f1
Latest News:

2019 Australian Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Formula E - Anyone Following?
Gunk (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 09:21
It's now the fifth season of a series which is building a fanbase and attracting serious money. Is it the future?

I'll admit, I haven't watched anything since the rather ho-hum start but on paper there should be a lot to like. Some quite personable drivers. Some interesting venues . . . Rome, Marrakesh, Berlin . . . and tech rivalry between major manufacturers, with BMW joining the party this year.

The season opener is on 15 December. I might give a try to see what they're doing right.

 
Re: Formula E - Anyone Following?
Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 11:31
I do watch it. Some of the tracks seem too narrow to me leading to dull races and the swapping of cars seemed a bit micky mouse. The new car will now do a full race though. A lot of the drivers you kind of think should be F1 are there too.

I think what they are doing right is not being afraid to change things to improve the show. Where F1 gets mired in endless arguments and achieves nothing, FE seems to just make those changes.

Of course, as battery tech improves, they will be able to get out on the proper circuits.

I can see at some point in the future, the series merging with F1 or even plain taking over from it. Road cars are not going to be burning oil for very much longer so where does that leave F1? Hydrogen?

 
Re: Formula E - Anyone Following?
Gunk (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 11:56
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone

I can see at some point in the future, the series merging with F1 or even plain taking over from it. Road cars are not going to be burning oil for very much longer so where does that leave F1? Hydrogen?

I watched the BBC docu made last year, which followed Alex Lynn's unsuccessful season with Virgin.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

It does indeed end with statement,'it is the future, like it or not'. New petrol or diesel cars will be banned from 2040 in the UK and some European countries are pushing for shorter deadlines.

Legislation can't ban track petrol racing but it's hard to see manufacturers bothering with what will be a 'historic' series.

 
Re: Formula E - Anyone Following?
Gunk (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 12:36
There are some notable updates this year. Now the batteries last a whole race.

We have 'attack mode' . . . extra boost available in certain sectors . . . as well as fanboost.

The arrival of Massa at Venturi and Suzie Wolff as Team Manager adds a little more presence.

Although the chassis is spec, no two drivetrains are the same.

0 - 100 in 3 seconds, top speed capped at 235 kph.

 
Re: Formula E - Anyone Following?
Gunk (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 12:37



 
Re: Formula E - Anyone Following?
Williams-123 (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 12:54
I have watched it and I don't like it, the cars look slow and all the drivers are Formula 1 rejects...thumbs up

 
Re: Formula E - Anyone Following?
Gunk (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 17:51
Quote:
Williams-123
I have watched it and I don't like it, the cars look slow and all the drivers are Formula 1 rejects...

I wouldn't say all are rejects exactly . . . some didn't find a place. I think the driver profile will change. There's a big intake of new guys in F1 this year and the openings will be few next year.

Certainly FE was not happy losing Albon, one of the first young guys to see FE as an upward career move. I think at the moment we have to see how it evolves.

 
Re: Formula E - Anyone Following?
Mehryar (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 18:55
I will.
I think the serie has alot of potential and will only get better.Also a good thing to fill in before winter testing begins.



http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

 
Re: Formula E - Anyone Following?
Gunk (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 21:34
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone
I think what they are doing right is not being afraid to change things to improve the show. Where F1 gets mired in endless arguments and achieves nothing, FE seems to just make those changes.

The inertia in F1 is largely down to two teams having all the power and all the money.

It will be very interesting how this develops - I don't see that Merc and Ferrari can hi-jack FE in quite the same way.

How will the changeover take place? At the last moment, or phased in with hybrids developing gradually more electric power than petrol hp?

Will the disadvantaged teams jump ship to FE prior to the crunch date?

In the BBC docu, Branson argues that 2040 is unnecessarily distant . . . tech moves very fast these days. He has a point.

 
Re: Formula E - Anyone Following?
CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 23:35
I have watched it, given up, tried again numerous times but given up again

Why.?? I can't stand the high pitched remote control car noise they make. It goes right through me. I wish they could have sound generators fitted to sound like an engine. It might mask the screechy noise. I truly want to like it, but I just can't get into it.

 
Re: Formula E - Anyone Following?
Williams-123 (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 00:43
Quote:
CLOVERLEAF 888
I have watched it, given up, tried again numerous times but given up again
Why.?? I can't stand the high pitched remote control car noise they make. It goes right through me. I wish they could have sound generators fitted to sound like an engine. It might mask the screechy noise. I truly want to like it, but I just can't get into it.

Also CLOVERLEAF don't you think they just look plain slow? They look very slow to me compared to a F1 car.

 
Re: Formula E - Anyone Following?
IanSmithISA (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 06:39
Good morning,

Is it the future, I suspect not.

Formula E seems to have a problem similar to F1 in that hosting fees are a problem for many locations.

Montreal got itself into a mess, signing a 3 year deal, wanting to cancel it as it appears to be a big money loser, although other cities have been able to make a profit.

This seems to be the same as F1, circuits like Silverstone can't afford it but Singapore can. As I understand it Singapore levies a "Hotel Room Tax" to help pay for the event something not easy to do in the UK and probably most of Europe.

In Birmingham, UK, a sub F1 street race day was run for a few years, the first year was great it was a novelty then interest waned. I have seen a similar trend in bicycle racing, both big events like the Tour Of Britain and a televised criterium (shirt course in a town centre) series.

For the casual spectator once the novelty wears off there is no emotional commitment to the event in the same way as there is to the local football, rugby or cricket team.

Once this novelty has worn off the residents start to resent the inconvenience and cost as setting up and taking down a street circuit always seems to be expensive and slow. :-)

Also the benefits tend to be for the larger chain businesses only, ones with excess capacity. If you run a small business and are full anyway then bringing more people to the city doesn't help you.

So it seems possible that at some point Formula E might run out of cities willing and able to host the events and be forced onto tracks.

Bye

Ian

 
Re: Formula E - Anyone Following?
Mikef1 (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 08:07
Formula e is tragic and electric cars for the masses is an unsustainable goal. It's a good stop gap. The cars are far too slow and unexciting. What they should really make is a renewable energy endurance race if they want to see real progress. Make the cars need to be fast with large range. Let any forms of renewable energy and technology be used to drive development and understanding.

 
Re: Formula E - Anyone Following?
Williams-123 (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 08:17
Spot on Mike, I have watched a little bit of Formula E and the cars do look really slow.

 
Re: Formula E - Anyone Following?
Gunk (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 14:59
Good debate guys, interesting points.

It was indeed my intention to watch this 5th, new generation season to see what works and what doesn't.

Alonso was asked if he had considered Formula E. His reply, 'there aren't any famous races.'

Motor racing is all about tradition, noise, spectacle, historic venues . . . it's possible it just doesn't work and never will without these elements. Buses make excellent transportation, but would you want to race them. A bit like these driverless car races - just nuts, surely.

About 'looking slow'. Ozzy commented on some of the narrow tracks. I watched the inaugural London e-prix, which appeared to take place on a cycle path. Really spastic. However the Berlin race shouldn't really suffer from cramp being held on the old @#$%& airfield at Templehof. I also remember the F3000 race in Birmingham (that's going back a bit, Ian) . . . which utilised some decent stretches of ring road.

About 'hosting fees'. Well, applies to many sports and how you compute profit and loss. The circuits have to get a better deal or they will all go the way of Silverstone.

Good thoughts from Mike. We are taking it for granted that R&D will solve all the problems of an electric vehicle revolution. Steam cars - hugely efficient - were basically killed off by the oil lobby yet the Stanley Steamer set a world land speed record in 1906. There were steam buses in Germany running in 1930s. Probably any number of possible technologies are being overlooked.

 
Re: Formula E - Anyone Following?
Mikef1 (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 15:28
Quote:
Gunk
Good debate guys, interesting points.
It was indeed my intention to watch this 5th, new generation season to see what works and what doesn't.

Alonso was asked if he had considered Formula E. His reply, 'there aren't any famous races.'

Motor racing is all about tradition, noise, spectacle, historic venues . . . it's possible it just doesn't work and never will without these elements. Buses make excellent transportation, but would you want to race them. A bit like these driverless car races - just nuts, surely.

About 'looking slow'. Ozzy commented on some of the narrow tracks. I watched the inaugural London e-prix, which appeared to take place on a cycle path. Really spastic. However the Berlin race shouldn't really suffer from cramp being held on the old @#$%& airfield at Templehof. I also remember the F3000 race in Birmingham (that's going back a bit, Ian) . . . which utilised some decent stretches of ring road.

About 'hosting fees'. Well, applies to many sports and how you compute profit and loss. The circuits have to get a better deal or they will all go the way of Silverstone.

Good thoughts from Mike. We are taking it for granted that R&D will solve all the problems of an electric vehicle revolution. Steam cars - hugely efficient - were basically killed off by the oil lobby yet the Stanley Steamer set a world land speed record in 1906. There were steam buses in Germany running in 1930s. Probably any number of possible technologies are being overlooked.

Hydrogen. Not overlooked, just oddly suppressed by oil giants and the government because it's so much easier to tax electricity and gas.

 
Re: Formula E - Anyone Following?
Gunk (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 20:00
Quote:
Mikef1
Hydrogen. Not overlooked, just oddly suppressed by oil giants and the government because it's so much easier to tax electricity and gas.

F1 doesn't necessarily have to exclude anything and hybrids can run multiple systems. In fact, hybrids are the best hedge ever over market/government manipulation. I can remember when diesel was half the price of petrol in France.

 
Re: Formula E - Anyone Following?
Mikef1 (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 21:41
Quote:
Gunk
Quote:
Mikef1
Hydrogen. Not overlooked, just oddly suppressed by oil giants and the government because it's so much easier to tax electricity and gas.

F1 doesn't necessarily have to exclude anything and hybrids can run multiple systems. In fact, hybrids are the best hedge ever over market/government manipulation. I can remember when diesel was half the price of petrol in France.

Diesel is and always was a crime against the planet. I think Hybrid is everything the world needs until a viable long term solution is found. Lithium battery cars have a higher carbon footprint than any mass production petrol car ever will and there isn't enough lithium on the planet for mainstream production. The sooner we can find a non oil alternative for the electricity grid, the better as it means moving away from the electric car farce.

 
Re: Formula E - Anyone Following?
Andrew Hooper (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 03:25
Electric vehicles are not the way to go off the track but as a racing series I am still undecided. Off the track most people in Australia are been hit by constant increases in energy costs including electricity. If we start to add cars into that mix one we won't be able to afford it and two we most likely won't be able to meet demand.

I would have thought hydrogen powered cars was a way that should be examined more as you can use the existing petrol distribution system to get it to places where people can get to easily. I also was lead to understand that you could retro fit petrol cars to use hydrogen. On top of that it produces water as its only by product.

As for Formula E I would not think it is a back water of second rate drivers. there are quite a few that were of F1 standards but just could not find a place in F1 due to its limited seats. This years cars will be a lot more interesting to watch, that's if I can find a place to watch them apart from pay tv. At least Formula E is not trying to dress itself up as an environmental series that is a given whereas F1 with its hybrid engines is just a bit of a joke in my opinion in regard to its environmental credentials.

Having the cars with longer range is certainly a big step forward but I am still not sure about the quality of racing. But having seen another F1 season that was quite lacking in terms of good races maybe Formula E is not that bad compared to F1.

Anyway I will watch the first race of the new Gen 5 series and hopefully that will help me make up my mind.

 
Re: Formula E - Anyone Following?
Williams-123 (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 07:35
The thing with Formula E is that there are no Hamilton's, Alonso's or Verstappen's in the sport
all the really top drivers are Formula 1 drivers not Formula E drivers and that kinda sums it up,...Formula E is not that great.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?