2019 Belgian Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Current Page: 23 of 45
Re: The all New FW42
Mikef1 19 March, 2019 08:37
That cooling exit is absurd. @#$%& me off every time I see it.

Williams-123 19 March, 2019 08:47
Quote:
Mikef1

The cooling exit on the 41 was absurd and now again it is the same on the 42....Absurd (Sm110)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/03/2019 10:03 by Williams-123.

Williams-123 19 March, 2019 08:57
Williams came dead last in the 2018 WCC but I still think they scored a few points with the FW41 did'nt they? But in 2019 I think Williams are at risk of not scoring a single WCC point with the FW42...................Scary(Sm17)

Fair Dinkum Pole 19 March, 2019 23:28
Quote:
Mikef1

yep it dose look unusual totally out of proportion
bit like big jet / rocket @#$%&
looks like it will be pretty uncomfortable / awkward dragging this thing behind

(hmmmm... I wonder if by any chance Kardashians are on the sponsors list and that is her signature)

siwy_dymek 19 March, 2019 23:32
I posted this post in a different forum place, but I see that here is a better place.

I really like Williams, I support them! Fingers crossed! Forza RK&GR. But comparing the pictures of the backside of other cars, one association comes to mind. I am counting on your English humor winking smiley

backside

phatjack 20 March, 2019 09:53
The only thing missing was a couple of Orlen Logos. (Sm111)

siwy_dymek 20 March, 2019 11:51
Quote:
phatjack
The only thing missing was a couple of Orlen Logos. (Sm111)

In this variant, the advertising space was limited. Rear wing not fitted winking smiley

dot_com 20 March, 2019 11:59
Quote:
Williams-123
Williams came dead last in the 2018 WCC but I still think they scored a few points with the FW41 did'nt they? But in 2019 I think Williams are at risk of not scoring a single WCC point with the FW42...................Scary(Sm17)

At the current rate, I don’t see how we can possibly score any points at all. Literally the only way would be if half of the field crashed out. I don’t think we’re battling for points this season, just survival. :-(

Mikef1 20 March, 2019 21:27
Quote:
dot_com
Quote:
Williams-123

At the current rate, I don’t see how we can possibly score any points at all. Literally the only way would be if half of the field crashed out. I don’t think we’re battling for points this season, just survival. :-(

Depends what they have in the pipeline I suppose. In it's current form the car is a million miles away from points and I can't see that changing with no technical leadership.

Mehryar 20 March, 2019 21:58
It would be called negativity once again but...
The worrying thing is next season car.
This year is aleady gone...It would be wishful thinking to think we can out develop 4-5 teams by 1.5 sec through the season and be in points with outright pace.

Worrying thing is fw43 should be started soon and we have no TD, no head of aero, no chief designer...any of these posts have a big effect on design process & those who ignored this should eat their words 3 years in a row.
We lost TD in 17 and it effected our development program.
We lost head of aero and it effected our development last season and this year car.
Things get harder for next year's car.

Any big name in F1 cycle needs a long gardening leave too...unless we look outside of f1.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

phatjack 20 March, 2019 23:24
Go easy, it was all the hype of this board topping the charts, he meant well. Now that reality sinks in things have calmed down. (Sm151)

Jones_silveira 20 March, 2019 23:42
Talking about next year (use google translate)

[sportowefakty.wp.pl]-

shriekback 21 March, 2019 07:13
Quote:
Mikef1

Pardon my ignorance, but why would Williams need a much larger cooling exit than does either Mercedes or Racing Point, given that they have the same power unit and thus identical cooling requirements?

Is there some really tricky science or super precise engineering involved in developing a cooling system such that Merc and RP just figured out how to do that job without a large exit and Williams have not? If they have not figured out what those other teams have, I surely hope it's tricky anyway.

Just a possibility: could there be some kind of trade-off involved--a larger cooling exit in exchange for an advantage elsewhere--that might suggest that the designers of the FW42 chose a design that would require a larger cooling exit purposefully? Even if they made such a choice and it was misguided, it would seem to me somehow preferable to accepting that they designed a car without a large cooling exit in mind but were forced by their failure elsewhere to adopt one to keep the PU from failing.

Mikef1 21 March, 2019 08:20
Quote:
shriekback
Quote:
Mikef1

Pardon my ignorance, but why would Williams need a much larger cooling exit than does either Mercedes or Racing Point, given that they have the same power unit and thus identical cooling requirements?

Is there some really tricky science or super precise engineering involved in developing a cooling system such that Merc and RP just figured out how to do that job without a large exit and Williams have not? If they have not figured out what those other teams have, I surely hope it's tricky anyway.

Just a possibility: could there be some kind of trade-off involved--a larger cooling exit in exchange for an advantage elsewhere--that might suggest that the designers of the FW42 chose a design that would require a larger cooling exit purposefully? Even if they made such a choice and it was misguided, it would seem to me somehow preferable to accepting that they designed a car without a large cooling exit in mind but were forced by their failure elsewhere to adopt one to keep the PU from failing.

Inlet, interior aerodynamics, exit. It's incredibly complicated now that teams have discovered incredible efficiency with tiny inlets. The interior air flow has to be perfect to transfer such a small volume of air through the radiators and out the back of the car. If you get it wrong there are pressure build ups meaning the airflow isn't as strong and this leads to overheating at which point your only option is to open the back of the car up.

I would add though that Williams has not yet tested a tighter set up, it is possible they overcompinsated for the test to ensure reliable running but the setbacks the team has experienced means they never got the finished product on track for Australia but that's only speculation. Bahrain we will see the same as it's a very hot to but at a cooler venue it would be nice to see a better solution

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/03/2019 08:21 by Mikef1.

andy si 21 March, 2019 21:36
Quote:
Mikef1
Quote:
shriekback
Quote:
Mikef1

Inlet, interior aerodynamics, exit. It's incredibly complicated now that teams have discovered incredible efficiency with tiny inlets. The interior air flow has to be perfect to transfer such a small volume of air through the radiators and out the back of the car. If you get it wrong there are pressure build ups meaning the airflow isn't as strong and this leads to overheating at which point your only option is to open the back of the car up.

I would add though that Williams has not yet tested a tighter set up, it is possible they overcompinsated for the test to ensure reliable running but the setbacks the team has experienced means they never got the finished product on track for Australia but that's only speculation. Bahrain we will see the same as it's a very hot to but at a cooler venue it would be nice to see a better solution

Williams is also the shortest design of the three... which all people seem to notice when talking gearbox shop, but when discussing why Williams can't work it side pod cooling solution... it may well have to do with the same reason.

andy si 21 March, 2019 21:39
In fact, I wonder why we are not at least trying to find out if Ferrari top sidepod outlet would work on their design well... or better than what it is now...

shriekback 21 March, 2019 21:42
Quote:
Mikef1
Quote:
shriekback
Quote:
Mikef1

Thanks Mike. That's an excellent explanation! (This is to say it's clear, not that I am happy about it.) I honestly hadn't really considered the matter of interior aerodynamics and always just assumed cooling was simple but had to be balanced with demands for external aerodynamics,which would place limits on ducts and the like.

Let's hope your speculation that it is just a matter of overcompensation proves to be true.

siwy_dymek 22 March, 2019 07:19
Quote:
Mikef1
Quote:
shriekback
Quote:
Mikef1

Williams presented a tight version of the car in Barcelona. In my opinion, Williams still has the same problems as last year. Even Robert said in an interview after Barcelona, that "demons of the last year have returned." I have looked through a lot of photos and besides the front suspension, the front and rear wings and bargeboards, there are no major differences in the car since 2018! The floor looks the same, monocoque, air inlets and their surrounding buildings without visible changes. It looks like they can not manage the internal air flow, but why is Racing Point is able? Maybe the transmission has different dimensions?
With such a hole in the ass they will never feed the diffuser with a proper flow of air

Barcelona
http://i66.tinypic.com/33yo0me.png

Australia
http://i67.tinypic.com/2dvuah4.png

Barcelona
http://i65.tinypic.com/2qlzi3a.png

Australia
http://i66.tinypic.com/21ju64h.png

shriekback 22 March, 2019 07:44
Thanks. No wonder I didn't notice that the cooling exit was so huge in Barcelona. It wasn't!

Mehryar 22 March, 2019 13:07
Autosport thinks the fundamental issue about our car is its weight.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Current Page: 23 of 45

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net