Current Page: 19 of 25

Re: The all New FW42
ihme (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 18:25
Quote:
AlanJones
So it's not EXACTLY the same

"It's exectly the same rear end we had during testing bar the cooling outlet!"

The fact that people are being positive about our "new and upgraded" rear end which stayed the same OR IS EVEN WORSE NOW than the one during testing (because of much bigger cooling outlet) is perplexing.

AlanJones (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 18:30
Quote:
ihme
Quote:
AlanJones

The fact that people are being positive about our "new and upgraded" rear end which stayed the same OR IS EVEN WORSE NOW than the one during testing (because of much bigger cooling outlet) is perplexing.

So.. it's not EXACTLY the same.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

ihme (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 18:56
Quote:
AlanJones
Quote:
ihme
Quote:
AlanJones

So.. it's not EXACTLY the same.

So if you dont count the cooling outlet, it's exactly the same.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 19:57
Thought it was worth mentioning that George Russels words about the car is that it felt great to drive and not had any unexpected issues like last year, so this year they can focus on bringing the downforce and building updates around performance not just problem solving. A bit of positivity.

ihme (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 20:42
Quote:
Mikef1
Thought it was worth mentioning that George Russels words about the car is that it felt great to drive and not had any unexpected issues like last year, so this year they can focus on bringing the downforce and building updates around performance not just problem solving. A bit of positivity.

Are You talking about the Paddock Pass, Mike? KUB also said that we are well prepared for this weekend and if everything will go smoothly they should run the car in the full performance mode over the 3 days.

phatjack (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 21:27
Finally got it ihme is a Sausage Fanboy.

Francesc (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 21:27
Russell's words were very funny, saying everyone expects us to be dead last, not running at all and with wheels falling off the car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/03/2019 21:40 by Francesc.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 21:32
Quote:
Francesc
Russell's words were very funny, saying everyone expects to be dead last, with wheels falling off the car.

Russell for sure is on reddit just like all the other young drivers and will be all to aware of the @#$%& that is said about Williams there

Francesc (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 21:41
Quote:
Mikef1
Quote:
Francesc
Russell's words were very funny, saying everyone expects to be dead last, with wheels falling off the car.

Russell for sure is on reddit just like all the other young drivers and will be all to aware of the @#$%& that is said about Williams there

That seems the case. Lol

Damon96 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 14:45
Has anyone read Adrian Newey's book How To Build An F1 Car? It has a section in it about the MP4-18 - which sounds familiar to what Williams faced.

The car hard good numbers in the wind tunnel but was aerodynamically unstable.....

Newey mentions how he had a similar issue with his 1989 Leyton House design (that was partly caused by the a problem with the floor of the wind tunnel they used causing them to be over aggressive in the diffuser design) Possibly what happened to Williams with the tunel upgrade?

Anyway back to the MP4-18 - basically Newey discusses how he and Peter Prodromou had found the issue and came up with the solution (needing chassis and side pod reshape) However Martin Whitmarsh called an engineering review because of Mclaren and there matrix system didn't have Adrian in full control, there was also Pat Fry and .... Paddy Lowe. Their view was the MP4-18 could be made reliable and competitive without a fundamental chassis change.

So Adrian pushed with Peter (Head of Aero) and Mike Coughlan (then chief designer) for the new chassis but Martin went with Paddy and they stuck with the MP4-18 - which was then then MP4-19A and had an awful start to 2004 and eventually they switched to Adrian's design changes mid season that he had raised the previous year.

The reason I raise it is it seemed to have similar parallels to what we have seen at Williams, and it is worrying how Paddy wanted to stick with a design that was fundamentally flawed despite the head of aero, chief designer and Newey all saying it was an error. Obviously we only have Newey's side of the story but if you look to the FW41, it was the head of aero and design who went, maybe again they held a different view to Paddy and he pushed them, who knows. But his name is now linked to one of the worst cars in Williams history and Mclarens.

On a side note the book is great, would really recommend it.

Gunk (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 15:04
Quote:
Damon96
Has anyone read Adrian Newey's book How To Build An F1 Car? It has a section in it about the MP4-18 - which sounds familiar to what Williams faced.
The car hard good numbers in the wind tunnel but was aerodynamically unstable..... (snip)

On a side note the book is great, would really recommend it.

Thanks for that, Damon. Always in the market for a good read.

We have to wonder if they fired the right people. Seems to me Ed Wood was quite key to the oversight of design and manufacturing processes. And De Beer appears to have been replaced by Flo Viz.

j-s (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 20:54
Who's still genuinely optimistic about the FW42, and why?

Today's practice was an eye opener for me. I expected to be last but not 1.7s behind P18. A slow car with no spares. A team that's been in F1 for 40 years that couldn't allow its car to run over kerbs. It's absurd.

It's quite obvious to me that Williams is hanging by a thread. A team doesn't stumble out of the gate like this unless there is something seriously wrong. To me, the symptoms are of a dying team.

What say you, optimists?

ihme (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 21:40
Omg look at this:

https://i.imgur.com/xd6YlH1.png

Myvatn (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 21:53
Quote:
j-s
Who's still genuinely optimistic about the FW42, and why?
Today's practice was an eye opener for me. I expected to be last but not 1.7s behind P18. A slow car with no spares. A team that's been in F1 for 40 years that couldn't allow its car to run over kerbs. It's absurd.

It's quite obvious to me that Williams is hanging by a thread. A team doesn't stumble out of the gate like this unless there is something seriously wrong. To me, the symptoms are of a dying team.

What say you, optimists?
I am still optimistic about the car’s potential, but I wonder if it will ever run properly. I find the whole lack of spares/no kerbs riding story really a worrying signal on the team’s financial situation.
If that is not the case and the team can run normally in the next few races, I think that the gap will be much smaller.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/03/2019 21:57 by Myvatn.

Myvatn (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 21:54
Quote:
ihme
Omg look at this:
?
Is this from Barcelona?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/03/2019 21:55 by Myvatn.

ihme (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 21:59
Quote:
Myvatn
Quote:
ihme
Omg look at this:
?
Is this from Barcelona?

No it's from today. In Spain we had a much slimmer opening.

ihme (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 22:13
Williams vs Merc (Sm40)

https://i.imgur.com/T2OBrnd.png

Damon96 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 22:13
We seemed to need a much more open rear now than in the past? What has changed, am I missing something? Not the best angle but the FW40 doesn’t look as open.

[www.motorsportimages.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/03/2019 22:14 by Damon96.

ihme (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 22:24
Yeah thats a beautiful rear on the FW40.

This 2019 rear is way too big, it's even bigger than last year and last year our colling was incredibly f*****.

Albi-Quin (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 22:34
It’s like a Kardashian’s @#$%&!

Current Page: 19 of 25

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net