f1
Latest News:

2018 Australian Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Should Williams “Change” their engine in 2018?
IanSmithISA (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 08:44
Good morning,

Toto has been quoted as being positive about the Ferrari/Alfa/Sauber tie up and suggesting that something similar might make sense for Mercedes.

So would Williams running Mercedes engines branded as Smart make sense?

European sales of Smart don’t seem to be going that well varying between 70K and 110K per year so an image boost may well be needed and such a deal could be relatively cheap for Mercedes. Free engines in exchange for the sort of space that Renualt had in the 1990s and if Rexona are not going to be there is 2018 then the side pods for an extra £10-20million?

As well as being a positive for the Smart brand it would give Ferrari and Mercedes a very strong hand in future negotiations, we now support four teams and we are not going to simplify the engines or accept less money!

In the old days I would have assumed that “the simplify the engine plan” was a Bernie ploy, something to be given up in exchange for reorganising the prize money pool. With Liberty there is no history to say that they do or don’t use such tactics.

So there is no guarantee that post 2020 the prize pool will look any fairer. From Williams’ perspective they would be getting a well funded sponsor, assurances of an engine supply and possibly a bit of access to some technical resources that Merc may have and they don’t.

The trouble is that all these argument would easily apply to a Smart powered Force India.

Bye

Ian

Re: Should Williams “Change” their engine in 2018?
Gunk (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 05:46
Normally I would say that using F1 to promote Smart cars is faintly ludicrous.

Then again, Guy Ligier only made those funny moped powered microcars in any volume. I seem to remember you could drive them without a license in France.

However, I read the reports and Toto does indeed seem interested in a 'B' team idea. Personally, I'm not sure Williams would sell its independence, but Force India might well consider it.

This week there was a court ruling against VJM which will allow the Indian government to seize VJ's assets and real estate in the country. VJ still has to appeal the extradition order.

Damon96 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 16:06
I could see them accepting money and sponsor to take a Merc driver, but it would have to be as a pure sponsorship deal, if it became a B team like Toro Rosso to Red Bull, that would be the end of everything Williams has stood for.

andy si (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 16:24
Sure, it would do Williams no harm in picking up SMART sponsorship from Mercedes.
But it's not likely when Williams are not rvrn their fastest option on the grid.
Something may happen if FW41 is not a dud and rises the team back towards the front of the grid.

K1 (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 09:43
@ Damon 96...'What Williams stand for'means zippedy doo dah in the context of todays F1. That was in a different era, different cars etc etc. All this BS about 'we only exist to race' is past its use-by date. Out dated platitudes mean nothing when it comes down to race by race performances and building a a repertoire of results. Considering what Force India can do makes Williams look decidedly shabby. What they need to do is demonstrate that they have the wherewithal to start a comeback and keep the impetus going throughout the year.Now if Paddy lowe can build a decent car with the best engine of all time in the back, we may just see the slow renaissance of Williams. A very big ask but not impossible...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net