Seconds

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Sergey Sirotkin
ihme (IP Logged)
14 December, 2018 16:25
Quote:
phatjack
This is funny, a driver makes it to F1 but doesn't quite cut the mustard! Seems we can draw parallels to this phenomenon outside of hyper space.

Yeah Badoer got into F1 too. Among tens of other drivers who were forgotten just as quickly as was their career in F1 and that was for a reason - they werent good enough to stay there and the other teams were not interested to help them with this and keep them in F1. If it takes some driver years to finally have his chance in F1 after being a reserve driver for so damn long (like it was a case with Sirotkin) the chances are that his F1 career will be cut short very quickly.

To be honest even if Stroll had no money behind him i would have picked him instead of Sirotkin because the pace seems to be there, there were ocassional flashes of great driving and he can usually make a lot of places on he start of the races.

What were the resons for keeping Sirotkin? Two good quali sessions and a positive attitude and keeping his head down which is probably a trait of all rookies in F1. Sadly this is not enough to secure you a future in this business unless you keep shining even in a@#$%&car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/12/2018 16:31 by ihme.

CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
14 December, 2018 18:13
Ihme. I don't believe your comments about not being good enough to stay are quite on the ball these days. I say that because the structure seems to have changed more so recently. I'm talking about all these so called b teams we now have aligned to the a team. In other words if you ain't on the radar of the a team, it's very unlikely the b team will pursue you. That is now locking out seats and making opportunities less attainable. The fact that Mercedes had no real b team though is why ocon has lost his place. It wasn't he wasn't good enough, it was more how Formula 1 operates these days. To me every team should be 100 % it's own team. Is it any wonder mclaren and Williams are struggling whst the others help each other out.

phatjack (IP Logged)
14 December, 2018 23:31
I miss Jules!

Gunk (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 13:44
Quote:
CLOVERLEAF 888
Ihme. I don't believe your comments about not being good enough to stay are quite on the ball these days. I say that because the structure seems to have changed more so recently. I'm talking about all these so called b teams we now have aligned to the a team. In other words if you ain't on the radar of the a team, it's very unlikely the b team will pursue you. That is now locking out seats and making opportunities less attainable. The fact that Mercedes had no real b team though is why ocon has lost his place. It wasn't he wasn't good enough, it was more how Formula 1 operates these days. To me every team should be 100 % it's own team. Is it any wonder mclaren and Williams are struggling whst the others help each other out.

Absolutely. Sirotkin was a Renault protege, but Renault doesn't have a B team either. And the Ricciardo thing only happened because they'd had so many problems getting RBR to release Sainz. Sirotkin may be better or worse than Kvyat or Albon, who knows, but Toro Rosso is another closed shop.

It will be interesting to see Stroll vs Perez. Some may have to revise their assessments of Sirotkin up or down. But your point about the restrictions of the driver market is well made. From a competition point of view, it's quite unhealthy.

Mehryar (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 16:48
@ihme
What were the resons for keeping Sirotkin? Two good quali sessions and a positive attitude and keeping his head down which is probably a trait of all rookies in F1. Sadly this is not enough to secure you a future in this business unless you keep shining even in a@#$%&car.

----------------------

I'm wondering what else a good driver could do with a terrible car! To beat your team mate in direct qualifying battle in your rookie year, tells who is the faster guy so if you choose Stroll because of "flashes of speed" then you should prefer Sirotkin even more.
Anyway, things like this happen but it's better to stick with a line rather than changing your standards.
If your refrence is "team bosses don't take him so he's not good enough as they are smart and have data" then same can be said about Kubica.no one wanted him.
If your refrence is that sometimes things are not fair enough with drivers as their abilities are masked because of other parameters, like you clearly believe about Kubica & not having enough chances to prove his worth after the accident, then the Sirotkin case is the same.his whole career time was done in the worst car ever built by Williams & still managed to outpace his more experienced team mate.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 07:40
Quote:
Mehryar
@ihme

----------------------

I'm wondering what else a good driver could do with a terrible car! To beat your team mate in direct qualifying battle in your rookie year, tells who is the faster guy so if you choose Stroll because of "flashes of speed" then you should prefer Sirotkin even more.
Anyway, things like this happen but it's better to stick with a line rather than changing your standards.
If your refrence is "team bosses don't take him so he's not good enough as they are smart and have data" then same can be said about Kubica.no one wanted him.
If your refrence is that sometimes things are not fair enough with drivers as their abilities are masked because of other parameters, like you clearly believe about Kubica & not having enough chances to prove his worth after the accident, then the Sirotkin case is the same.his whole career time was done in the worst car ever built by Williams & still managed to outpace his more experienced team mate.

More than 2 good qualifying sessions. Sadly, I don't know whether Sirotkin was worth keeping as we don't know how much Stroll had improved over the winter. My hunch is that I'd have more confidence in Sirotkin over Stroll

Mehryar (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 09:23
It was a quote from ihme.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 17:18
Agree with Mike. I would take SIR over STR. Fast enough or faster and far better attitude. Sort of suited the team in my opinion. I thought he did a good job for us. I wish him all the best for the future.

Gunk (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 17:28
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone
Agree with Mike. I would take SIR over STR. Fast enough or faster and far better attitude. Sort of suited the team in my opinion. I thought he did a good job for us. I wish him all the best for the future.

I'm really sorry he he never had a chance to show anything. I always felt sad that Rubens ended his career in one of Williams worst cars. It happens in F1 of course.

Carinni (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 13:34
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone
Williams got Both drivers for money. Many cited the thorough walloping Felipe Massa gave Stroll in qualifying winning the team-mate battle 17-2 with an average gap of 0.963 seconds as more than enough reason to continue doubting his ability. Now SIR was just a little bit faster than stroll, no need to keep him except for the money,

CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 19:00
How on earth can you compare Sirotkin to Stroll in the worst car ever built is beyond me and say he was only a little faster so keeping him for money would be the only reason.????

Too much anti Sirotkin comments for my liking. And not enough looking at the real picture.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net