Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Poll: Who should step down?
shriekback (IP Logged)
07 March, 2019 21:36
Quote:
speed
link??

Perhaps this is it: [www.omologatowatches.com]

It's a good read in that it takes at least one clear stand: Claire, and those she has surrounded herself with at the top of Williams, are at fault. She, Windsor is keen for us to understand, is not a "real racer." The lost opportunity that could have spelled different fortunes over the past few years is that her older brother Jonny was not appointed DP instead. Jonny is a "real racer," you see. He "invested in" (whatever that means) in a successful F2 team, after all--an effort to prove to Frank that he could do the job when the latter retired.

Windsor is clear that he does not blame Frank for the team's declining fortunes, but who does he think appointed Claire and not Jonny? He indicates that the motives for that appointment were not those proper to "real racers" (again this odd, unexplained, notion that nevertheless bears the weight of his entire case), but that means Frank had the wrong motives (despite himself being a "real racer") because the appointment was his to make. If that was indeed the golden opportunity missed, the mistake was no one's but Frank's.

I am sure that there is genuine insight somewhere in Windsor's take--perhaps Jonny's appointment as DP would have yielded better results than have Claire's--but his presentation of them is rather incoherent.

It is clear that he wishes to defend Paddy Lowe--so someone else must be at fault for the failure for which he is apparently taking the brunt in his anticipated departure from the team. Windsor seems to think that Paddy's failure to produce a competitive car was really just an effect of having not put him in charge of the team. But why would he blame Claire for that? Claire's failing was that she did not cede her position to Paddy? How could anyone expect her to do that?

In the end, unless I am somehow misreading things (I can do that, as I have demonstrated previously on this board), his case really makes little sense, and what genuine insights he might have into the situation at Williams are not rendered clear in this article.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2019 21:38 by shriekback.

ihme (IP Logged)
07 March, 2019 21:53
I dont take most of what Windsor is saying nowadays very seriously. He has an obvious bias for cerain people and it's hard to take him seriously because of is.

phatjack (IP Logged)
07 March, 2019 22:05
Windsor has a soft spot for Frank and I can't say I blame him, considering what they went through together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2019 22:05 by phatjack.

Williams-123 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2019 00:03
Quote:
Gunk
Quote:
Williams-123
Its amazing I reckon we go back about 14 years...unbelievable.

Sure. Hard to believe. And you're still only 14.

No need for that Gunky boy (Sm102)

Stu69 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2019 09:21
Which ever way you look at this the issue and the culture starts at the very top. What worked in 1970 and 80 doesn’t work today. Massive change needed not the pseudo papering over things and blaming the last guy that has happened over the last few years. It’s not easy to say or think but it’s the case.

I wonder when Toto will get bored at Merc and want more! Williams Wolf F1. Nice ring to it!

Albi-Quin (IP Logged)
08 March, 2019 09:23
Beware of wolf’s in sheep’s clothing!

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
08 March, 2019 10:36
I agree with Shriekback. If Claire is a mistake then it is not her mistake, it is SFW. If Paddy was a mistake, who made the final call on his hiring? The deputy? Or the boss?

We have no idea how Jonny would have done. He has been involved in some successful projects but did he run them from the top or was he just the money?

My own view is that Claire is a good PR face for the team (and I don't mean anything sexist in that) and she seems to have had really good success in bringing in sponsors and also has hired some top people. We really don't know much more than that but I doubt she is the problem here. Most of those people seem to have left under a cloud. Why?

Windsor does imply that there are people on the board who are more interested in lining their own pockets than racing. If this is the case and they cannot be removed, the team is screwed.

Also, if Jonny is such a 'pure racer' and natural leader why has taken a back seat and is now running a museum? What would his father have done in the same position? I'll tell you what. He would have started another team and beat the one he didn't get handed to him on a plate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2019 10:36 by Ozzy Osbone.

George Orwell (IP Logged)
13 March, 2019 23:24
Bernie Ecclestone says (both) Williams (and McLaren) need new management.

The once-great F1 teams are now struggling, and former F1 supremo Ecclestone thinks the problem is the people in charge.
"They are no longer in the hands of super competitive men like Ron Dennis and Frank Williams," he told Corriere della Sera.
To come back strong, they have to find another Ron and another Frank."
Today, Zak Brown leads McLaren, while Frank Williams' daughter Claire is in charge at Williams.

Andrew Hooper (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 00:24
I thought we were sort of over this. But how can you say that Claire is not super competitive. On top of that Bernie should just fade away into the sunset.

He pretty well set up a model that saw F1 where it is today with budgets out of control, a payment package that sees Ferrari get a huge amount of money just for turning up.

George Orwell (IP Logged)
24 March, 2019 13:24
"Williams being run with fear and terror says Ralf Schumacher"

Ralf Schumacher, who won all six of his F1 victories with the British team, thinks the problem at Williams could be its management.

He told Germany's motorsport-total.com that the struggling Oxfordshire based outfit currently is being is run with "fear and terror". Schumacher, 43, said it was the same as when Sir Frank Williams ran the team alone in the 70s.

"Williams has a very special leadership style. As long as Patrick Head was there it was balanced," he said.

"It's a style of leadership from the 70s and 80s, a bit of a reign of fear and terror. It's a shame, because I think people need to be motivated."

Head, though, has long retired, and the team is now run by Sir Frank's daughter Claire.

"With the current structure, Williams cannot get the best out of its employees, because there is no team cohesion," Schumacher said. "The engineers are working against each other more than with each other.

"Unfortunately, Claire has kept her father's habits, and she should certainly wonder if that is the right job for her. Perhaps Williams' team management needs to be restructured," he added.

"A man (Paddy Lowe) who has just been fired was very successful at other teams, and even he failed to put Williams back on track. That's enough to start asking questions," said Ralf.

Mehryar (IP Logged)
24 March, 2019 15:01
Though his words make abit of sense regarding Paddy, the title reminds me of that Ferrari guy telling the same about them and suddenly a few weeks after, Ferrari started the season winning races and making a good gap.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

phatjack (IP Logged)
24 March, 2019 17:04
Quote:
George Orwell
"Williams being run with fear and terror says Ralf Schumacher"

Ralf Schumacher, who won all six of his F1 victories with the British team, thinks the problem at Williams could be its management.

He told Germany's motorsport-total.com that the struggling Oxfordshire based outfit currently is being is run with "fear and terror". Schumacher, 43, said it was the same as when Sir Frank Williams ran the team alone in the 70s.

"Williams has a very special leadership style. As long as Patrick Head was there it was balanced," he said.

"It's a style of leadership from the 70s and 80s, a bit of a reign of fear and terror. It's a shame, because I think people need to be motivated."

Head, though, has long retired, and the team is now run by Sir Frank's daughter Claire.

"With the current structure, Williams cannot get the best out of its employees, because there is no team cohesion," Schumacher said. "The engineers are working against each other more than with each other.

"Unfortunately, Claire has kept her father's habits, and she should certainly wonder if that is the right job for her. Perhaps Williams' team management needs to be restructured," he added.

"A man (Paddy Lowe) who has just been fired was very successful at other teams, and even he failed to put Williams back on track. That's enough to start asking questions," said Ralf.

To quote my lady friend, "Behind every Man is a better Woman" ... that read to her like "Penis Envy".

Gunk (IP Logged)
24 March, 2019 21:24
Quote:
Andrew Hooper
I thought we were sort of over this. But how can you say that Claire is not super competitive. On top of that Bernie should just fade away into the sunset.
He pretty well set up a model that saw F1 where it is today with budgets out of control, a payment package that sees Ferrari get a huge amount of money just for turning up.

Well said, Andrew. As we discussed a while ago, she has the money to sell up, invest in something totally non-taxing and non-stressing and never work again. WAE is a nice earner. I can imagine Williams Historic is worth a few bob, as is the brand. Claire and Jonathan could easily sit on the beach rather than go through all this.

I find that a strange thing for Bernie to say. But maybe it was taken out of context?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net