2019 Bahrain Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Budgets
CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
19 February, 2019 15:33
How do we stack up these days? I'm guessing even alfa have a bigger budget if you consider help etc than us and Racing point too with stroll money. Is torro rosso or Haas running on more of a budget too? Are we now at the bottom which maybe explains our struggles?

Re: Budgets
Albi-Quin (IP Logged)
19 February, 2019 15:38
On Sky earlier saying Mercedes spent 450 million ( can’t remember if it was £or€) that was for all aspects. Car, engine and drive train........

EagleF1 (IP Logged)
19 February, 2019 15:45
In the last couple of years Toro Rosso, FI and Sauber have been about 20m-30m less than Williams. This year's Williams budget is about the same, whereas Toro Rosso has free engines and more Redbull support, Sauber is technically still Sauber but has $50m+ additional funding as well as more Ferarri parts. No idea how much Mr Stroll is putting in but safe to say money is no longer an issue (and they have Sport Pesa too).

Our budget/support must be the lowest now and next year we won't have Stroll money.

AlanJones (IP Logged)
19 February, 2019 15:50
If we have the lowest budget, then it shows exactly what is wrong with F1. We were estimated at a budget of about 130 million quid?
Bring in the budget cap.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

Polemik (IP Logged)
19 February, 2019 17:24
Quote:
AlanJones
If we have the lowest budget, then it shows exactly what is wrong with F1. We were estimated at a budget of about 130 million quid?
Bring in the budget cap.

Exactly !!
I personally call for the budget cap in F1 for years !
Because it is obvious, that car manufacturers and rich people as team owners are destroying us with their big money !

Unfortunately, we have to endure for at least 2 years (if Liberty fulfills her promise).

Fingers crossed !

EagleF1 (IP Logged)
19 February, 2019 17:56
I actually think Toro Rosso will technically have the lowest budget, although the amount they spend might be a bit lower than Williams yet they also have free engines and lots of RedBull parts and technical support.

Williams model is outdated, they need a budget cap or closer ties with Mercedes.

Andrew Hooper (IP Logged)
20 February, 2019 03:03
I would think that this year with Russell's arrival we are most likely getting discounts on our Mercedes engines. Not as good as free but still helps.

We also still have some fairly substantial sponsors on board but at the end of the day compare to Mercedes and Ferrari we are tiny.

Also just bear in mind that even though Mercedes have a budget was a certain amount I would imagine that a lot of their spending can be hidden in other divisions of Mercedes.

Totally agree with the concept of a budget cap if only for the reason that F1 is just so expensive that finding funding through sponsors if so difficult. That's why we see teams like McLaren going back to the easy money that comes from the tobacco industry.

But if we don't have a budget cap there simply will see a competitive F1 disappear, if it hasn't done so already, along with most of the smaller teams.

Also the payments structure should be looked at. I can't understand why Ferrari gets a huge pot of money simply for turning up.

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
20 February, 2019 19:52
A few of us have argued for the cap for years on here. Unfortunately Max got caught with his trousers down shortly before pushing it through (so to speak).

F1 has never been a level playing field and sometimes certain teams have dominated (including us) but you always knew that at some point that would change. I get the feeling now that we are stuck in this game of 3 big spenders, several 'B' teams who won't be allowed to win and a few struggling independents. It's kind of depressing.

At the other end of the scale you have FE. Very similar cars and different winners all the time. Is that a great thing? The guy who won last week is last on the grid next time. I am not sure.

There has to be a balance somewhere and F1 has certainly not found it but neither should we go to standard cars as in F2. I don't like the idea of weight penalties etc. as I see that as a punishment for doing well.

Myvatn (IP Logged)
20 February, 2019 20:02
I don’t think we have the lowest budget - but Haas, Toro Rosso and now Sauber and Force India are B-teams and this is now a mire efficient way of operating in F1.

j-s (IP Logged)
20 February, 2019 21:02
I would like a budget cap but I think it'll never happen. Top teams will not give up their advantage. Why should they? If Williams were flush with cash ATM they'd probably be against it too. I don't know how Liberty could push through such and agreement.

Anderis (IP Logged)
20 February, 2019 21:11
If we, with a decent title sponsor (reportedly a bigger deal than the previous one), historic FOM bonus payment, with one race driver who brings sponsorship, another engine discount and a reserve driver loaded with sponsors, are having the lowest budget on the grid, then it means the grid is doing pretty damn good financially. I never thought this was a possibility, but now Sauber has Alfa Romeo backing, Haas is getting decent prize money for last season + a title sponsor, Racing Point has Stroll's + Mexican money and if Toro Rosso has any benefits from Honda, it's maybe not impossible we have the least cash after finishing 10th last year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net