Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 05:49
So folks. What's going to go down?

Generally I see HAM getting a 6th title. He has been virtually flawless this year. BOT is no obstacle. The Ferrari will have to be far superior to make up for VET's errors. The Honda will have to be far more reliable for VER to launch a challenge. What I'm excited about is seeing just what VER and LEC can bring. I have a strong feeling that LEC will beat VET over a full season. Maybe even title contender.

Outside of this, interesting to see what the factory Renault team can do.

As for us. Well. I'm not getting my hopes up.

Re: 2019
Andrew Hooper (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 07:34
Well next step is 2 day test at Abu Dhabi which leads into 2019. Will be interesting to see how Russell and Kubica compare.

Mehryar (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 16:48
There's alot of exciting things to watch in '19 for me.
Williams form out of their worst ever season.
Russell performance & how he improves through the season.
Stroll's performance against Perez.
Lecrec beating Seb.
Dan against consistent Hulk.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

Francesc (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 17:17
On paper the 2019 season apppears to be the most exciting one since I can remember for various reasons.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 17:19
Shame Ocon isn't in the other Merc. Although I don't actually believe he'd be any better than Bottas.

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 23:11
LEC / VET should be the most interesting in my view. But we'll see. If VET is handed his ass by a less experienced driver again, his No.1 status and market value is going to take a massive hit.

I don't see why Merc would want OCO at the mo. There seems mostly harmony at Merc and BOT is not causing HAM the problems that ROS did. A clear 1 /2 situation on pure merit. Why would they want to change that? OCO seems a bit edgy and is he really the legend that everyone says he is? Hasn't really shown that in my view and still seems a little immature. I would imagine Merc are looking past him now and more at RUS as their future superstar.

M79 (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 08:05
Quote:
Mikef1
Shame Ocon isn't in the other Merc. Although I don't actually believe he'd be any better than Bottas.

If I were Toto, I'd have a serious think over the winter about who to put in the other seat next to Lewis. I don't see Bottas really recovering mentally from the spanking he got this year...

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 08:15
Quote:
M79
Quote:
Mikef1

If I were Toto, I'd have a serious think over the winter about who to put in the other seat next to Lewis. I don't see Bottas really recovering mentally from the spanking he got this year...

Well up to five races ago a guy I know at merc said under normal circumstances there is around a tenth between the two of them. Bottas loss was exaggerated by compromised strategies designed to maximise the team result and not his result as an individual. At that point, he said speed wasn't really Bottas' issue, but circumstance.

They will want the bottas from early 2018 back, the one who was in contention for race wins.

Mehryar (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 10:14
Bottas avg gap with Lewis is smaller than what Nico was doing, not the head to head stats but the gap is smaller in average and so it tells Bottas is closer on pure pace.

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 11:27
On a lap yes, but he seems to fall back in races.

CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 12:49
I've got a feeling Bottas has been destroyed mentally and he may not recover. He's not on Hamiltons level and he knows it. I can see Bottas being replaced by occon during the season if he's losing the team constructors points. Also if something was to happen the Hamilton I don't believe he could lead the team to a championship.

Gunk (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 14:22
You have to wonder if team orders are l counter productive. There's no doubt that Lewis would have taken the title without them this year - maybe not by 88 points but you only need one or even half a point as in the past.

It's also quite likely that Ferrari would have taken the constructors. Kimi had several races compromised at the start of the season - a crazy time for team orders anyway - either being pitted too early or left out too long. Equally crazy was asking Bottas to pull over, as early as lap 13 ffs, when Lewis was 50 odd points ahead with only a couple of races to go.

Quite honestly, I think Seb needs pushing. The 'I shouldn't have to race my team mate' (actual quote) attitude does make for some very boring races. By contrast, Lewis is quite capable of pushing himself, so why destroy Bottas' motivation. So I am hoping for Max to barge and bully his way through a few comfort zones next year. And I hope Bottas decides it's 'no more Mr Nice guy'. For most of this season, only the midfield battles were worth the TV money.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 15:11
[quote Ozzy Osbone]On a lap yes, but he seems to fall back in the races.

They are driving to deltas in the races. Pushing at 70%. If Bottas was falling back over an average stint that's a decision from his team. Constantly these cars will smash out a fastest lap on ridiculously old tyres. Tyre management is the only way those guys influence their pace.

Gunk (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 16:19
Speaking of midfield battles, I see a 3 tier F1 next year.

Tier 2 is Renault, Haas and Force India. Here's how they finished.

Renault 122 points
Force India 111 (but only 52 officially counted because of 'new team' change)
Haas 93

All these teams are on an upward trajectory. Haas should have on finished on top. 20 points were thrown away in Australia alone due to new team inexperience, while a flaky Grosjean easily cost them the same during the season. But there's potential here.

FI shouldn't be so close to Renault either, but they get a massive boost next year. Stroll is planning to add some 200 people and in-house facilities to speed up development parts. Serious stuff.

Meanwhile, Renault has the strongest driver pairing and just needs its investment to gel into more power and reliability.

Tier 3 at the bottom of the table will be just as hotly contested. I think the brilliant turn around at Sauber shows just how hard it is to get back up. From last in 2017 to 8th place is in fact a giant leap these days. Williams and McLaren have barely begun to turn the corner. To finish 7th or 8th in 2019 would not be bad.

Mehryar (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 16:38
I think Sauber has more chance to be in your tier2 than FI and Haas.
Whatever Lawrence is going to throw in the team, takes time to pay off and Stroll jr can cost them the points Ocon was grabbing easily.
Haas, no idea but atleast their line up is below their competition.
Sauber has made a big step specially since mid season and with 2 good drivers, there's no reason to think they will stop.

Very hard job ahead of us to gain any position in the standings.

ihme (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 17:13
We still have a Mercedes engine in the back. There will be new aero rules - and this is important - who knows, maybe others will get it wrong. We've got two proper drivers now.

I got a feeling that if we would have fixed just the cooling issues alone with the FE41 that would give us a solid boost in performance this year but sadly it was too big of a task.

I think we used SMP's money to fund the development of the next years car after it was apparent that the FW41 is beyond broken.

In my opinion we wont be starting at the back in Melbourne. That will be the place of Toro Rosso. McLaren is still a gamble - no Alonso and still with the Renault power unit.

Mehryar (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 18:38
I'm with you on the cooling thing & how it could send us into random points.
But other things, I like to stay pessimistic and I have reasons for that.

Our budget of '18 was one of the smallest & it won't improve next year regardless of how much Kubica brings in.No improvement on that front.

Who is our chief designer now? Who is the head of aero department? 2 top figures are fired with no direct replacement.The last time we lost a big technical man and left the place empty for a while, it was Pat leaving and the fw40 which was the 4th best car in OZ, had nearly zero development through the year as the new team came in too late to understand the design philosophy & work on it.again no improvement in that part, infact a step in wrong direction.

On drivers front, we're definitely in a better position but imho for second part of the season.One is a rookie, you can't expect him to jump in the car & perform right away.The other one has been out of open wheel racing for 8yrs.Same for him too...If Kubica is as fast as 2010 Abu Zabi, a nice surprise & if Russell is upto speed right out of the garage, that's brilliant but logically this is not the case.

Infact we should pin our hopes more on others @#$%& it up with their designs rather than us making a big leap forward.
So I think it's better to stay pessimistic & get a good surprise when it comes to winter tests than expecting miracles & get disappointed in Feb.

Gunk (IP Logged)
29 November, 2018 13:19
Quote:
Mehryar
I think Sauber has more chance to be in your tier2 than FI and Haas.
Whatever Lawrence is going to throw in the team, takes time to pay off and Stroll jr can cost them the points Ocon was grabbing easily.
Haas, no idea but atleast their line up is below their competition.
Sauber has made a big step specially since mid season and with 2 good drivers, there's no reason to think they will stop.

Very hard job ahead of us to gain any position in the standings.

Absolutely agree with last point.

Haas is 75% a Ferrari, mega batteries included . . . that's why they got away with inconsistent drivers last year. Very surprised they didn't go for Perez . . . or maybe he didn't want the ride.

STR will have the same Newey rear end as RBR, half the battle.

I imagine Sauber could go either way - new regs and different designer after Zander was fired. On the other hand, their development was excellent this year finishing with three 7th places. You could be right.

On paper, only McLaren look vulnerable.

ihme (IP Logged)
29 November, 2018 13:39
I dont think Toro Rosso will use any part's from Red Bull. This wasnt the case until now and it probably wont be the case in 2019. Plus the are losing James Key.

There is no reason why we shouldnt be quicker than Toro Rosso and McLaren. We cant look fro m the perspective of this year - there will be different front wings, different bargeboards and different rear wings next year. So everyone (maybe apart from Merc, Ferrari and Red Bull) could get it wrong at the beginning.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
29 November, 2018 15:25
Pretty sure they use the red bull gearboxes?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net