Latest News:

2018 Monaco Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Re: Who Will drive for Williams in 2018?
K1 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 08:18
@ Gunk...Well that's your opinion and that's fine by me. I certainly don't have a problem but once again, without you or anyone here being privy to the 'intimate' details of why Williams have taken the decisions that they have made, any attempt to overlay your analysis, becomes purely speculative. Your last comment i find rather interesting. What makes you think that SFW has been totally 'sidelined' with no input to the running of the team? Claire is deputy principal and i can only presume that she handles, to a greater extent, the day to day minutiae but I was under the impression that SFW was still involved in all major decisions of which driver selection would fall into that category? Of course periods of hospitalisation would of necessity preclude this. The old Einstein cliche is too well worn as what might appear to you as being totally repetitious i am sure that at board level it certainly wouldn't be...and even more so since the float. Directors of publically listed companies have a legally binding fiduciary duty of care to the shareholders.

K1 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 08:22
Sorry to double dip here chaps...Today has been touted as the day of the big 'Reveal'so by close of business driver number 2 should be public.

Marco Cardoso (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 08:57
Pay driver number 2 you mean.

Ridicolous.

No team with high ambitions works this way.

https://goo.gl/images/VESYsm

Gunk (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 08:57
Quote:
K1
Sorry to double dip here chaps...Today has been touted as the day of the big 'Reveal'so by close of business driver number 2 should be public.

Only the Russian news agency TASS announced that there would be an announcement. This hasn't been confirmed by any other source as far as I'm aware.

Kubica's father spoke to the Polish press yesterday and said that the Kubica camp were still fighting. He also said that Kubica visited Grove yesterday and Williams may not make a decision until Christmas.

So, yes or no perhaps.

15 December, 2017 09:02
Russian rublos say it's today I believe it. It's all that matter to Williams now.

Money that comes from Putins inner circle friends now that's the way to go Sochis on the calendar for something.

Gunk (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 09:41
Quote:
K1
What makes you think that SFW has been totally 'sidelined' with no input to the running of the team? I was under the impression that SFW was still involved in all major decisions of which driver selection would fall into that category?

SFW effectively stepped down in 2012 and Adam Parr was the succession plan. However a spat with Toto and Ecclestone scuppered that one. Parr was the controller when it came to hiring Maldonado, firing Hulk, not hiring Raikonnen or Sutil.

[duncanblog.dailymail.co.uk]

It was expected that Toto would be next in line for the throne, but he went to Mercedes. By some accounts, Claire was happy to see him go. There have been several power struggles since, the latest being Stroll Snr v Lowe.

The last 'Frank' hiring was probably Barrichello.

GiorgioF1 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 10:30
"Williams chief technical officer Paddy Lowe says his team remains determined to stay in the hunt for fourth place in the constructors' championship, despite trailing Force India by 60 points."

"Yes. I mean the engines are actually all the same between the different Mercedes teams, they are supposed to be between all engine suppliers," Lowe say in a meeting with the media on Thursday.

"So it's absolutely possible to win a championship. There's no better example of that than Red Bull who have done very well with the Renault engine when they were not classified as a works team."

"Do a good job, generate more income so you can do an even better job."

"Our ambitions at Williams are unwavering, we want to win races and championships, but to do that you need the best talent in the business".

And here we are now, with Stroll and Sirotkin.

This is tragic.

15 December, 2017 10:32
And now you have money grabbers running the team squeezing all the money the Williams name still can in the Industry!

So many good oportunities to turn the way and all wasted! 3 months to select a driver and they go with a driver who did half a test day! Because of what! He didn't actualy do a faster lap then Kubica!
The time he could achieve suposely is a complete lie 1.2s faster that would mean a 1'37.2 or 3 that the car couldn't even deliver if it was Hamilton or Verstappen driving it! BullS#!$.

And Yes SFW doesn't run the show anymore, everyone nows that.

2018 cars set to go almost 2secs faster and we get 2 pay drivers who are almost 1 sec a lap slower then the rest of the field appart from Ericsson and Hartley.

I see only good things coming Williams way!

14th to 18th regulars that's were Williams will be and then 2019 will be the year.

15 December, 2017 10:48
During the last Formula One tests in Abu Dhabi, world-class experts argued that Robert Kubica already had almost a place in Williams. The prominent analyst Mark Hughes valued the Pole's chances at 98% and it was not a number "from the cap". It was just that close to returning Kubica three weeks ago, but ... 98 is not yet one hundred, and then on the track appeared a new opponent. With a sporting potential and even more financial.

How did it happen that the chances of almost a return in almost a dozen days fell almost to zero? Kubica himself explained it ... three years ago! It was a June afternoon in Sardinia. In the small conference room of the mobile headquarters of Volkswagen, Robert Kubica and - the then five times - rally champion of the world, Sebastien Ogier, were talking about rallies and races in a relaxed atmosphere. Suddenly, the Frenchman was unfaithful about the crazy Pastor Maldonado, whose sponsor at that time was paying about $ 30 million a year for his Williams seat. - I do not know ... The race was won - Interrupted Kubica (interestingly the Venezuelan won the last race for Williams), after a while to explain how Formula One works:
- If I had a team and to choose a very good driver without a budget, or a driver who is 0.3 second slower, but has a large sponsor, I would take the slower! Because I can invest his money in the development of the car and I will improve it much more than the 0.3 seconds, which will benefit both competitors. If I get 30 million more for the season ... F1 is powerful! - Kubica commented. It seems that the fate of his return has hung on a thread based on this very principle.

It is not really known whether Sergei Sirotkin is slower than Kubica. If you look at the stopwatch, he even went a little faster during tests, but Hughes argued that the Russian had improved the settings of the car, according to the Polish guidelines (the day before the team refused to introduce Robert to these amendments). The Briton added that Kubica was driving a car fueled by a cork, which is not entirely certain in the case of Sirotkin (a lighter car = better times), but today these are irrelevant details. Robert's laps (otherwise very strong in the opinion of experts) were of secondary importance. The spontaneous reaction of Williams' staff - thunderous applause and ovation - and the enthusiastic statements of the technical head, excellent engineer Paddy Lowe.

It was not the Pole who did a bad job. The Russian drove well enough. This signal was needed by the patrons of Sirotkin to break through Kubica's assets. The bidding has started and Sergei has become almost a certain favorite for the last vacant seat in Formula 1, and right after him - as reported by the same sources - there is another Russian, kicked out from both Red Bull teams Daniił Kwiat. Meanwhile, one of the poorest teams in F1 was just waiting to conquer the offer. It is said that there is currently 15 million euros per season on the table.

Now it is Sirotkin's full happiness that lacks these few percent, that is, the official Williams compositions, which may even happen today. Before the door handle collapses, there is still hope that the offer will be broken by someone from Poland. In addition, Kubica still has much stronger cards from Sirotkin, as an athlete: name, experience, excellent communication with engineers and talent compared to the best F1 drivers. Unfortunately, everything indicates that the return to the queen of motor sports will thwart the supreme ruling principle of the Pole. It was, is and will be: in one of the most expensive sports in the world, money is above all else.

GiorgioF1 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 10:52
Yes, so today might be the day. Can't wait to read the press release.

CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 14:43
so its now 15.15 uk time and no press release or anything...

So the Russian press were just stoking the fire.....

It might be Kubica after all...

Francesc (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 14:57
Quote:
CLOVERLEAF 888
so its now 15.15 uk time and no press release or anything...
So the Russian press were just stoking the fire.....

It might be Kubica after all...

Probably the russian money hasn't arrived yet. If it ever does...

15 December, 2017 15:07
Putins must be checking is pockets for changes to give to Williams. Wait a few moments

15 December, 2017 15:24
[www.motorsport.com]

Well now it's January it seems.

CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 15:57
doesn't sirotkin have a history of his Russian money not arriving?

pixel (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 16:43
Announcement has been pushed to January. In my opinion, there are only three reasons to delay:

1 Team has not made up it's mind - I find this hard to accept - after the test was analysed, surely all the information that was going to be available was at that point available.

2 Sponsor payment not been made - I seem to recall that PDVSA had to pay all money up front for his seat, if they had offered to Sirotkin on the same basis and his money did not arrive then that would mean he is out.

3 Another development / sweetener has been found - a sponsor for Kvyat or more Mercedes sweeteners for Pascal Wehrlein?

I hope it means that Wehrlein is back in the mix.

juras (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 17:21
hello,
I think the thing is as follows. Until Williams is in the position of a team that has the potential to win the championship, it is no use to hire the top pilot. Even the top pilot can not win the championship with the average car.
If Williams increases the budget and builds a top-class car, he will be able to pick from top pilots.
The bottom line is to move the team up the level above. Paddy is now a key personality ... he has to oversee the rise of the team, unfortunately we have taken a step or even two back in the last two years. Let's hope Paddy and his organization. The year 2018 will show whether Williams regains the wind in the sails or stays in the position of the average team.

Sorry for my English...

Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.
Plato

15 December, 2017 17:50
So hire a@#$%&driver since the car is no good and only hire a top driver when the car has potential to win!

Meanwhile survive, that´s pure lack of ambition and with no ambition there´s no reason to be in F1.

Top teams don´t know if they can win championships at the beggining of the season and spend 3 times more than Williams.
Williams is about to loose it´s main sponsor (Martini) which means less money and doesn´t seem concerned about it, stocks are plummeting and getting associated with Russian squemes doesn´t make good for the external image of the team, F1 is now American owned and American companies/sponsors won´t party with teams with those kind of fundings.

Williams keep hiring drivers that pay to drive, no top driver pays to drive! that I can assure you, some have backing but they all get payed.

GiorgioF1 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 21:27
Quote:
pixel
Announcement has been pushed to January. In my opinion, there are only three reasons to delay:
1 Team has not made up it's mind - I find this hard to accept - after the test was analysed, surely all the information that was going to be available was at that point available.

2 Sponsor payment not been made - I seem to recall that PDVSA had to pay all money up front for his seat, if they had offered to Sirotkin on the same basis and his money did not arrive then that would mean he is out.

3 Another development / sweetener has been found - a sponsor for Kvyat or more Mercedes sweeteners for Pascal Wehrlein?

I hope it means that Wehrlein is back in the mix.

Can it also be that, despite rumors that Sirotkin is a 99% favorite for the seat now, some part of the team wants Kubica? Like Paddy or someone else? Cause its very strange that the decision is delayed again, and i dont think that russians are happy about that - it may look to them that they are being played to drop even more money for Sirotkin, and Rosberg and Bravi are being allowed to look for some more cash?

Or does it seem plausible that the team is well aware of previous SMP involvement in F1 and lack of promised money for Sauber and Force India and we in fact want to get all the money upfront but there are some problems and Williams gave them a deadline for the payment? If that payment wont materialize, then they wont be dealing with this anymore, wave goodbye to Sirotkin and go with Kubicas 8m or someone else (Wehrlein or Kvyat cause i think he has different sponsor than Sirotkin)?

05 January, 2018 12:48
Grosjean: Renault, McLaren will jump midfield

4 January 2018 – Haas driver Romain Grosjean says he expects 2017 rivals Renault and McLaren to pull clear in 2018, but reckons his squad could scrap with Mercedes-powered opponents Force India and Williams.

Haas joined F1 in 2016 and finished eighth – ahead of Renault, Sauber and Manor – and retained its position in 2017, classifying in front of McLaren and Sauber, and just behind Renault and Toro Rosso.

McLaren will switch to using Renault engines in 2018, while the French manufacturer has been striving to move up the grid with its own operation, having invested in additional resources.

Grosjean believes both Renault and McLaren will jump clear of the midfield next season, reckoning Haas could end up fighting with Force India and Williams in the next group of teams.

"Some teams are going to maybe have a less powerful power unit so one goes up one goes down," Grosjean said, reflecting on the order of teams.

"I think the best [approach] is to do our own work; we know where to improve, there's a few areas where we really need to focus on to get better.

"[We need to be] making sure the updates – when they're coming – are working and they have been well validated before.

"[That would mean] we're not losing three months of time to bring something that actually doesn't bring what it's supposed to do, so that's an area, just an example.

"McLaren is going to be super strong next year and they have huge resources, probably the biggest factory in Formula 1.

"The Renault engine is a decent engine, they've had reliability issues but power-wise they're up there, Renault is a on a high, they've been developing pretty well and are in front of us already.

"The question is Williams and Force India; of course, McLaren I believe is going to be there with Red Bull, then it's going to be Renault.

"The question is Force India, Williams, ourselves and Toro Rosso with their new power unit."

Force India and Williams finished fourth and fifth respectively in the 2017 standings.

He is right unfortunatly.
Williams will be scrapping around with them.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net