Budatest
Boxman (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 07:36
Rowland rolling with spec 2019 frontwing:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DjapwQKX4AEWYE0.jpg:large

Re: Budatest
T-800 Model 101 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 07:42
Wow those 2019 front wings have a lot less detail.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 07:42
Brilliant topic header.

Look forward to seeing pics of all cars. Renault on motorsport said they do not have a new front wing. Some teams may try variations of the new bargeboards rules and also the deeper rear wing. Give us some insight for what to expect next year.

Boxman (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 07:47
For comparison FI 2019 front, theese come from Soymotors twitter feed, FI and Williamd the only two teams sporting new spec so far.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Djar5FvXoAUKCZu.jpg:large

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 07:55
Good opportunity to validate the wind tunnel readings for the 2019 car early running the simple front wing with some rakes.

Will really help with bargeboards and sidepod development if we can get accurate readings from this wing.

CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 07:56
Liking that a lot. Much simpler and hopefully allow cars to follow better. Long thought front wings were too messy in design with vanes etc everywhere.

Andrew Hooper (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 07:57
2019 front wing certainly looks like it could be made far quicker than the overly complicated 2018 one. I just hope that the 2019 has the desired effect of allowing cars to run closer together and allow more passing.

Boxman (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 08:05
Quote:
Andrew Hooper
2019 front wing certainly looks like it could be made far quicker than the overly complicated 2018 one. I just hope that the 2019 has the desired effect of allowing cars to run closer together and allow more passing.

According to soymotor again, the frontwing alone is planned to reduce the noticable aero wake from 1s to 0.8s behind the car - fact this number should vary a lot with speed just goes to show how general those calculations are, 20% drop is still a decent step imho, at least sneaking into DRS range should get easier next year.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 08:09
Shame the next DRS will be so powerful. Easier to follow and sail past down the straight.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 08:14
How is it that despite the regulations being about 5 element wings, the Williams is able to run 6 elements on the inside? The force India looks correct, the Williams looks like it's trying to get a loophole banned.

T-800 Model 101 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 08:17
If the 2019 front wing is meant to be only 5 elements then that Williams front wing pictured above is illegal.

ralf111 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 08:19
https://i.imgur.com/D5prnDF.jpg

ralf111 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 08:20
https://i.imgur.com/37EDFvV.png

ralf111 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 08:23
https://i.imgur.com/Vd18EOt.png

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 08:26
I really love these wings. Simple yet the complexity will come from incredibly complicated details. Can't wait to see what they produce

ihme (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 09:22
Why couldnt they make the 2019 front wings shorter, say like in 2008? They even made them longer by 200mm or so lol and again this adds more weight to already heavy cars. So many wings will be destroyed on the first lap. Also the shorter wing would look better overall.

Boxman (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 09:32
Quote:
ihme
Why couldnt they make the 2019 front wings shorter, say like in 2008? They even made them longer by 200mm or so lol and again this adds more weight to already heavy cars. So many wings will be destroyed on the first lap. Also the shorter wing would look better overall.

Because the outer bit of a wing is what you use to punch a hole in the air for front wheel, making them shorter would bring massive deficits to aero stability and overall performance, rob sidepods of decent flow etc. F1 is always function over aesthetics so the looks of it dont really matter. Widening it is supposed to balance a bit the deficits that come from limiting vortex generating capabilities. It seems like a well thought through change. I think you might feel better about 2021 - 18 inch wheels are supposed to come with narrower fronts so supposedly smaller frontwing aswellsmiling smiley

ralf111 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 09:38
https://i.imgur.com/O99vlpA.png

Gunk (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 10:47
Quote:
Mikef1
Renault on motorsport said they do not have a new front wing.

Yes, Williams getting a lot of 2019 validation work in early. They won't make the same mistake twice.

By the way, when exactly did Doug McKiernan join? I think not until after the current car was done? His CV is rather impressive . . . maybe DeBeer not such a loss.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 11:00
Quote:
Gunk
Quote:
Mikef1
Renault on motorsport said they do not have a new front wing.

Yes, Williams getting a lot of 2019 validation work in early. They won't make the same mistake twice.

By the way, when exactly did Doug McKiernan join? I think not until after the current car was done? His CV is rather impressive . . . maybe DeBeer not such a loss.

It was announced in Feb or March. Pre season. Definitely not much to do with the FW41. I hope he's been a part of the solution.

One thing I enjoyed reading was Lances comments about reverting to the old front wing. He said he could feel the inconsistency and performance loss. Let's hope it's a good sign that the aero dept has learned a thing or two and can move forward again.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net