2019 German Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Formula 1 out of control?
CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 02:21
With the way Formula 1 has been going for so many years with the teams with big budgets spending so much on front wings, bargeboards etc, it's no wonder it's just the same 3 teams lately that can win. I've watched a lot of F2 lately where they race on the same tracks. I've also watched indycar this year since they changed to a new aero package. Both series are more entertaining and have a lot more passing. So my question is.. Should F1 change to a one chassis Formula designed by an outside source? Is that the answer to this mess we find ourself in as a sport?

Re: Formula 1 out of control?
T-800 Model 101 (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 03:09
Quote:
Should F1 change to a one chassis Formula designed by an outside source?

That is definitely not the answer. That would not be Formula 1 (Sm9)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 31/08/2018 11:09 by T-800 Model 101.

31 August, 2018 03:34
Quote:
Should F1 change to a one chassis Formula designed by an outside source?

Imagine if Formula 1 was a one chassis Formula when Williams had the FW14.

If Formula 1 was like this there would have been no dominate Williams FW14 (Sm9)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 31/08/2018 11:10 by T-800 Model 101.

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 10:44
F2 is better, I agree. Once you get to know some of the drivers, it is way more entertaining.

I think what would be more appropriate is mixed grids like F2. Quali instead of P3 and then a sprint race on Saturday afternoon where Quali is now. 1 tyre choice, no pit stops unless needed, Max fuel and flat out to the flag.

Then on Sunday, reverse the top 10 for the GP.

Sounds mad but it works in a lot of series and produces great entertainment.

I'm an F1 purist but realise that something has to give and it wouldn't be the first format change. Plus we would still have a proper GP but with a more enticing grid.

31 August, 2018 11:09
Its funny when you think about it, the Williams FW14 was a rocket ship but when you switch the numbers around, instead of FW14 make it FW41 and the 41 is a massive pile of dog $hit but the 14 was a rocket ship...funny how life works.

Gunk (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 16:12
I also thought I would never be in favour of reverse grids but, with the current pecking order, it really is the only way out of boring predictability.

Rosberg (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 16:21
Quote:
Gunk
I also thought I would never be in favour of reverse grids but, with the current pecking order, it really is the only way out of boring predictability.

with Mercedes / Ferrari's dominance in speed, I suspect they will be back at the front by lap 10; although it'd probably provide some sort of entertainment along the way.

F1 is broken ...

https://i.postimg.cc/wxVGXBcd/Rosberg-1.jpg

Mehryar (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 16:24
Budget cap + new aero rules + sticking to this race format.
Budget cap will close the field and with better aero package, a more somple one, overtaking will be done easier.
I am not for reverse grid as the quali will lose its importance + sprint race will the most boring race.also alot of strategy can play role in sprint race.Imagine the top 6 is locked, 4 lower positions can fight for 6 or so points or do the tricks to be on pole for next race.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

31 August, 2018 16:30
Okay what about having control front and rear wings then. Would that bring teams closer together and allow cars to follow. I still don't think the new aero rules have simplified the front wing design as much as they could have for example.

Another thought is maybe introduce success ballast?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/08/2018 16:31 by CLOVERLEAF 888.

Gunk (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 16:33
You're right of course. But at the moment I don't see Liberty achieving anything significant with budget caps or new engine regs.

andy si (IP Logged)
01 September, 2018 08:50
Equalize team rewards, restrict basic aero element design and reduce engine complexity.
It will give you better racing and more engine constructors for teams to choose on.

Mehryar (IP Logged)
01 September, 2018 09:39
Spot on, one plate front and rear wing, no winglet anywhere but a freedom on mechanical side to make up for the lost speed.It will do the trick for overtaking even with no ground effect.

Mehryar (IP Logged)
01 September, 2018 09:39
Spot on, one plate front and rear wing, no winglet anywhere but a freedom on mechanical side to make up for the lost speed.It will do the trick for overtaking even with no ground effect.

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
01 September, 2018 10:53
Reverse grid is OK because getting reverse pole becomes an exciting part of the race eg. 9th you are nowhere, 8th, you are on pole for race 2.

I don't ever see it happening, just my view.

At the moment I look forward to F2 far more than F1. It is actual racing.

02 September, 2018 17:57
Ozzy, you are like me, I look forward to the F2 far more and have only been watching it since start of last season. Its a amazing how on the same track, a F2 race can be exciting, and then the F1 race is a bore. I think this has just drawn my attention to how aero rules have ruined F1. It's interesting as well if you see what they done in indycar reducing aero. The 2018 indycar on road courses is a completely different looking beast to the aero laden 2017 cars.

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 23:50
Have to admit I haven't watched Indy this year due to TV costs and other stuff. Will catch up with it.

03 September, 2018 00:57
Yeah just watch it on the YouTube indycar channel. The races are shown live or you can watch again by the Thursday after the race. I actually didn't start watching indycar at the start of the season. So had a bit of catching up to do. Cars actually look more like they used to rather than the boxed in rear wheel design that was introduced the season after the Dan Wheldon Crash

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 10:09
Ah cool. I watched Indy on that last year but assumed it was sort of hacked! Amazing that they just put it out there free. F1 has a lot to learn.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net