Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Latifi joins Williams as reserve driver for F1 2019
Vancha (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 13:51
WILLIAMS MARTINI RACING Announces Nicholas Latifi as a Reserve Driver

WILLIAMS MARTINI RACING is pleased to announce Nicholas Latifi as a Reserve Driver for the 2019 FIA Formula One World Championship.

The Canadian has enjoyed a successful career in the junior formulas and is a multiple FIA Formula 2 race winner. He brings a wealth of experience and knowledge that will prove invaluable in the development of the FW42’s performance. The 23-year-old will support the team at race weekends and the factory to help maximise car performance. He will also be involved in the team’s media and sponsorship programme.

As a Reserve Driver in the 2019 season, Nicholas will drive in six FP1 sessions, two in-season test days, one pre-season test day in Barcelona and two Pirelli test days. Along with this, Nicholas will be fully immersed into the team both trackside and in the factory at Grove whilst undertaking simulator sessions.

Nicholas Latifi said; “I'm thrilled to be joining an iconic team like Williams as a Reserve Driver for 2019. It's a fantastic opportunity to continue my F1 development, and to build my on-track experience with more FP1 sessions and the rookie and Pirelli tests. As well as this, a big part of my role will be simulator driving and helping to support the development of the new car. I look forward to spending time in the factory at Grove, immersing myself within the team and assisting wherever I can. This is an amazing opportunity that I’ve been given and I’m excited to get started.”

Claire Williams, Deputy Team Principal, added: “I am delighted to confirm Nicholas Latifi as a Reserve Driver for the 2019 season. Nicholas has been racing successfully in the junior formula, he has the racing pedigree that we’re looking for and he is incredibly intelligent and diligent. Nicholas will drive in FP1 sessions and at several tests next year. Along with this, he will undertake simulator work for the team. We are certain he will be a great fit for the team and we look forward to working with Nicholas next season.”

Re: Latifi joins Williams as reserve driver for F1 2019
Mehryar (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 14:34
I never thought signing up a half Iranian driver can make me disappointed.But now I am disappointed because he is taking away time & milage off from our rookie drivers.What the hell does it bring technically to give one pre season season run to this guy when both of our drivers need those limited test runs even more than other?

Does he bring valuable feedback? Surely not more than our race drivers.
Is he a super talent who's gonna replace someone next year? His track records tell something else.
Does he have money? Yes.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

Vancha (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 14:44
Maybe our canadian sponsors will stay

+ will bring more pay driver money

CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 14:46
Had the odd good outing in F2 but nothing special. A bit dissatisfied with this choice... What do you think Ozzy as I know you follow the F2 closely too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2018 16:44 by CLOVERLEAF 888.

ihme (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 14:59
A reserve driver without superlicense (Sm8)

Mehryar (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 16:16
Without superlicense? Then how on earth is he set for some runs during the pre-season testing? Or maybe the need for superlicense is only for race weekends?

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

Francesc (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 17:15
Money, money... Expect an announcement about Sofina joining Williams as a sponsor shortly... Or directly seeing its logo on the FW42.

[www.sofinafoods.com]

He has a superlicense to drive in testing and free practice sessions but not to race.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2018 17:26 by Francesc.

Gunk (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 19:01
Quote:
Mehryar
I never thought signing up a half Iranian driver can make me disappointed. But now I am disappointed because he is taking away time & mileage from our rookie drivers.

I'd agree about pre-season testing . . . and six FP1s is a lot . . . our development driver last year got just three. On the other hand, he must surely be paying top dollar.

His track record on paper isn't great, no . . . four and a bit mediocre seasons in GP2/F2. But that doesn't necessarily mean he's a waste of space as a tester.

I suppose after all the dismal news, we have two at least credible drivers this year and a far better budget than anticipated, So not all bad.

speed (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 19:19
6 FP1s is a lot! Hopefully he will get them where both drivers have raced before & we are getting good money for it. 4 seasons in GP2/F2 is not a good sign for anyone.

phatjack (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 19:21
Quote:
Francesc
Money, money... Expect an announcement about Sofina joining Williams as a sponsor shortly... Or directly seeing its logo on the FW42.
[www.sofinafoods.com]

He has a superlicense to drive in testing and free practice sessions but not to race.

So they have their hands on both McLaren and Williams.

Francesc (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 20:36
Quote:
speed
6 FP1s is a lot! Hopefully he will get them where both drivers have raced before & we are getting good money for it. 4 seasons in GP2/F2 is not a good sign for anyone.

Most likely he will get then on weekends where there's no F2. Australia neither because it's the first race of the season. So we've got China, Canada, Japan, Austin, Mexico and Brazil. Singapore not because is an strret track so regular drivers need all the track time.

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 21:37
My view is that he could be a capable F1 driver. But no more. Too many off days. This is all about $$$ and that is fair enough. Nothing to get excited about.

Anderis (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 21:37
Well, that sucks. The man is older than Stroll but, according to wikipedia, he has only won 3 races in feeder series so far, 2 of them being reversed grid sprint F2 races. He is nowhere near F1 level, much worse than any driver on the grid in recent years and he shouldn't be driving FPSs. But I guess we need to take the money from somewhere.

Albi-Quin (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 21:56
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone
My view is that he could be a capable F1 driver. But no more. Too many off days. This is all about $$$ and that is fair enough. Nothing to get excited about.

I admit I was quite surprised as I was expecting Markelov especially as his Dad fell out with FI?
Still got a sponsor off FI. Also how does it stand with the old man investing in McLaren?

phatjack (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 22:41
Quote:
Anderis
Well, that sucks. The man is older than Stroll but, according to wikipedia, he has only won 3 races in feeder series so far, 2 of them being reversed grid sprint F2 races. He is nowhere near F1 level, much worse than any driver on the grid in recent years and he shouldn't be driving FPSs. But I guess we need to take the money from somewhere.

His dad owns 10% of McLaren and Claire needed the money. So it's a win win.

EagleF1 (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 14:41
Interesting, really thought he'd stay at FI / RPFI or go to McLaren. That's a lot of sessions signed over to him, must be a nice few bucks coming from Sofina and daddy.

EagleF1 (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 14:45
Wait a minute... how can he be 'Reserve' driver if he hasn't got a full Super licence? Will we need another 'stand by' driver in case GR or RK are ill at race one?

EagleF1 (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 14:47
(Sm100)Would Merecedes lend us Ocon? (Sm100)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2018 14:47 by EagleF1.

pixel (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 18:07
Quote:
EagleF1
(Sm100)Would Merecedes lend us Ocon? (Sm100)
I think Wolff and Ocon have both suggested he would be a reserve driver for multiple teams - so presumably Ocon would be the "real" reserve driver.

EagleF1 (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 19:55
The Williams press release says Williams Martini Racing announce Nicholas Latifi as ‘A’ reserve driver.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net