Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Current Page: 12 of 31

Re: News and Stuff!
speed (IP Logged)
15 February, 2019 15:40
Seems like tobacco/liquor/PDVSA/Saudi/Qatari money is fine, but Rokit money is not?

Quote:
Mehryar
About your health concern, yes smoking hurts, but for 100th time I would love to hear if anyone meet a kid who starts smoking after seeing a Lucky Strike sticker on a F1 car.

Actually that's how kids start smoking/drinking. They see their favorite pop star, sports star, sports car in tobacco/liquor branding/adverts or do weed/drugs & they think it's cool to do it. I bet if there are some smokers/drinkers around here, there first time was when a friend pushed one in their hand & they thought it was cool to do it.

shriekback (IP Logged)
15 February, 2019 19:19
Quote:
phatjack
Quote:
shriekback
Quote:
phatjack
[b][/b]Dude F1 thrived of Tobacco and Alcohol Sponsorship ... it was considered acceptable, not very long ago. So what market will Rokit disrupt next?

Forgive me if I am being thick, but I don't get your point.

Yes, I am well aware of the tobacco industry's long (and continuing) history of sponsorship of F1 teams--including Williams. I also recall that it, like many unhealthy things, was considered acceptable. Let me place extra emphasis on the "was. "2001 is when tobacco advertising was banned in F1--18 years ago. I think the fact that Zak Brown felt compelled to defend McLaren's deal with BAT, and the high levels of complete BS he resorted to in his attempt to do so, however, indicate clearly that it is considered acceptable no longer. I am just glad that Williams is not forced to stoop to such undignified efforts to justify its new title sponsor.

By the way, outside of officially Muslim countries, I think tobacco and alcohol companies, and advertising for them, are viewed very differently--and rightly so. Tobacco and nicotine are inherently unhealthy, whereas moderate and occasional consumption of alcohol is not.

I don't understand your apparent suggestion that ROKiT has previously disrupted markets, or why you think it is relevant to ask which one will be next, certainly not in this context anyway. Please clarify if I have missed something though.

Your reply shows a bias against BAT and Phillip Morris while you gladly accept alcohol and beer consumption is more socially acceptable (Hence Rokit and there dabbling in the alcohol and beer markets is fine with you).

To my knowledge vaping a tutti-fruitti flavored alternative which is safer than nicotine is what BAT and Phillip Morris are promoting. Though I can understand you connecting the two, tutti-frutti vs nicotine.

A reasoned position can, of course, still be mistaken, but dismissing it as expressive of a mere "bias" without addressing the reasons given is intellectually lazy and dishonest.

Whether I accept the greater social acceptance of alcohol over tobacco gladly or not is not really the issue. I was only pointing out the fact of it. I don't recall Claire ever having to engage in the kinds of BS we've gotten from Zak Brown in defense of BAT's sponsorship of McLaren the past few days as a consequnce of Martini's sponsorship of Williams.

As for your understanding of tobacco substitutes as something other than alternative nicotine delivery devices, I think it is uninformed at least, and rather proves that advertising works (as a multi-trillion dollar global enterprise, should we be arguing over whether it works or not? Seriously?).

Read up: [www.hopkinsmedicine.org]

MViper (IP Logged)
15 February, 2019 20:00
Well Philip Morris is paying pretty penny for Mission Winnow (marlboro resemblance is obvious) and nobody seems to care except for Ferrari accountants.

Williams Racing

Mehryar (IP Logged)
15 February, 2019 20:31
Quote:
speed

Quote:
Mehryar
About your health concern, yes smoking hurts, but for 100th time I would love to hear if anyone meet a kid who starts smoking after seeing a Lucky Strike sticker on a F1 car.

Actually that's how kids start smoking/drinking. They see their favorite pop star, sports star, sports car in tobacco/liquor branding/adverts or do weed/drugs & they think it's cool to do it. I bet if there are some smokers/drinkers around here, there first time was when a friend pushed one in their hand & they thought it was cool to do it.

"Begging the question" is an informal fallacy that occurs when an argument's premises assume the truth of the conclusion, instead of supporting it.

Don't mix the truth with your point to show it as a fact, mate.
Pop stars? yes...Sport stars? yes...Favorite artists? Yes...Friends introducing them? Yes (myself too)...They think it looks cool? Yes...Tobacco ads? NO!
If a kid gets impressed by a sticker and goes to start smoking, then he probably gets impressed by watching a volcano smoke too.They may change their brand cause of that sticker, but to start it? No way.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

phatjack (IP Logged)
15 February, 2019 20:53
Quote:
shriekback
Quote:
phatjack
Quote:
shriekback
Quote:
phatjack
[b][/b]Dude F1 thrived of Tobacco and Alcohol Sponsorship ... it was considered acceptable, not very long ago. So what market will Rokit disrupt next?

Forgive me if I am being thick, but I don't get your point.

Yes, I am well aware of the tobacco industry's long (and continuing) history of sponsorship of F1 teams--including Williams. I also recall that it, like many unhealthy things, was considered acceptable. Let me place extra emphasis on the "was. "2001 is when tobacco advertising was banned in F1--18 years ago. I think the fact that Zak Brown felt compelled to defend McLaren's deal with BAT, and the high levels of complete BS he resorted to in his attempt to do so, however, indicate clearly that it is considered acceptable no longer. I am just glad that Williams is not forced to stoop to such undignified efforts to justify its new title sponsor.

By the way, outside of officially Muslim countries, I think tobacco and alcohol companies, and advertising for them, are viewed very differently--and rightly so. Tobacco and nicotine are inherently unhealthy, whereas moderate and occasional consumption of alcohol is not.

I don't understand your apparent suggestion that ROKiT has previously disrupted markets, or why you think it is relevant to ask which one will be next, certainly not in this context anyway. Please clarify if I have missed something though.

Your reply shows a bias against BAT and Phillip Morris while you gladly accept alcohol and beer consumption is more socially acceptable (Hence Rokit and there dabbling in the alcohol and beer markets is fine with you).

To my knowledge vaping a tutti-fruitti flavored alternative which is safer than nicotine is what BAT and Phillip Morris are promoting. Though I can understand you connecting the two, tutti-frutti vs nicotine.

A reasoned position can, of course, still be mistaken, but dismissing it as expressive of a mere "bias" without addressing the reasons given is intellectually lazy and dishonest.

Whether I accept the greater social acceptance of alcohol over tobacco gladly or not is not really the issue. I was only pointing out the fact of it. I don't recall Claire ever having to engage in the kinds of BS we've gotten from Zak Brown in defense of BAT's sponsorship of McLaren the past few days as a consequnce of Martini's sponsorship of Williams.

As for your understanding of tobacco substitutes as something other than alternative nicotine delivery devices, I think it is uninformed at least, and rather proves that advertising works (as a multi-trillion dollar global enterprise, should we be arguing over whether it works or not? Seriously?).

Read up: [www.hopkinsmedicine.org]

I am a responsible grown up and make my own choices and do not have any issue with Williams flying the Martini Banner on their livery or Heineken being and F1 Sponsor.

To ignore drinking and driving statistics is just foolish. Though with a hint of sarcasm, I would add "Drink Responsibly' or if "You Drink Don't Drive".

ihme (IP Logged)
16 February, 2019 14:58
George's helmet + the racing suit which seems to be mostly black with a splash of navy blue - just like our polo shirts:

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/4eff7d8bdab1957674a6c158131d3f462d1cd995acfaabc0f1314245815956db.png

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/aa0753bf50e3a57fb72cf58ddfcb3f93569088c8aaff734580968dd62bfe9455.png

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/02/2019 15:04 by ihme.

shriekback (IP Logged)
16 February, 2019 17:13
Quote:
ihme
George's helmet + the racing suit which seems to be mostly black with a splash of navy blue - just like our polo shirts:
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/4eff7d8bdab1957674a6c158131d3f462d1cd995acfaabc0f1314245815956db.png

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/aa0753bf50e3a57fb72cf58ddfcb3f93569088c8aaff734580968dd62bfe9455.png

Thanks for posting this. George is going to look sharp in the car with that helmet, I think.

Gwanni (IP Logged)
16 February, 2019 17:51
Renault did the shakedown, [f1i.com]

GroveF1 (IP Logged)
16 February, 2019 19:02
There's a Williams F1 in depth documentary on bbc2 at 9pm for British viewers - 1.45 hours long. Longer than the film so think it's a different one.

shriekback (IP Logged)
16 February, 2019 19:22
Quote:
MViper
Well Philip Morris is paying pretty penny for Mission Winnow (marlboro resemblance is obvious) and nobody seems to care except for Ferrari accountants.

You must have missed this: [www.gpfans.com]

MViper (IP Logged)
17 February, 2019 09:33
Quote:
shriekback
Quote:
MViper

Yeap, I missed this. But I'm 99% nothing will happen. They're sponsoring Ducati MotoGP team as of this year as well.

Williams Racing

GroveF1 (IP Logged)
17 February, 2019 09:44
Pulling out of a filming day is one thing but this doesn't sound good.....

Formula 1 testing: Williams pull out of opening day in Barcelona - [www.bbc.co.uk]

IanSmithISA (IP Logged)
17 February, 2019 11:10
Good morning,

On the subject of Alcohol and sponsors who sell it, I saw an advert on T.V. yesterday for Guinness Clear; 100% H2O.

[www.guinness.com]

... and yes it does mean what you think it means, they are advertising water and advertising drinking other non alcoholic drinks along with your Guinness.

At the moment the advert is a spoof, they aren't selling their own brand of bottled water.

I assume that most people here know the Guinness brand and certainly in the U.K. they are one of the most imaginative advertisers.

If they see the need to start to establish themselves as supporters of going out and not drinking alcohol then it is likely that they see a future where alcohol advertising may be banned.

Bye

Ian

ihme (IP Logged)
17 February, 2019 17:23
Our new motorhome:

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/b697ce3d494a8a8fba1ebcc9d7222e8a76f19a8a1e58483f530ddb01642eee35.jpg?w=600&h=308

shriekback (IP Logged)
17 February, 2019 19:38
Quote:
MViper
Quote:
shriekback
Quote:
MViper

Yeap, I missed this. But I'm 99% nothing will happen. They're sponsoring Ducati MotoGP team as of this year as well.

I completely agree. One could imagine a small team being forced to alter their livery to race in Australia--if they did determine that the Mission Winnow nonsense was tobacco advertising in disguise and thus illegal there--but F1 is Ferrari for a lot of fans and I am sure they will find a way to let them do their thing and look the other way.

My point, however, was just that I am glad we don't have to watch Claire twist herself up in BS when the inevitable questions come about sponsors that promote inherently unhealthy products--about how Philip Morris or BAT is a tremendous company despite the evil they do and we're not even connected to the evil part anyway and its a technology-based relationship, yadda, yadda...

Claire really needs to be able to direct all her BS mojo into justifying the car looking pretty much like last year's stinker, not having it ready for testing, etc.,

j-s (IP Logged)
17 February, 2019 20:56
It's not the end of the world, as she says. They made a decision, so be it. One less day, and they'll try to make it up.

No reason to panic.

shriekback (IP Logged)
17 February, 2019 21:11
Quote:
ihme
Our new motorhome:
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/b697ce3d494a8a8fba1ebcc9d7222e8a76f19a8a1e58483f530ddb01642eee35.jpg?w=600&h=308

Thanks for posting the pic ihme. I think the repainted digs looks pretty cool.

Gunk (IP Logged)
17 February, 2019 23:24
[quote shriekback]

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/aa0753bf50e3a57fb72cf58ddfcb3f93569088c8aaff734580968dd62bfe9455.png[/quote]

[/quote]

He doesn't look old enough to drive a car. I think if he turned up in an Uber taxi I'd say . . .. . umm, er, never mind I'll take a bus

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
17 February, 2019 23:34
Well I'm an extremely irresponsible adult so I will blame anything going for anything I do wrong (or right). I'm a lover, not a fighter.

#Ispeedatnight

EagleF1 (IP Logged)
19 February, 2019 11:46
I'm still expecting one more sponsor to join, hope the contract was signed before all the mess with the FW42.

Current Page: 12 of 31

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net