Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Rob Smedley to Leave Williams
Vancha (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 09:37
Rob Smedley to Leave Williams

Williams can confirm that Rob Smedley will leave the team at the end of the 2018 FIA Formula One World Championship season.

Rob joined the team in 2014 as Head of Performance Engineering, making his first appearance at the Bahrain Grand Prix to help guide the race operations team at a time of transition following a poor 2013 campaign. The team went on to finish third in the Championship for two consecutive years before finishing fifth in 2016 and 2017.

Commenting on the decision Rob said: I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Williams. The team has been through great change since I joined in 2014 and it has been a pleasure to have played a part in that. Williams is a very special team within the F1 community and Im certain that with all the talent that we have here they will go on and do better things. The team will always remain close to my heart. After 20 years in Formula One, however, I feel its the right time to reflect on things and evaluate what the next move is. Im thoroughly looking forward to spending more time with my family before deciding on future opportunities.

Claire Williams, Deputy Team Principal added: It has been a pleasure having Rob in our team for the last four years and we will miss him both personally and professionally. He agreed to join us at a time when our performance was low, and we are grateful that he saw the potential for us to turn things around at that time. During his time with us, he has made a significant contribution to the team through his role, but hes also been just a great person to have at Grove, inspiring many with his enthusiasm and passion for Formula One. Robs been in the sport a long time, so we totally understand and respect his decision to take some well-deserved time out to spend with his wife and boys. We wish him all the best and thank him wholeheartedly for the time, passion and fighting spirit hes given to Williams.

Re: Rob Smedley to Leave Williams
GPL (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 09:43
Yay.

I never did have much faith in this guy, but you guys know how i felt about him anyway
The guy in this role before him was much better in my opinion..

Good to see changes still going on.

There cannot be much chaff left now i hope.

ihme (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 09:52
Called it some months ago.

I remember when I said that he would be next in line after de Beer and people though I was crazy because what does he have to do with our problems etc and it makes no sense of firing the guy.

I remember the exact same thing when I said "could we consider Rich Energy to be our sponsor?" like two months ago.

(Sm60)

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 11:47
Things Rob Smedley has impacted in our team.

Positives

Improved our pitstop performance from the worst to the best. (Now the rest of the field have caught up and we're still alright.)

Improved our trackside decisions meaning in 2014 - 2017 when we had a competitive car we often had better strategies than those around us. (Not always perfect but never will be.)

Came with a great working relationship with Massa allowing the Brazilian to settle in and do some great things for our team.

Negatives.

The team has had a few brain fart moments operationally, such as Spa when Bottas took 3 softs and a medium.

As head of trackside performance, we have committed to updates on the car despite them not working (the new nose in 2016)

Stupid administrative decisions that have lead to numerous fines for the team like forgetting to hand tyres back in practice.

Overall, the things he has done for this team have and will continue to help us in the future.

Stu69 (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 12:17
Quote:
ihme
I remember when I said that he would be next in line after de Beer and people though I was crazy because what does he have to do with our problems etc and it makes no sense of firing the guy.

I remember the exact same thing when I said "could we consider Rich Energy to be our sponsor?" like two months ago.

(Sm60)

So what is your crystal ball saying for the future then??

Stu69 (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 12:18
Overall I would say Rob has been positive for us. Sad to see him go.

dot_com (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 13:09
We can probably afford Ocon now :-)

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 16:42
A capable guy no doubt and yes, he did sort out our pit stops. I'm sort on neutral on the the news. Too many strategy screw ups over the years. Maybe not his area of responsibility.

What we really need is a fast car........

Mehryar (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 17:50
I wasn't happy with him joining us back in 2014 as he wasn't anything special in his Ferrari years but the fact that under his control we improved our stops and strategies dramatically, changed my mind about him.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 17:54
Quote:
Mehryar
I wasn't happy with him joining us back in 2014 as he wasn't anything special in his Ferrari years but the fact that under his control we improved our stops and strategies dramatically, changed my mind about him.

It's hard for a race engineer of a second driver to blow you away though. His job at Ferrari was only managing Felipe's race. How would he impress you? Generally, the only time people judge a race engineer is by his mistakes. Let's look at Bottas' race engineer. The amount of times he's been left high and dry on old @#$%& tyres is unreal. But it's not really his fault anyway because it's a side effect of being on the sub optimum strategy of supporting Hamilton and screwing over Ferraris.

AlanJones (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 18:47
Quote:
ihme

(Sm60)

Buy a cake and go celebrate..

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

Mehryar (IP Logged)
05 November, 2018 18:48
Exactly, the fact that he was "just a driver engineer" and came here to take over a bigger role which was not available to him in Ferrari, meant to me that he was not good enough to improve in a leading team.So I was not impressed by him joining us but rolling over 12 months I was happy to be proved wrong.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

phatjack (IP Logged)
06 November, 2018 00:00
Quote:
AlanJones
Quote:
ihme

(Sm60)

Buy a cake and go celebrate..

You have gone soft! All ok in the Orange Country?

SehnKhan (IP Logged)
06 November, 2018 02:28
Off to reunite with Felipe Baby in Formula E?

phatjack (IP Logged)
06 November, 2018 22:16
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone
A capable guy no doubt and yes, he did sort out our pit stops. I'm sort on neutral on the the news. Too many strategy screw ups over the years. Maybe not his area of responsibility.
What we really need is a fast car........

Smedley. much like Massa and Barrichello didn't live up to expectations but it was generous as some might argue for williams to think they could extend their careers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net