f1
Latest News:

2018 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Poll: Do you believe that Williams will fix FW41?
Anderis (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 13:48

Will Williams fix FW41

Yes
No

You must be logged in to vote.

31 Votes

Show results

There are reports about upgrades solving some fundamental issues with the car and thus giving Williams a lot of gain around the summer break.

Do you believe that the team will make them work as expected and therefore end up well in the midfield before the end of the year?

Re: Poll: Do you believe that Williams will fix FW41?
Mehryar (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 15:59
Would you please first tell us what do you mean of solving the problem? To me, they solve but still finish out of points.by the time we have a car which works properly, others have outdeveloped us.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

Francesc (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 16:35
Keep the faith

Boxman (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 18:49
Well technically yes, it will be called FW42 by that time but the fix will come smiling smiley

Stu69 (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 21:13
Paddy has the power!

AlanJones (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 22:16
Quote:
Mehryar
Would you please first tell us what do you mean of solving the problem? To me, they solve but still finish out of points.by the time we have a car which works properly, others have outdeveloped us.

It's about fixing the fundamental problem with the FW41. Not about it's results.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

IanSmithISA (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 03:59
Good morning

This might be a complete "Elvis is still alive" type of thinking but.....

Is the car actually as flawed as we all seem to believe? It is obviously far from perfect but does it have some disastrous major flaw?

The reason for asking this is that both Ed Woods and Dirk De Beer have left and neither have been announced anywhere else.

Did they go because they were saying that fundamentally there is no major flaw, there are some issues but the real problems are driver related?

Its hard to understand the argument that the car is so unpredictable that the drivers are scared to drive it at the limit yet still be within a second of the Mclarens in qualifying.

If we do accept the major flaw argument and if there are updates coming that will offer some major time gains then who created them?

Were they created against the wishes of Ed and Dirk, so they had to go?

I am not for one moment proposing that this year's car is the class of the field, but as a matter of record neither Williams went into the Wall Of Champions in Canada.

Bye

Ian

Goxxy (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 13:33
Unfortunately, I don't believe they'll fix the car this year. They might never give up trying but I suspect they'll fix it. Remember 2013... it wasn't that far back. Or 2011...

ihme (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 16:09
I do believe they will fix the main issues with the car to some degree by Spa, but the car will not be much quicker like others hope. It will be just a stable, lower "Q2 car".
Unfortunately when others made 1 step forward multiple times already, it seems like we were making 2 steps back while trying to understand our car.

Also I'm not so sure that FW41 had that much potential before it hit the track for the first time as it was being predicted by some. We borrowed some ideas from other teams and slapped it all together but it doesnt instantly mean that it would have been the 4th or 5th fastest car in the field.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 21:08
Quote:
Ihminen
I do believe they will fix the main issues with the car to some degree by Spa, but the car will not be much quicker like others hope. It will be just a stable, lower "Q2 car".
Unfortunately when others made 1 step forward multiple times already, it seems like we were making 2 steps back while trying to understand our car.

Also I'm not so sure that FW41 had that much potential before it hit the track for the first time as it was being predicted by some. We borrowed some ideas from other teams and slapped it all together but it doesnt instantly mean that it would have been the 4th or 5th fastest car in the field.

It definitely does. It's mini sector times while not staggering have been good enough for the top10 at most tracks. Sadly that's data that only team engineers have and so I wouldn't expect you to believe me but I will tell you just so you know. The problem is trying to get the car do deliver those mini sectors consistently as the handling issues are inconsistent and will sometimes deliver a corner well and at other times try and throw the driver off the circuit. I don't think they will fix it.

Andrew Hooper (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 06:44
I truly hope they can fix the 2018 car as it worries me that they will take any issues into the 2019 car.

But it does sound like they know the fundamentals of the issues and it is simply of a case of it taking time to get the changes onto the car.

We are none the wiser as to where the changes are occurring be they aerodynamics, suspension design, floor design etc etc but I am still hopeful that they can come up with a car that behaves far more consistently than it does now.

I suppose following on from that is whether our drivers can then take the car and get the best from it.

Jasper777 (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 23:11
Call me an optimist but I do believe that they will sort the FW41 out. I also believe that when they do and we start unlocking the potential of the fw41 Williams will start climbing the Constructors championship.

Blind faith - maybe

but with a stable car underneath them I think both drivers are good enough to score consistant points from 6th to 10th

If the FW41 is as good as we all first hoped when unveiled and the potential is realized then maybe we can even sneak a podium or two.

You heard it here FIRST.(Sm128)

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 20:18
They know what is wrong. It's stalling at the back and this has to be the airflow coming off the sidepods doesn't it? Also, overheating. Maybe the packaging is just too tight. didn't Mclaren have similar issued in their first year back with Honda?

I think the whole coke bottle will be subtly re-designed to cure both issues and that is why it's such a major job.

I think it will be a good platform for the 42 by the year end but I doubt it will help us much this year in the WCC unless they get it fixed very soon.

AlanJones (IP Logged)
22 June, 2018 05:36
Well the technique under the skin may be reused. The aerodynamic, I doubt if we will still go this radical with the 42.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

ihme (IP Logged)
22 June, 2018 08:33
Yeah, according to Claire FW41 will be a platform for FW42 but how can it be (from the aerodynamic standpoint because she said that aero is the biggest issue curreently)? She said that they will not give up on updating FW41 for that reason, but the new aero regs for 2019 will surely mean new aero concept on the new car?
Also I wonder how many % of the resources are we using for fixing the FW41 if we've started working on a 2019 car already.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net