Re: Future of Paddy Lowe thread
phatjack (IP Logged)
20 February, 2019 22:10
Quote:
Damon96
Quote:
Bond

UPDATE: Latest from Claire:
The difficulties that Williams has faced have prompted questions about the future of its technical chief Paddy Lowe. But Williams refused to comment on the situation.

"I've been reading a lot of speculation in the media recently about Paddy's position," she said.

"Right now, all I'm focused on, and all the team should be focused on is the car, and making sure the car is in the right place."

source: [www.autosport.com]

That isn't even the dreaded vote of confidence owners give football managers, that basically sounds like his number is up but they don't want to destabilise the engineering team any further while trying to get the car ready. She could have simply said the speculation is nonsense and we're confident that we will be competitive this season despite this delay.

I read your post and said to myself Claire isn't a leader. Here she had an opportunity to commend all those back at Grove that saved her @#$%& and what did she have to offer, "We're focused on the Car"?

Loser comes to mind.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 20/02/2019 22:12 by phatjack.

speed (IP Logged)
20 February, 2019 22:16
Like i said before, if Paddy leaves, he is not the problem. Championship winning TDs & engineers would have come and gone, so the problem is somewhere else - the top management that is not prepared to let go.

shriekback (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 00:37
Quote:
phatjack
Quote:
Damon96
Quote:
Bond

The difficulties that Williams has faced have prompted questions about the future of its technical chief Paddy Lowe. But Williams refused to comment on the situation.

"I've been reading a lot of speculation in the media recently about Paddy's position," she said.

"Right now, all I'm focused on, and all the team should be focused on is the car, and making sure the car is in the right place."

That isn't even the dreaded vote of confidence owners give football managers, that basically sounds like his number is up but they don't want to destabilise the engineering team any further while trying to get the car ready. She could have simply said the speculation is nonsense and we're confident that we will be competitive this season despite this delay.

I read your post and said to myself Claire isn't a leader. Here she had an opportunity to commend all those back at Grove that saved her @#$%& and what did she have to offer, "We're focused on the Car"?

Loser comes to mind.

I think this response is disrespectful and unfair.

Claire addressed the question honestly. She could have deflected from it instead by thanking the team for hard work rather than indicating her disposition toward Paddy and the job he has done overseeing development of the new car, but how would that be leadership? Though perhaps warranted response to another question, it would be mere b.s. in this instance.

If you think she did not in fact indicate her disposition toward Paddy--that she has not resolved herself one way or the other on it, focusing instead, for the present at least, on the more urgent business of getting a car to testing--read it again.

Personally, I think that is leadership. The best kind of leadership in fact--by example. If reports of dissatisfaction with Paddy among employees in the factory are true, she is indicating to them by her own example that right now is not the time to work them out. That time will come, but right now they have much more urgent business,

Lastly, calling the head of the team you are presumably here to support a "Loser" may allow you to vent your own feelings of inadequacy (i.e. your fear that you are a loser) by projecting them onto others who are almost certainly more capable and accomplished than you, But, like I said at the start, it's disrespectful and should not be undertaken by any genuine Williams fan.

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 01:21
Phat is not a Williams fan as far as I know. But he has the right to his opinion and this is a free forum. I think Claire is in a very difficult position at the mo and I feel for her.

I kind of feel that she should put it to her Dad that she is full principle or nothing. Deputy is pretty much nothing anyway. She just has to take all the flack.

Who is putting spanners in the works of making this thing happen?

I followed Williams because of the drivers mainly. Subsequently I have watched many docs on the team and many point to SFW as a man who cheated repeatedly on his long suffering late wife and is as far as I am concerned, an ego maniac at best. BPD more likely or worse.

I think Claire has far more character than that. The old man has to hand it over. But he won't because they never do. It's a waiting game. Sad.

maximilian72 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 01:51
Paddy's future should depend on car performance only. Late arrival - @#$%& happens.
Im sceptical regarding talent we have in aero and designer field. Too many years without a good car is the fact.

Bond (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 02:57
Quote:
phatjack

Loser comes to mind.

I read your post & said to everyone - takes one to know one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/02/2019 02:59 by Bond.

AlanJones (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 05:49
Quote:
phatjack
Quote:
Damon96
Quote:
Bond

Loser comes to mind.

She says about the same as Horner always does. Difference is that now we get to hear it by Claire. Normally you won't hear her pop up in the media that often.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

AlanJones (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 05:50
Quote:
Mikef1
I personally want Paddy to stay. Look at the obstacles he faces he's the technical director and one of the first things he wanted in the car was a CF gearbox and he felt very strongly about the cost and performance benefits. 2 cars later and someone is still overruling him over the first thing he wanted to put in place? Where is the real problem

Spot on

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

shriekback (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 07:23
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone
Phat is not a Williams fan as far as I know. But he has the right to his opinion and this is a free forum.

First, if Phat is not a Williams supporter, how welcome should he be made to feel when trashing the leadership of Williams on a board titled “Williams Supporters”? I would not expect to be exactly warmly embraced by others on a Mercedes forum were I to go there and take cheap shots at Toto Wolf.

Second, despite my question articulated above, who in any way silenced Phat? He(?) expressed his opinion and I expressed mine about his opinion. Why the reminder that this is a free board? Respect for free speech does not demand that no one challenge anyone else. Quite the opposite in fact. The basic premise of maintaining such a right is the idea (right or wrong) that the best response to flawed speech is more (not less) speech that might serve to correct it. Was Phat right to call Claire a loser or was I right to suggest that doing so was disrespectful, unwarranted, and likely merely reflective of his own projected insecurities? Well, you be the judge. But don’t appeal to the virtue of open discussion to tell me to keep my opinions to myself. That makes no sense at all.

Damon96 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 07:25
Quote:
AlanJones
Quote:
Mikef1
I personally want Paddy to stay. Look at the obstacles he faces he's the technical director and one of the first things he wanted in the car was a CF gearbox and he felt very strongly about the cost and performance benefits. 2 cars later and someone is still overruling him over the first thing he wanted to put in place? Where is the real problem

Spot on

So is it confirmed no CF gearbox? That is criminal if correct. As you say it was one of the first things identified as being a major weakness, was supposed to be here last year. I’d say the stubbornness of wanting to be seen as fully independent has overridden common sense. Everyone else has one, either in house or bought in. I don’t get the rationale of losing the ability to make our own box made us less attractive to manufacturers as we can’t seemingly make the thing anyway and the one car manufacturer we could have aligned with we ignored and is now seemingly doing well with RB/TR. You do wonder who made the gearbox call, was it Claire or was it SFW?

Mehryar (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 07:55
I think the reason of argument here is that some people like to point finger to one individual as the sole reason of our struggles.
I believe there are alot of things gathering to cause this.
Claire has her own share, as the team boss, if she fails to gather good stuff or if it was her choice to not go for Honda or Merc gearbox or even if she doesn't have the power of a boss but stays there...but on the same time she keeps our cars full of stickers in worst time and brings top names to our technical team.
Paddy has his own share too.He is responsible of the car performance and he was the guy to correct our internal working process but at the same time he's a proved quality elsewhere.

But Which one is more responsible? Imo that's Paddy at the end of the day.
Our team is run in an old school way still.Patrick Head was doing the job of 3-4 top technical men in other teams at Williams and that's what everybody moaned about the position of TD in Williams and clearly the problem is still there.The management, decision making, technical team division is remained outdated and Paddy Lowe's job was to come here and make it up to date with models he's seen Mclaren and Mercedes.He's failed so no matter if we bring back Patrick Head and instantly he makes us a top team again, as soon as such a guy leaves, the team will be torn apart again with its wrong & outdated structure.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

erratic (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 08:05
Patrick and Frank are a hard act to follow. Clearly they were head and shoulders above the competition in terms of their ability to put a car (Money side - Frank) on the track and the ability to innovate (Technological - Patrick).

Seems like Williams have tried to replicate that with Claire (Money) and Paddy (Technology). I am probably oversimplifying it, but it will need time for them to establish that partnership fully, let's hope they get that.

Paddy was involved in those glory days, from the bio on the Williams site...

"In 1987 he joined Williams as a Control Systems Engineer, based at that time in Didcot. He spent six years with Williams, during which time he oversaw the development of the active suspension used on the iconic FW14B and the FW15C, which led Nigel Mansell and Alain Prost to their World Championship successes in 1992 and 1993."

Mehryar (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 08:17
erratic, agreed on your story about Frank and Patrick but to replicate that with Claire & Paddy ? No way...Not that they're not good enough or other personalities can do, but because times have changed.Even young Frank & Patrick can't do it now.
And well, that was NOT the plan either to follow Frank/Patrick way of doing things.I can very well remember the times they brought in Paddy Lowe, the intention was to restructure how a team functions in modern days and to restructure our outdated technical process.That was the main plan...To follow up a trend of 20 years ago & expect to win again, that's impossible imo.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

erratic (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 08:22
Mehryar, agree with you that it is not possible to replicate. Teams are too big and complex now. Paddy is having to shape and mould the team to his liking, just like any new boss moving into a new job, bringing in his own choices for positions.

I hope it works, he is clearly a very talented engineer and Claire seems to be able to bring in the money.

Gunk (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 09:00
Quote:
Mehryar
the team will be torn apart again with its wrong & outdated structure.

I do believe this is the problem. There's quite a body of old timers who are resistant to change.

Nothing was late last year. But obviously Paddy has learned from last season and wants things done differently. In this, he hasn't had a lot of support, from above or below.

Look at all the vitriol Andrew Benson is throwing around. It clearly comes from disgruntled employees. 'We warned him but he wouldn't listen . . . blah blah.' I agree 100% with Ozzie, SFW should not be interfering. Yes,it's sad. He has nothing else in his life, no physical ability to be off on a yacht like Patrick. He will die on the old-fashioned gearbox workshop floor. And meanwhile, the company can't move on.

If you want to see the benefit of hands-off ownership, just look across at VJ's Force India.

IanSmithISA (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 09:33
Good morning,

Quote:
Gunk
...There's quite a body of old timers who are resistant to change....

Fairly recently I saw a piece on T.V. where Claire and an old timer were talking and the old timer said something to the effect of "I remember Claire when she was a little girl".

It wasn't quite condescending but nor was it as respectful as you might expect or require.

Clearly this was a one off event that might have been taken out of context by editing but it seems very believable. Especially if you see interviews with Claire and other team
principles, she still seems unsure that that she is an equal and is entitled to be in their company.

Bye

Ian

Bond (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 16:38
Quote:
AlanJones
Quote:
Mikef1

Spot on

Quite a different take on f1technical as those guys feel Paddy has gone on record as saying that he’s come around to the Williams view on this - that the potential benefits don’t outweigh the cost ie not much benefit actually gained with respects to cost.

Plus technically - the heat retained by CF could negate any weight saved by using it.

As Patrick Head said: "titanium is for people who can't design properly with aluminium". I guess his thoughts still shape the ethos of the team even now in some ways.

Gunk (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 19:20
Anyway, Claire is insisting there is no cisis at Williams and isn't going to discuss any dirty laundry in public.

'Telling tales out of school' always has been frowned on at Williams and I hope those bleating to Andrew Benson are reminded of this.

I do think it's very wrong for the Telegraph to come out with this stuff . . . people like Paddy and Pat have huge non-disclosure clauses in their contracts and can't say anything to defend themselves.

andy si (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 20:58
Quote:
Gunk
Anyway, Claire is insisting there is no cisis at Williams and isn't going to discuss any dirty laundry in public.
'Telling tales out of school' always has been frowned on at Williams and I hope those bleating to Andrew Benson are reminded of this.

I do think it's very wrong for the Telegraph to come out with this stuff . . . people like Paddy and Pat have huge non-disclosure clauses in their contracts and can't say anything to defend themselves.

thumbs down

I can't get my head around the fact that Lowe used to learn the ropes here and was an integral part of Williams for a while (working also on most brilliant technical part of Williams cars - active suspension) and some other top F1 teams for decades.. and here he gets pretty much nothing but slander and calls for lynching.

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
21 February, 2019 21:06
I often wonder if we ever pursued Honda at all. If there was anyone at Grove who would have shut that idea down it would have been SFW. I believe he still bears a serious grudge about losing them to Macca.

It looks so for like RBR are doing OK and they have all that exclusive attention and cash. We will see what the future brings but I still believe we should have chased that deal with everything we had, even if it was a long shot.

Maybe we did but there was never a whisper. I wonder what Paddy's view on that would be.

End of the day, we need to go into this season looking up, not falling apart.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net