Latest News:

2019 Monaco Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: How Are You All Watching F1 This Year?
Mr Brooksy (IP Logged)
05 March, 2019 05:25
I'll be looking for other options as Foxtel in Australia is a joke. No way I'm paying what they ask for 1 sport I want to watch. I would only use a tiny part of the TV chanel for something like F1 but at upwards of $30 a month it's simply not worth it! I've got way more important things to do in life than waste it watching mindless TV reality, soaps and the other pointless rot available.

If Australia were to get F1TV I'd jump at it. But we don't, so I won't.

Williams-123 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2019 06:55
Quote:
Mr Brooksy
I'll be looking for other options as Foxtel in Australia is a joke. No way I'm paying what they ask for 1 sport I want to watch. I would only use a tiny part of the TV chanel for something like F1 but at upwards of $30 a month it's simply not worth it! I've got way more important things to do in life than waste it watching mindless TV reality, soaps and the other pointless rot available.

Foxtel is very good I like it and I don't mind paying $30 or $40 a month to have guaranteed live F1 coverage for every single race,...I don't know why some people complain about Foxtel, $30 or $40 a month is nothing, it's chicken feed.

Bloody cheapskates are the only ones who dislike Foxtel (Sm145)

Williams-123 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2019 07:03
You pay for a service with Foxtel and that is what you get, come on guys it is less than $10 a week, whoopty do, there is no problem with paying less than $10 a week.

Mr Brooksy (IP Logged)
05 March, 2019 07:25
Quote:
Williams-123
Quote:
Mr Brooksy

Foxtel is very good I like it and I don't mind paying $30 or $40 a month to have guaranteed live F1 coverage for every single race,...I don't know why some people complain about Foxtel, $30 or $40 a month is nothing, it's chicken feed.

Bloody cheapskates are the only ones who dislike Foxtel (Sm145)

It might seem like I'm being a cheap skate, but I work for a not for profit, training and supporting people who work with some of the most neglected and difficult young people in the world. I raise my own income and travel costs... Which is VERY hard as Gov money is not an option.

$10 a week for 1 sport at 21 races a year when I have the time... That's not a good use of my funds.

05 March, 2019 08:58
If I went to sky the tv is 25 a month 10 to watch F1 I don't want the other channels if you want to pay Murdoch carry on I don't

100% Williams
WILL SUPPORT WILLIAMS AS LONG AS THEY HAVE A TEAM

EagleF1 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2019 09:04
Now TV sports day passes, hoping they bring back the season ticket.

j-s (IP Logged)
05 March, 2019 15:46
Quote:
Niedzwiedz
F1TV Pro for me. I watched 1 week of testing. It was pretty good. 720p I guess, not to much, but easier to stream. Some guys in Poland said that at the end of the season F1 TV was working way better than in the beggining.

I might try it out. Its either that or going to one of those shady streaming sites with endless popups. Eeek.

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
05 March, 2019 17:27
I suppose the question is whether it's worth it. Do we have a God given right to free to air F1? Not sure. In the UK, we have a version of it at the mo. It's a bit like MotoGP. I can watch it live now but last year was quiet happy with the highlights package as it's not something that is so important to me.

The thing is, in the UK we have gone from some sort of vague highlights on Grandstand or whatever to live coverage but no in depth stuff to now some really excellent production quality. Personally I am happy to pay for the full deal including all the other F2, F3 and so on. It makes me happy. Other people like a 10k package holiday. I would rather rough it if I want to travel and see places.

I think there would be a market for a budget package which was maybe just the race and no more. Personally I have got to an age where I just like to indulge.

j-s (IP Logged)
05 March, 2019 18:31
Smaller ratings for TV in general and F1 in particular (compared to their peak).

Advertisers migrating their ad spend to digital platforms from traditional media.

The capacity to provide content directly to audiences through subscription services.

It all makes "free to air F1" a thing of the past.

- - -

I pay about US$10 a month for NBA League pass. 1,230 regular season games, live and in replay, plus playoffs. Usually channels available in English, Spanish, Cantonese, Korean, etc... Works like a charm, even in Guatemala. I'd probably pay double for it (don't tell them).

In the end, it's about perceived value. I gladly pay for NBA. I don't for F1. Says a lot.

dot_com (IP Logged)
05 March, 2019 22:35
Honestly I don’t mind paying for F1 coverage. Even when I lived in the UK and it was “free”, you were still paying for either by consuming a load of advertising every 30 minutes, or paying for a TV license. I’m happy to pay less $10 per month for F1TV - I think that’s a really reasonable cost for that much content.

SydneyF1Fan (IP Logged)
06 March, 2019 02:37
Quote:
SehnKhan
I'll be streaming my races via Kayo Sports in HD in Australia. Essentially the sports only live streaming service of Foxtel for $25 a month.

Yes, I was going to try Kayo out too at only $25/month rather than $50/month for Foxtel. Whitey - you may want to look into this too:

[kayosports.com.au]

A few friends have tried it and said it's OK, so I'm going to free trial it on F1 this weekend and compare to Foxtel.

I've had Foxtel suspended over the F1 off season and no one in the house has even noticed or complained. They only watch NetFlix or FTA TV - Foxtel is a dead duck.

Kayo is supported by Telstra, which owns 35% of FoxSports (other 65% is News Corp):

[www.telstra.com.au]

I'm not sure of the background, my guess is that Kayo was set up by News/Telstra in the face of falling Foxtel subscriptions as a way of streaming sports content under another brand before they lose market share to other streaming services. I haven't seen Kayo heavily promoted yet, so I presume they're introducing it slowly without cutting into Foxtel subscriptions too soon.

Being able to watch races on mobile or laptop away from cabled TV will be a bonus too.

Anyone got feedback on Kayo? Any reason for keeping Foxtel service, eg. iQ recording/playback? Buffering or unreliable streaming? Based on comments it appears the service was a bit hit and miss when initially launched, but is becoming more reliable now.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

Gunk (IP Logged)
06 March, 2019 08:01
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone
I suppose the question is whether it's worth it. Do we have a God given right to free to air F1? Not sure.

Good question. Everyone has a price barrier. Where that is depends on your circumstances. And it's always annoying to pay for something you can remember getting for free. From Racefans net:

When Hamilton won his first world championship in the 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix, 8.9 million people watched the free-to-air broadcast live in the UK. Last yearjust 1.28 millionsaw the live coverage of his fifth world title win on Pay-TV.

Clearly, a lot of people don't think it's worth it. Hamilton comments:

I do understand because its bloody expensive nowadays with everything you have in a home with all your insurance and all the things you do end up paying and then on top of it youve got to pay for TV, and for a TV licence, its ridiculous. So I can understand it.

Sure. And in TV subscription terms, compared to Netflix or Prime, it isn't very good value. The problem with Sky is that it's an add on cost, like almost everything else. You can watch more stuff on the net, and in HD, than you can on your Sky box. Sky versions of Spotify or iPlayer etc are dumbed down and in SD if you don't have the extra package.

Compared to Sky, the official F1 app seems very reasonable, although you will need a VPN program to hide your UK IP address.

Andrew Hooper (IP Logged)
06 March, 2019 09:58
I use Kayo and it is great as if you are only interested in Sport that is what it delivers from F1, MotoGP, V8 Supercars, EPl, and so on..

Plus I would not sign up for a Foxtel account as my experience with them has been nothing but negative. Like how they change plans without you having any control over it inevitably costing you more.

But I do tend to go for subscriptions such as the WRC All Live service which is really great value.

At least I will be able to watch the F1 this year as a few months ago I thought it wasn't going to happen.

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
06 March, 2019 16:30
I think ultimately all these 'legacy' TV deals will go and we'll be able to consume whatever media we like, when we like. MotoGP already do this. My only problem is broadband speed.

At the moment thought I'm fairly satisfied with what I'm paying. It's really only an hours work a week to pay for it and that gets me any channel I like, mostly in HD. Loads of recording space on the Sky Q box and as much motorsport as I can watch in my time off. Plus I like Sky Cinema too, it's far better than it used to be.

I can see why a free to air service with just live races like we used to have on the BBC would appeal but for me, I'm happy to pay for what is really a superb service.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net