2019 Bahrain Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

State of modern F1 x Williams Business model
rpaloschi (IP Logged)
07 March, 2019 18:30
Wondering about all the shitty times we are living in... it struck me how sad is the current state of things and how Williams is slowly and inevitably being pushed out of the sport... dying by a million cuts. sad smiley

The so much anticipated budget cut is about to come in 21, but, does it really matter?

It is not about the fact that Williams, as a team is a huge mess as it is obvious these days, but the way the decision of staying as an independent team, besides being one of the things that, personally, makes me proud of the team, made it an easy target for the ones with the money: The B-teams model
Ferrari -> Alpha and Hass
RBR/Honda -> STR
Mercedes -> Racing Point
Renault -> Macca (maybe, just speculating)

It seems clear to me that Williams can't compete at that level and is... kind of, were it is supposed to be as far as resources are concerned.

Let's suppose the budget cut becomes a thing: they will simply split the development work and get twice or more buget to spend. That puts Williams in the same situation as today, maybe even worse.

Is there any scenario where the team can survive and be competitive in your opinion?

Re: State of modern F1 x Williams Business model
Mikef1 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2019 19:03
Quote:
rpaloschi
Wondering about all the shitty times we are living in... it struck me how sad is the current state of things and how Williams is slowly and inevitably being pushed out of the sport... dying by a million cuts. sad smiley
The so much anticipated budget cut is about to come in 21, but, does it really matter?

It is not about the fact that Williams, as a team is a huge mess as it is obvious these days, but the way the decision of staying as an independent team, besides being one of the things that, personally, makes me proud of the team, made it an easy target for the ones with the money: The B-teams model
Ferrari -> Alpha and Hass
RBR/Honda -> STR
Mercedes -> Racing Point
Renault -> Macca (maybe, just speculating)

It seems clear to me that Williams can't compete at that level and is... kind of, were it is supposed to be as far as resources are concerned.

Let's suppose the budget cut becomes a thing: they will simply split the development work and get twice or more buget to spend. That puts Williams in the same situation as today, maybe even worse.

Is there any scenario where the team can survive and be competitive in your opinion?

Yep. Kick out the old people that have been occupying chairs too long. Somehow we have a fantastic commercial team generating sponsors despite the very obvious flaws to the race team. Marketing in its current guise is modern and that's why Williams are good at it.

I haven't known anyone at Williams since like 2013/2014 But there has been enough said about the team in recent teams to know that comfy bottoms are occupying the same chairs. Old timers with old methods. If Williams wants to compete again surely they need to get these people retired and promote young energised students who know far more than their old time counterparts who are more concerned about proudly clinging onto their past glories than accepting their role in the demise of the team. It doesn't just fall on Paddy and Claire, there are more people in charge of far more specific components and it's these components amassed as a whole that are failing

AlanJones (IP Logged)
08 March, 2019 13:04
In effect, throw in some good heads on strong shoulders who are indeed young. Let them allow to make mistakes and learn from it. Manage the team different by giving more decision making away and last but not least.. please Frank let the youngsters do their job and don't intervene.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/24eyh6f.jpg

CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2019 13:39
Your very right in saying the budget cuts are not going to help. Parta sharing means b teams have more money to spend on development unlike Williams who ha e to develop everything and spread the budget to do so.

I know I've said it before but the only way to sort this is make every team responsible for its own development. The b teams should be made to do their own donkey work. They shouldn't be lowed to develop relationships with the bigger teams. B teams should be banned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2019 13:40 by CLOVERLEAF 888.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2019 14:00
Quote:
CLOVERLEAF 888
Your very right in saying the budget cuts are not going to help. Parta sharing means b teams have more money to spend on development unlike Williams who ha e to develop everything and spread the budget to do so.
I know I've said it before but the only way to sort this is make every team responsible for its own development. The b teams should be made to do their own donkey work. They shouldn't be lowed to develop relationships with the bigger teams. B teams should be banned.

Not really most of these borrowed parts are going to be spec soon anyway. Apparently it will be only suspension aerodynamic surfaces cooling and chassis teams will be building themselves. Most b teams borrow the suspension but do their own cooling and chassis.

CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2019 17:55
So Mike, what your saying is their will be less parts sharing in the future?

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2019 20:09
Quote:
CLOVERLEAF 888
So Mike, what your saying is their will be less parts sharing in the future?

Yes because all of those components under the skin will be developed by one supplier

Andrew Hooper (IP Logged)
09 March, 2019 08:53
Yes standardised parts will help reduce costs but there also has to be some effort made on controlling budgets as even with these common parts the bigger teams will always find ways to outspend the smaller ones in terms of development in those areas that are not common as well as in-season development.

But from what I have been able to learn Williams has been operating on what was a quite reasonable budget compared to their midfield competition but really has been less than efficient in how they spend their money.

When you compare Williams with a team like Force India FI have been so much better in terms of how they spend their money. At times Williams has tried to address this such as back in the day when Accenture was involved with the team they did a reviews but it did not work out. Some of the previous Technical Managers have attempted to control costs in the past but as a for where they are in recent days I am not sure.

But the more the team can control costs it allows them to address things such as spending more on better qualified staff, give better team bonuses which makes everyone one happy, and more car development.

j-s (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 15:55
The fact that WIlliams has lasted so long as a manufacturer-less independent team means that the business model works OK most of the time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net