Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Re: Sirotkin anounced!
Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 20:40
Kubica was SLOWER than Sirotkin at the test. He may have awesome development skills but he was SLOWER. We now have his development skills and a faster race driver plus lots of money. I know that emotionally some people are really upset to not see KUB in a race car. That's tough and I understand that. I felt the same about JB when he looked to be out on his ear after 2008. I really wanted him to be in an F1 car. But you have to get past that.

Let's look at it this way. If SIR is a disaster then KUB gets the drive.

Damon96 (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 20:42
- Kubica is being paid by Williams, handsomely,

I don't believe this, Williams never pays it's drivers well, let alone a reserve driver.

Gunk (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 21:01
There are two thing that interest me here. One is that he is being paid. FPs are rarely unfunded. The other is that he will do the all-important pre-season test.

So one has the impression Williams want a fall-back position and don't feel too confident about the lack of experience within the official line up.

Claire talks up Sirotkin's role at Renault, but in fact he only got to drive the car twice. He was down for 4 FPs but other problems intervened. Not his fault of course.

Gunk (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 21:32
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone
Kubica was SLOWER than Sirotkin at the test. He may have awesome development skills but he was SLOWER. We now have his development skills and a faster race driver plus lots of money. I know that emotionally some people are really upset to not see KUB in a race car. That's tough and I understand that. I felt the same about JB when he looked to be out on his ear after 2008. I really wanted him to be in an F1 car. But you have to get past that.

Much of the public debate has focussed on Kubica versus Sirotkin. It's my feeling that Sirotkin is quite a credible rookie and may even surprise us. I'd be more inclined to the view that Stroll is the weakest link, in which case Kubica has little leverage.

Actually, I think it's great for Robert . . . but Williams must be very apprehensive about 2018 and a slide down the table is surely inevitable.

Marco Cardoso (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 22:32
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone

Not that sure about the "slower" part but i'm sure about the £€$ part.

Williams been on this route with Stroll, money rather then talent and it's now paying for that cause they can't get rid of i'm (his money).

Sirotkin is on a multi-year deal and money comes in parcels so Williams won't be able to ditch him or they won't get the money.

I do believe Sirotkin is marginaly better then Stroll but both are reasonable at best.

Last year we saw what money "lack of it" is doing to Williams which let Massa go for the weakest driver to stay.

We now have the weakest driver pairing on the grind but have the best reserve driver from all teams.

Another thing that it a nerve was Claire stating about the driver pairing "Williams DNA is of a team that develops young drivers" since when!!!.

I don't think she read the full memo from Sir Frank.

https://goo.gl/images/VESYsm

Stu69 (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 22:35
We have got what we’ve got. Get behind them!!

Gunk (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 02:28
According to Turun Sanomat, Kubica's contract includes an option for a race-seat in 2018.

According to Sportowe Fakty, he will have 8 FPs.

gpl (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 08:04
Well i think we have some very good ingredients in the development team now
If Robert can gel with Paddy and his team then this could bode well for the future.

I am behind the team 100% and if we can build and develop a fast car then at some stage
in the season we should start to come good whoever might be behind the wheel.

Gunk (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 09:00
Another interesting thing: in Poland, major sponsor has tweeted re-affirming support. Robert can call upon backing anytime.

Could Williams also be planning for 2019 and Stroll's departure?

Anderis (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 09:36
Quote:
Gunk
Could Williams also be planning for 2019 and Stroll's departure?
I think they're keeping their options open, which is smart, because you never know what's going to happen.

gpl (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 11:21
Once we find out if this new car can be quick we hope

Then it will be interesting to see the 3 drivers compete in the pre season tests.

I am Very much looking forward to a Paddy Lowe designed car.

GiorgioF1 (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 12:17
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone
Kubica was SLOWER than Sirotkin at the test. He may have awesome development skills but he was SLOWER

Its not just that clear cut as it seems to be. Kubica did have only ~1.5 hours to get the grips with the hypersofts, which - despite it was the softest compound at the test - werent really suited for the Abu Dhabi track and it was very easy to overheat them with slightest lockup and the lap was gone (and it was late afternoon). Busy track during the last hour of the test and some kind of flat spot made early could be the reason Kubica struggled with getting better lap time.
And here the quote form McLaren site: "There’s a huge temperature swing between day and night, and the balance of the car changes dramatically in line with that. The wind also changes direction depending on the time of day, which also affects car performance."

If Sirotkin would test the hypersofts late afternoon as Kubica did, i bet he would be struggling with them too. And lets not forget it was still FW40 - it wasnt Ferrari or Merc on rails on almost any compound imaginable. The balance of that car wasnt great during the whole season.

K1 (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 13:27
@ Giorgio and Williams weren't aware of all these variables yet you were? Joke city.

Gunk (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 13:52
@K1

I think it's obvious Kubica needs more time and Williams appear to want to provide that. A reserve doesn't usually get 8 FPs unless he is being groomed for a seat, like Bottas.

Robert said himself: 'I'm starting from scratch'. His argument was that his experience would get him faster through the (re) learning curve.

Anyway, we shall see.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 14:08
I'm more excited about Sirotkin than Stroll.

silny (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 16:10
I have heard rumours from Italy that if Kubica will be faster than Sirotkin in pre-season tests he will drive the car in Australia.

Mehryar (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 16:27
Too bad all the talks are around Sirotkin vs. Kubica except of Stroll vs. Kubica.
Sirotkin is an unknown quality (in an F1 car) so there's hope in him but Stroll is known to be slow.Qualifying is the ultimate test of talent given the car he is driving.I will be hugely surprised if he turns the table through the winter tests, he didn't in a full season, so clearly whether the pace is not there or he just can't control his nerves for grtting his act together over a single lap.

Errors can be deleted by experience but I can not recall an example a driver gains speed if he failed to do so in his rookie season.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

17 January, 2018 16:51
Quote:
Mehryar
Too bad all the talks are around Sirotkin vs. Kubica except of Stroll vs. Kubica.
Sirotkin is an unknown quality (in an F1 car) so there's hope in him but Stroll is known to be slow.Qualifying is the ultimate test of talent given the car he is driving.I will be hugely surprised if he turns the table through the winter tests, he didn't in a full season, so clearly whether the pace is not there or he just can't control his nerves for grtting his act together over a single lap.

Errors can be deleted by experience but I can not recall an example a driver gains speed if he failed to do so in his rookie season.

That´s the ultimate point of it all Mehryar, It´s Sirotkin vs Kubica because we are stuck with Stroll. I guess Daddy Stroll puts in so much money we can´t even consider to drop him even knowing he is no good.
Taking the risk on Sirotkin wouldn´t be half bad if the guy on the other side of the garage was a garantie of points but we know he is not.
The main problem here is betting on a rookie without a good driver on one of the cars.

Gunk (IP Logged)
17 January, 2018 18:42
Quote:
Marco Cardoso
It´s Sirotkin vs Kubica because we are stuck with Stroll.

We don't know that.

It's not a fixed level of sponsorship either . . . we already understand it decreases this year.

There are also plenty of rumours that Lawrence will buy Force India and take Lance there.

We're all cynical about Williams - pretty hard not be after all these years - but maybe Paddy was genuinely impressed with Sergei? Why not?

By the end of last season, he was clearly losing patience with Stroll. He also said it took him 7 races to score any points at all - so he was obviously expecting more. He also says, quite often, that the 2017 car was better than the results showed. Whether that was also a sideswipe at Massa who knows?

17 January, 2018 19:26
You still believe Stroll will be a good driver.
Damn

Sirotkin might not be as bad as I think but it's is first year and we will see.
Stroll showned how mediocre he his last year.
The two combined are to risks out of two and that's bad.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net