Current Page: 38 of 42

Re: 2nd Test. 2019.
Gwanni (IP Logged)
01 March, 2019 16:51
not sure what to say..

Andrew Hooper (IP Logged)
01 March, 2019 16:53
Yes that is pretty well the end of testing. Next stop Australia. I am not even going to take a guess as to where Williams will be in terms of times. But still I am looking forward to the first race of the season.

dot_com (IP Logged)
01 March, 2019 16:54
Quote:
Gwanni
not sure what to say..

It’s going to be a long year...

Niedzwiedz (IP Logged)
01 March, 2019 16:55
Quote:
Andrew Hooper
Yes that is pretty well the end of testing. Next stop Australia. I am not even going to take a guess as to where Williams will be in terms of times. But still I am looking forward to the first race of the season.

Exactly, lets hope they will use the remaining time to its fullest. 2 weeks of hard work in factory on CFD computing and simulator and maybe thanks to all the data we collected on those few days we manage to close the gap made by late arrival in Barcelona.

Gwanni (IP Logged)
01 March, 2019 16:56
yes Australia will unveil all the masks. Still looking forward for this start of the season.

williams4284 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2019 17:56
when it started like this for us, it never ended well.

How I miss the end of 2014 testing when we had the best time out of everyone. Seems so long ago.

It's really showing that the axing of Pat Symonds was suicidal.

Vancha (IP Logged)
01 March, 2019 17:58
Paddy Lowe, Chief Technical Officer: For the final day of the pre-season testing we planned an ambitious programme to mirror George’s from yesterday. This involved more data gathering in the early cool track conditions which we achieved very well, followed by some performance experiments and a qualifying simulation before lunch. The long running in the afternoon was unfortunately brought to a halt because a number of critical bodywork parts had reached a stage of degradation that meant that we were no longer learning useful information from the car nor indeed for Robert. So we decided to switch our time to those final race procedural practices (starts, pit stops etc.) that we need to do before Australia.

Having arrived late to the testing, our reliability during the running itself has been incredibly high. Up until today we were on track to complete our originally intended mileage and to consume all available tyre sets. But today this car has become ultimately too tired to continue. In the interest of saving our resources for the important racing in Australia we felt it was right to change the plan. In general, the car is not as its best and this has affected our performance most particularly this morning with Robert in the qualifying simulation and to some extent with George yesterday.

This is an important moment as we finish the pre-season testing to acknowledge the huge effort that has been put in by everybody to design, manufacture and operate this car. The car build and testing itself has required an extremely intense period of more than three weeks working 24x7 by the trackside team. What we have achieved despite our huge challenges is remarkable; well done to the whole team.

--

Robert Kubica: It is a pity to end testing with a difficult day before we head to the first race. Out of the runs that we did, we managed to learn some things, but it hasn’t given me the level of confidence that I would have liked ahead of Australia. It wasn’t the day that I was hoping for after the delay to the start of testing, but you have to take the positives out of these difficult situations.

ihme (IP Logged)
01 March, 2019 18:31
But today this car has become ultimately too tired to continue. In the interest of saving our resources for the important racing in Australia we felt it was right to change the plan. In general, the car is not as its best and this has affected our performance most particularly this morning with Robert in the qualifying simulation and to some extent with George yesterday.

What the...

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2019 18:36
Quote:
ihme
But today this car has become ultimately too tired to continue. In the interest of saving our resources for the important racing in Australia we felt it was right to change the plan. In general, the car is not as its best and this has affected our performance most particularly this morning with Robert in the qualifying simulation and to some extent with George yesterday.

What the...

Not unusual for carbon fibre parts

GPL (IP Logged)
01 March, 2019 18:42
I feel so sad for the team they have worked so hard to get this car to track and
this is what we got.

Can you imagine the race team, what have they got to look forward to this year again.

Paddy has no more idea than ed Wood on how to design a competitive car these days.

Going to be a long ol season guys.

GPL (IP Logged)
01 March, 2019 18:46
''RK: This day didn't go as planned.''

''RK: The car was far from being optimal. The natural consequence of last week. During tests I did maybe 20% of what I should have done. For me this test ended on Wednesday."

"RK: I didn't make more than 15 constant laps. We took maximum from what we have. On Wednesday I gained some certainty, but now it's gone. It's better to have problems now than during races, but we have to draw conclusions".

"RK: It's hard to tell if you made step forward when you just wait in the garage or drive the car not in the right configuration. Firstly we have to fix the problems we have, then think about the pace"

Anderis (IP Logged)
01 March, 2019 18:55
Does anyone think we may be even further back than last year?

GPL (IP Logged)
01 March, 2019 19:00
It could be worse yes, because all the other teams have made good progress

we have major problems again who knows when they will get on top of it, and
all the time the other teams are pushing forward,
while we are scratching our heads.

j-s (IP Logged)
01 March, 2019 19:02
"Too tired to continue"!?!?

That's a first! No doubt the weirdest thing I've ever read in a Williams press release. And perhaps the most depressing too. TOO TIRED! LOL. Sigh... SMH.

Oh boy... This will probably be a VERY tough year. I think the team will convulse and heads will roll soon. The narrative around the team will be so negative. The word "survival" will be mentioned, and often. I dread it.

I can't remember a worse time than today. Honestly. Things look bleak AF.

Come on Williams! You can do it!

ihme (IP Logged)
01 March, 2019 19:05
KUB about his wednesday afternoon long run when the car was in its proper configuration: "I was really positively surprised what the car could do. It was a really nice run"

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2019 19:18
So as some of you may not know. Carbon fibre components have a very short car life. Stuff like suspension is replaced every 3 races max. Some top teams probably replace them every race. Everything on the car gets weaker as it's subject to tremendous g forces and the whole car loses rigidity and aerodynamic performance, it's tyre wear starts to suffer. The car has done way over optimum mileage for it's parts. It's game over for most of the components used at the test. The likelihood is the team didn't bring 2 sets of anything because of the delays and to ensure we arrive at Australia with enough and a spare set. By race 2 or 3 this wouldn't be a problem as updates would render many parts obsolete anyway.

It's not ideal but it's not a Williams specific thing, it's just normal carbon fibre attrition. I feel bad for Robert and his fans but it's Dan right dangerous to run old CF. Toro Rosso 2010 comes to mind in China and likely vettel suspension failure a few days ago too

ihme (IP Logged)
01 March, 2019 19:25
So Mike, had we started testing on the day 1 last week, would we be out of running for the last 3 days of the 2nd test anyway?

edit: or it wouldnt happen because we would not compress our running so much and we would do less mileage each day?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2019 19:27 by ihme.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2019 19:39
Quote:
ihme
So Mike, had we started testing on the day 1 last week, would we be out of running for the last 3 days of the 2nd test anyway?
edit: or it wouldnt happen because we would not compress our running so much and we would do less mileage each day?

Well if the team had hit the track on Monday it would have had a whole week to bring the spare parts which is achievable. So on say Wednesday the car on track would have had fresh suspension, wing etc etc. If they didn't have spare components then yes the car wouldn't be on track any more beyond Wednesday.

Interesting in Paddys statement that the wear on the components was enough to impact Russells runs too. I am ever an optimist and that suggests there are tenths to find just in optimal car parts alone.

I also had a chat with a guy who suggested that Williams' rear wing end plates were rushed out of the factory and not representative of what would be run in Australia because it would take days to add the additional aero they probably have planned in that area. Now this guy knows nothing inside info wise but his theory is sound and certainly a very likely scenario.

Bond (IP Logged)
01 March, 2019 19:39
Quote:
GPL
''RK: This day didn't go as planned.''
''RK: The car was far from being optimal. The natural consequence of last week. During tests I did maybe 20% of what I should have done. For me this test ended on Wednesday."

"RK: I didn't make more than 15 constant laps. We took maximum from what we have. On Wednesday I gained some certainty, but now it's gone. It's better to have problems now than during races, but we have to draw conclusions".

"RK: It's hard to tell if you made step forward when you just wait in the garage or drive the car not in the right configuration. Firstly we have to fix the problems we have, then think about the pace"

The design & manufacturing delays put us 3 days behind out of 8 - if you include for lacking replacement parts for today.

Ultimately, we are ill-prepared to start the season but by no means is the season a lost.
Not by a long shot.

Bond (IP Logged)
01 March, 2019 19:48
Quote:
shriekback
Quote:
Andrew Hooper
In today's F1 outside the top three or four teams it is totally unrealistic to have an expectation of a podium let alone a race win...
But does that mean I am going to switch camps. Hell NO.

Cheers to this!

How much fun could it be to support a team with a massive advantage based almost solely on superior resources anyway? Even when they do win, they really have only effectively beaten two, maybe three, other teams in a fair fight. Big deal!

If the big three/four want to really impress and have just cause for celebration, stop resisting changes to level the field and still beat the likes of Williams, McLaren or Racing Point (though I am an American, I can't really credit Haas as being a genuine F1 team since they don't really build their own chassis, and I obviously exclude those who accept a mere support function-- "B" squads like Torro Rosso or Alpha Romeo).

Yank here too.
Ditto to this & Andrew's comments.
This team will be closer to the front of the midfield than bringing up the rear in 2019 at 1/4th the budget of the big 4.

** The railings are always unattended if people want to jump ship.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2019 19:51 by Bond.

Current Page: 38 of 42

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net