Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How Are You All Watching F1 This Year?
Gunk (IP Logged)
04 March, 2019 06:31
This is a very international board. So I guess this question is mostly for UK posters. The UK faces its 'free to air' blackout. Either fork out Sky's exorbitant fees or forget it. Or maybe you have a local 'Sky' pub that's F1 friendly? Or perhaps you have found one of the last rogue net channels that still works?

I'd like to know if any of you are watching using the official F1 stream . . . with or without a VPN. If you are able to watch a local broadcaster in Italy, Belgium or wherever. And whether you really care if you get the whole build-up show and chat in your language.

Me, I just want to see the race.

Re: How Are You All Watching F1 This Year?
IanSmithISA (IP Logged)
04 March, 2019 06:55
Good morning,

Last year Channel 4's highlights show was sufficiently long that what was lost of the race was pretty hard to notice.

If this year's programs are as long then I won't miss live coverage that much, I always skipped the pre and post race items as they seemed to be more about the presenters' ego than providing useful information and for me Steve Jones as the anchor has gotten more annoying not less.

As C4 used to cover the live race without any advertising I was always unsure how long they could afford this, highlights had adverts that could be skipped over as long as you waited a bit and recorded the program.

The only downside is the delay may shift some coverage into too late at night.

Sky's coverage is out of the question for me as it would entail getting Sky as I don't have or want it for anything else and I don't have the internet capacity to stream.

A lot of new good TV shows are now made as serials and I prefer to wait for the box set, I have just watched Star Trek Discovery and the stories only really make sense on the second watching as later episodes significantly alter the story that you thought was being told in the earlier episode.

I do know of a pub that may have it, but I am not a fan of TVs in pubs and I suspect that rugby or football will take precedence over many of the races.

Bye

Ian

AlanJones (IP Logged)
04 March, 2019 08:04
In the Netherlands all sessions are being broadcast by Ziggo. Ziggo is a semi payTV provider. I am not bothering you all with the how or what this works. But it doesnt offer an online stream without the Ziggo app you can use if you are a Ziggo customer.

Im quite interested in the new F1 platform that Liberty has launched. Ill be buying myself this if and when all the early bugs will be gone.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

Williams-123 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2019 10:22
I will be watching every race live on Foxtel in Australia...Life is good...(Sm129)

Williams-123 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2019 10:25
F1 coverage on Foxtel = Awesome thumbs down

CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2019 10:31
Sky for me. But we are on an old old deal that when you got the HD channels sky F1 came with it. They keep on trying to get us to change to a new package where sky F1 is extra. We not budging.

andy si (IP Logged)
04 March, 2019 12:13
... with interest! Hope there is local coverage again this year.

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
04 March, 2019 12:48
Like Cloverleaf I am on the old Sky HD which came with F1. They are also trying to get me to 'upgrade' all the time with offers on Sky Sports but I refuse. I used to think Sky was expensive but now when I consider that I can get my phone, broadband and as much TV and motorsport as I care to watch for the cost of 4 or 5 pints a week, it doesn't seem so bad.

I also skip most of the pre-race build up. But I also follow a lot of junior formula stuff and can now watch pretty much all of it in my own time.

F2 looks very interesting this year.

dot_com (IP Logged)
04 March, 2019 15:50
I am a Brit, and used to be spoiled by the free coverage of F1 on ITV and then BBC. I moved to the USA about 12 years ago and it’s been pretty much a constant challenge to get good coverage. I’ve used several different VPN’s with varying success, P2P downloads, Slingbox from my parents house in the UK, Speed Channel... Last year I watched a few races on F1TV Pro and it was good - the commentary cut out a few times, but sometimes that’s a good thing with Crofty on the mic :-) This year I think I’ll sign up for the year. $80 doesn’t seem too bad compared to other options, and I love that I get the commentary crew that I’m used to. These days I usually skip over the pre-race stuff and switch off after the podium - my “free-time” is somewhat limited! So I don’t suppose I’ll get to watch any of the archive races, but it’s nice to know it’s there if I have a free evening. I’m really hoping they bring out the Apple TV app for F1TV, which will definitely make it even better value.

speed (IP Logged)
04 March, 2019 16:13
Thanks dot_com. Moving to USA in '17 I have had no coverage but considering the F1 Pro while hoping for a wonderful fight up front. Was hoping Williams would be mixing it high in the mid-field but those hopes seem to have dashed lately.

dot_com (IP Logged)
04 March, 2019 16:37
Quote:
speed
Thanks dot_com. Moving to USA in '17 I have had no coverage but considering the F1 Pro while hoping for a wonderful fight up front. Was hoping Williams would be mixing it high in the mid-field but those hopes seem to have dashed lately.

It’s been really hard watching this past couple of years - Williams’ success and their driver line-up certainly directly impacts my enjoyment of F1. I would recommend F1TV pro. I’ve been watching using the desktop app on my laptop and then just hdmi that into my TV. It works well. It’s HD and it’s the British commentary, and it’s nice to not have to worry about where/how/if I’m going to watch the race live every other week.

Did you move to the US from the UK? I’m from Kent, and now I’m In PA.

SehnKhan (IP Logged)
04 March, 2019 17:15
I'll be streaming my races via Kayo Sports in HD in Australia. Essentially the sports only live streaming service of Foxtel for $25 a month.

speed (IP Logged)
04 March, 2019 17:42
Quote:
dot_com
Did you move to the US from the UK? I’m from Kent, and now I’m In PA.

Moved from India. Watched 0 races in '18 as TV is too expensive, and couldn't find any reliable streams, so the F1 Pro option seemed quite good.

phatjack (IP Logged)
04 March, 2019 18:57
In Canada it's a part of my cable package. It was a time before TSN secured 4 other cable channel's that I would only tune in for the race. Now because they can shift sporting events I get to enjoy the pre-race, race and post-race coverage SKY has to offer.

04 March, 2019 19:10
There are ways and means to watch it as I won't pay Sky simples

100% Williams
WILL SUPPORT WILLIAMS AS LONG AS THEY HAVE A TEAM

phatjack (IP Logged)
04 March, 2019 19:40
I don't get it, <me is an old fart> do you work for free? In this Internet of Things people have come to think things should be free. Help me understand why?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2019 20:11 by phatjack.

speed (IP Logged)
04 March, 2019 20:18
What part did you not get? That everyone is looking for a good deal or what they think is a good deal? F1 was free to air but someone's greed put it behind a pay wall in most countries or on a premium channel. Now if that channel interested me on a whole I might be willing to take the package it comes in and pay an extra $20-40/month, but it doesn't. So I am not willing to pay that much just to watch F1 produce some boring races.

Meanwhile $100/season sounds reasonable so I might just take it, with the hope that it will be an interesting season with 3 teams fighting at the top. Besides 2010 & 2012, this decade has been quite boring overall.

PS: $100/yr only because I now live & earn in US. I wouldn't pay that much if I was still in India.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2019 20:19 by speed.

phatjack (IP Logged)
04 March, 2019 20:44
Quote:
speed
What part did you not get? That everyone is looking for a good deal or what they think is a good deal? F1 was free to air but someone's greed put it behind a pay wall in most countries or on a premium channel. Now if that channel interested me on a whole I might be willing to take the package it comes in and pay an extra $20-40/month, but it doesn't. So I am not willing to pay that much just to watch F1 produce some boring races.
Meanwhile $100/season sounds reasonable so I might just take it, with the hope that it will be an interesting season with 3 teams fighting at the top. Besides 2010 & 2012, this decade has been quite boring overall.

PS: $100/yr only because I now live & earn in US. I wouldn't pay that much if I was still in India.

I certainly understand a good deal, but I don't live in England. Perhaps you can enlighten me because you live in the US and you earn more?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2019 20:58 by phatjack.

j-s (IP Logged)
04 March, 2019 22:53
Races used to be on basic cable here... not anymore I think. So I might get the app. What's the verdict on that? Does it work OK? I heard they had some teething problems with it last year.

Niedzwiedz (IP Logged)
05 March, 2019 00:37
F1TV Pro for me. I watched 1 week of testing. It was pretty good. 720p I guess, not to much, but easier to stream. Some guys in Poland said that at the end of the season F1 TV was working way better than in the beggining.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net