believe McLaren and Alonso made Honda look better than it was. And Toro Rosso rarely produce a reliable car, engine woes or no. Red Bull, on the other hand, always seem to get more from the Renault unit than Renault itself, performance and reliability. In 2016. RBR were the most reliable team on the grid with a 95% finishing rate compared to Renault's 78%.

What can make a difference in 2018? Well, Mercedes new high-rake design not working, in which case I'd tip RBR for the championship. Vandoorne coming good. At the moment, I think Hulk and Sainz look very strong. The influx of money, plus Gio and LeClerc, propelling Sauber past Haas and Williams. As we see every year, fighting over little points can go down to the wire.

Think I'd go
1. Mercedes
2. Ferrari
3. Red Bull
4. Force India
5. McLaren
6. Williams
7. Renault
8. Sauber
9. Haas
10. Toro Rosso

Don't think Renault will get the engine up to Ferrari levels to support a push by RB to second, however they could really struggle without James Allison, he developed a great car for 2017 so 2/3 could be very close. I'd put Mclaren ahead of Renault, with Alonso and what was clearly not a bad chassis - espcially as Renault are still rebuilding the team.

Force India - good car, good drivers, good engine, the Merc engine will keep them 4th.

Williams - weakest driver line up other than Haas/Sauber? Even with Lowe, Merc moaned that the 2017 car had flaws although clearly we'd take it compared to the FW40 but can you really see us developing something 0.5/1 second faster than Force India or Mclaren? With our driver line up that's probably what we'd need to be comfortable in 4th, just can't see it.

Haas - what do they add, two moaning drivers and now Sauber has the better deal with Ferrari for tech development, think they will struggle in 18.

Torro Rosso - considering how they ended up with Renault, with Honda that could be blood spilt in the paddock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2017 14:54 by Damon96.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 23:29
Merc
Red bull
McLaren
Ferrari
Renault
Williams
Force India
Haas
Alfa
Str

K1 (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 03:04
Normally i would shy away from predictions as they are simply a 'fantasy' predicated on wishful thinking rather than any concrete evidence. However in the spitit of all things F1 here's my predictions...

There will be 21 races.

Williams won't win any of them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net