Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Current Page: 20 of 25

Re: The all New FW42
Nuvolari (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 22:40
Does anyone know why Williams needs to be careful on the kerbs? Which parts can potentially be damaged by driving too ‘aggressive’ over the kerbs? Suspension? Bargeboards?

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 22:50
Quote:
Nuvolari
Does anyone know why Williams needs to be careful on the kerbs? Which parts can potentially be damaged by driving too ‘aggressive’ over the kerbs? Suspension? Bargeboards?

Front wing end plates. Was the most common replaced part at the pre season tests. Any low hanging aerodynamic surface like the tea tray area and delicate bargeboard tomfoolery

ihme (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 22:52
Onboards (skip the forward facing cam): [www.youtube.com]

shriekback (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 23:50
Quote:
j-s
Who's still genuinely optimistic about the FW42, and why?
Today's practice was an eye opener for me. I expected to be last but not 1.7s behind P18. A slow car with no spares. A team that's been in F1 for 40 years that couldn't allow its car to run over kerbs. It's absurd.

It's quite obvious to me that Williams is hanging by a thread. A team doesn't stumble out of the gate like this unless there is something seriously wrong. To me, the symptoms are of a dying team.

What say you, optimists?

I'm no optimist, but neither am I a pessimist (both outlooks, I think, are irresponsible in that they each presume that the future is somehow determined and unavailable to change through human effort).

Obviously, there is indeed "something seriously wrong." That is undeniable. That what is wrong is symptomatic of impending death, however, is an unwarranted assertion.

To continue your health metaphor... Whatever has been afflicting Williams seems serious enough that it could well prove to be fatal were the team doing nothing to try to resolve the issue. But the patient, so to speak, is under treatment. We obviously cannot be certain that that treatment will succeed and restore the patient to health, but we also have no basis for concluding that it will necessarily fail either.

This is a disposition one could describe as a kind of "meliorism" (as opposed to optimism and pessimism), To adopt it is to hold that the world is open to meaningful human intervention and that our deliberate effort may actually work to steer the future toward the better. Let's hope that it is the disposition of those running Williams right now as it is the only disposition that is consistent with a belief in the efficacy of human intelligence.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 15/03/2019 23:55 by shriekback.

j-s (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 01:04
Deep thoughts, shriek. I mostly agree, however, hope that whatever treatment they'll adopt will actually work is just that. Hope. At least to us fans. And I don't have much of that anymore.

I'm not a pessimist either, but I feel comfortably talking about such things.

Fingers crossed that they get on top of things. Maybe they'll have enough spares in a couple of months.

A1841 (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 11:29
The FW42 has a fundemental flaw, which will take months to fix. Are we back in 2018?

[www.racefans.net]

Stu69 (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 11:33
Quote:
A1841
The FW42 has a fundemental flaw, which will take months to fix. Are we back in 2018?
[www.racefans.net]

OMG!! That’s twice! WTF!!

Nuvolari (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 12:00
I wonder what the ‘fundamental’ problem is... I guess it’s a different problem which the FW41 has. The FW41 was a nervous car and unpredictable in corners. This cars seems to have a different problem.. Mechanical grip would me guess be.

Francesc (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 12:31
Has to be the new front suspension.

Williams-123 (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 12:37
Quote:
Francesc
Has to be the new front suspension.

It blows me away that a modern Formula 1 team can get stuff like this so wrong.

With Williams facilities how can they mess something like this up so bad (Sm56)

Niedzwiedz (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 12:52
They job offers speaks pretty much for themselfs. Whole aero unit and some CFD and Simulator guys...that's heavy...

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 13:11
Which job ads? Did I miss something?

It's clear now that Paddy had to go. He's produced 2 fundamentally flawed cars and possibly put the future of the team at risk.

Something big needs to change at Williams. No more excuses.

maximilian72 (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 13:21
Two years in the row 'fundamental' problem with the car. Entire designer team must leave not only Paddy. Claire probably too. No team has survived results like this for long period of time.

Damon96 (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 13:24
At which point would it be better just to convert the FW40 to 2019 rules. Two cars both of the same development stream with fundamental flaws. Russell just said even if the flaw fixed the car will still be last. I cannot believe how the team has fallen apart. They need to go back to Pat with a begging bowl.

Williams-123 (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 13:25
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone
Which job ads? Did I miss something?
It's clear now that Paddy had to go. He's produced 2 fundamentally flawed cars and possibly put the future of the team at risk.

Something big needs to change at Williams. No more excuses.

It is amazing that one single man (Paddy Lowe) can actually bring down and destroy a Formula 1 team like Williams, even with their heritage.

You are correct Ozzy, Paddy Lowe has maybe put the future of the Williams team at risk.

I'm kinda worried that Williams may lose some sponsors (Rexona) because sponsors like their brand to be related to winners not a team that is 2 or 3 seconds of the pace.

ihme (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 13:30
A fundamental issue with the car again that should be fixed MAYBE in the next 3 months or more or maybe even never? Thank you Paddy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/03/2019 13:43 by ihme.

Rosberg (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 13:34
Unbelievable. Just what the team cannot afford.

https://i.postimg.cc/wxVGXBcd/Rosberg-1.jpg

j-s (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 13:35
Wow. But at least they are open about it.

What a waste of money and time the 41 and 42 have been. The team has been steered precisely in the wrong direction. What a waste. Embarrassing.

Last place is pretty much guaranteed now. Deservedly so.

Stu69 (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 13:42
I’m am really concerned for the team surviving this situation. Massive change needed. Frank needs to sell his shares. Get him out! Fresh blood at the top, a new board of directors, new ideas, new money, new name probably. What worked in the 20th century doesn’t work in he 21st. As a huge Williams fan I can see no way forward other than this. If we become a B team so be it.

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
16 March, 2019 13:52
Maybe Bernie will buy it? At least he would kick some ass, even at his age. Brundle was saying that the facilities are second to none. WTF is going on?

Maybe SFW needs to look at past mistakes and offer Newey the shares he should have given him back then.

Current Page: 20 of 25

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net