Latest News:

2018 Australian Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Re: Who Will drive for Williams in 2018?
IanSmithISA (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 06:14
Good morning,

Quote:
Mehryar
Ian, your point too seems to be too dark imo.The teams has come out of disasterous times of mid 2000s and early 2010s with much harder situations.with your logic, the existence of Force India, Haas and even STR are fictions...and about those you called for selling stakes to, I think overally we should be happy the answer has been negative as 2/3 of them are not in F1 now.we are.

What I find significant about the three teams that you mention STR, Haas and FI is that they are all all mostly self funding.

Haas is in existence to advertise the Haas machine tools business, lots of TV time associated with being competitive is not important to retaining their self sponsorship. Merely having enough funds to score points regularly, collect a decent amount of constructors points/prize money is enough as nobody is going to buy Haas over say Mazak just because of F1. However if time tells Haas Automation that the return in selling machine tools is not worth the cost then yes the team may easily close or be sold for whatever they get for it.

Again in its current form STR doesn't exist to win, its sponsorship is guaranteed by its owner. If the rumours that Red Bull have been looking to sell it for a while are true then there is nobody out there who has the funds and believes that they can/want to operate a successful F1 team. They were quite vocal about selling when they were told that they couldn't run Red Bulls as Toro Rossos.

Force India have been funded for a lot of their existence by businesses operated by Subrata Roy (Sahara) and Vijay Mallya (Kingfisher airlines and beer and United Spirits). This season is the first that I can recall with a large external sponsor, BWT (15m?), United Spirts (Jonnie Walker and Smirnoff) is part owned by Diagoe so are not totally internal or exxternal brands. Of course there are or were significant legal issues between Vijay and Diageo which would be worrying for FI fans.

Bye

Ian

K1 (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 10:37
There is one simple fact that overides all the driver conjecture and that is simply..the car. Williams must have the 'car' that carries them forward.Even mediocre drivers look good in an exceptional car.It is my contention that any number of drivers could've been WDC's over the past four years if they'd that mercedes to drive.So, irrespective of who they choose, if the car's a dud then so will williams be a dud. There are no more excuses really...they have paddy lowe and they have mercedes engines....that alone should ensure a decent car.

Mehryar (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 16:09
K1 we look it with more pessimism than what you write.though overally it makes sense that the car is more important but history has shown a good driver lineup can make a big difference specially when you are stuck in midfield battles with so many teams fight for a few positions.2009 and 2012 were good examples for us.this season Renault suffered from that too and on the other hand you can say how much Force India took advantage of their brilliant lineup.Imagine they had a Stroll/Wehrlein in that car and they were probably going to finish 6th or 7th.
Not to mention not half of the grid could win the title in that Mercedes car.Bottas has proved that by finishing behind Seb....years before other drivers in dominant cars have proved that as well.
That's why alot of Williams fans look to be angry, whatever the final decision will be...fact is we have the best engine at the back of our car, brought in one of the best TDs in the sport and a highly rated aero head too.so logically we should be able beat other midfielders unless our drivers fail to do so...and by what we have seen from Stroll this season, only a miracle can save that 4th position.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

Marco Cardoso (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 16:39
Correction Mehryar 5th.

https://goo.gl/images/VESYsm

Mehryar (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 16:46
5th? Why? Top3 aside with their strong resources but except them why we have already accepted the defeat against Mclaren & Renault? They have a weaker engine, our technical team looks to be better than them and the budget shouldn't be alot different to them.
This is exactly what suffers the most.already we have lost hope to beat Mclaren.terrible...we have every mean to be 4th if not for drivers.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

Gunk (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 18:23
Quote:
K1
...they have paddy lowe and they have mercedes engines....that alone should ensure a decent car.

You may well be right. Many of the guys would be fairly close, given equal opportunity. It was interesting to listen to Rosberg saying that some of his poles in the last season were down to giving up cycling. He was building too much leg muscle and managed to lose a kilo of it. When so many poles are attained in 100ths of a second, it's significant. Crazy stuff.

11 December, 2017 19:50
Mehryar I am talking about our last two seasons WCC finishes 5th.

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 21:39
Looks like Sirotkin now. I'll go for that. Bloody good driver.

Polemik (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 22:04
According to MST, Kubica ist OUT.
Sirotkin was a little bit faster than Kubica and brings 17 mil.EUR from russian oligarch Rotenberg.
Now, it will be Sirotkin or Kwyat. Both are Russians, Rotenberg can support Sirotkin or Kwyat.

[www.motorsport-total.com]

Carinni (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 22:48
Quote:
Mehryar
5th? Why? Top3 aside with their strong resources but except them why we have already accepted the defeat against Mclaren & Renault? They have a weaker engine, our technical team looks to be better than them and the budget shouldn't be alot different to them.
This is exactly what suffers the most.already we have lost hope to beat Mclaren.terrible...we have every mean to be 4th if not for drivers.

McLaren has bigger budget n a better team I think, they can always build a winning chassis. It is not the drivers, it is the chassis makes the difference. The driver contributes the last 0.2s, only relevant for a very tight battle. But there is still a big improvement in the chassis, so what Williams needs most now is money n a better technical team. They failed to build a winning chassis for many years, not having the knowledge n talent, hope they can in 2018.

Carinni (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 23:43
Settled. It will be Sirotkin, a smart n reasonable choice. I believe it is the best for the team. As what massa said, talent is not the main reason. Hope the money can help the team to build a winning chassis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2017 23:45 by Carinni.

j-s (IP Logged)
12 December, 2017 00:20
As long as they pick the fastest driver I'm fine with it.

Not excited at having Sirotkin or Kvyat, though. Yawn. Kubica could've been seismic. But if he's not the fastest then so be it.

I'm more pessimistic than usual at this point. I dread falling to 7th or 8th again.

Gunk (IP Logged)
12 December, 2017 07:56
Quote:
j-s
As long as they pick the fastest driver I'm fine with it.
Not excited at having Sirotkin or Kvyat, though. Yawn. Kubica could've been seismic. But if he's not the fastest then so be it.

I'm more pessimistic than usual at this point. I dread falling to 7th or 8th again.

The problem is, there are question marks about all the candidates, not only Kubica.

Sirotkin has been test driver for two years at Renault, but not promoted and in fact being dropped from the junior driver roster for 2018. It is also debatable whether he was in the programme on merit or simply bought his place. But yes, let's hope he flourishes.

I am not too surprised about Kubica's speed at this time. He says himself he is starting from scratch and has little experience of the current cars and tyres. It's a question of expectations.

The dilemma is compounded by the fact that Stroll is in the other car, who didn't show any signs of developing one lap pace over the whole year. Not to mention needing three sets of tyres to complete a one-stop race. His last two races were truly abysmal.

So, yes, I share your pessimism.

Andrew Hooper (IP Logged)
12 December, 2017 09:03
I certainly don't share your optimism in regard to Sirotkin.

andy si (IP Logged)
12 December, 2017 17:34
Sirotkin or his backing will pay upfront or he'll never see tarmac in a Williams.
Willaims have always collected their sponsorship money.
With Sirotkins backing as unsure as it ever was in 2013, 2014, 2015... Kubica may still be in.

Damon96 (IP Logged)
12 December, 2017 21:30
Toto has started to speak up:

[www.autosport.com]

Do you think the Sirotkin stories are just Williams trying to extract some cash out of Merc?

Polemik (IP Logged)
13 December, 2017 08:38
According to the Russian press agency TASS, the new Williams driver will be finally announced this Friday. It will by probably Sirotkin. Or Kwyat.

[translate.google.sk]

K1 (IP Logged)
13 December, 2017 11:13
Everything the Russians do has a political element, it's the Russian way. That being the case i would think that they, the Russian motoring press, have some foreknowledge and as others have said, it could be either or. The general consensus seems to favor Sirotkin but that is extremely subjective. I rather hope that Kvyat gets the drive. Franz Tost has re iterated what i have said in past posts. He needs to be nurtured in an overall sense but he would be fast from day 1 especially if he sees this as the last throw of the dice. Williams need this if they are to drag themselves up to a position worthy of respect.

13 December, 2017 11:58
Shitty couple of drivers.
9th or last in WCC with this line up.

K1 (IP Logged)
13 December, 2017 13:40
@ Marco cardoso...You might think this but you have absolutely no way of knowing. Until the car is actually tested who could possibly forecast? If Paddy can deliver a blinder then the team will do better, even with drivers who are not top drawer.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net