2019 Monaco Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Point for Fastest Lap
phatjack (IP Logged)
08 March, 2019 10:45
The FIA World Motor Sport Council has approved plans for an extra Formula 1 World Championship point to be awarded for fastest lap, starting from the opening race of the 2019 season in Melbourne.

Thoughts?

"When you talk, you are repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new." - Dalai Lama

Re: Point for Fastest Lap
Mikef1 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2019 11:11
Quote:
phatjack
The FIA World Motor Sport Council has approved plans for an extra Formula 1 World Championship point to be awarded for fastest lap, starting from the opening race of the 2019 season in Melbourne.
Thoughts?

Get Williams to pit on the 3rd to last laps of every grand prix and notch her up to qualifying mode for a lap, we can score more points than last year

ihme (IP Logged)
08 March, 2019 11:58
Quote:
Mikef1
Quote:
phatjack
Thoughts?

Get Williams to pit on the 3rd to last laps of every grand prix and notch her up to qualifying mode for a lap, we can score more points than last year

It's only for the top 10 in the race.

Niedzwiedz (IP Logged)
08 March, 2019 12:30
You sure ihme ? I thought it was purely for 11-20 ?

Greg_OR (IP Logged)
08 March, 2019 12:40
for top 10 it make sense, they will have to keep tight up to p11 not to allow anybody to pit on last laps. And maybe some middle fielders will risk 2 stop strategy more often.

Williams-123 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2019 12:44
I don't see the big deal, it is only for a single point....wtf(Sm56)

ihme (IP Logged)
08 March, 2019 12:53
Quote:
Niedzwiedz

"The rules will follow a similar format to the one employed in Formula E, with the bonus point only being awarded if the driver concerned finishes in the top 10."

[www.autosport.com]

phatjack (IP Logged)
08 March, 2019 20:06
Quote:
Williams-123

2 points. WDC and WCC. Over 21 races that can make a difference.

Edit: If someone outside the 10 top produces the FL no point awarded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2019 20:08 by phatjack.

Niedzwiedz (IP Logged)
08 March, 2019 22:47
Quote:
ihme
Quote:
Niedzwiedz

"The rules will follow a similar format to the one employed in Formula E, with the bonus point only being awarded if the driver concerned finishes in the top 10."

[www.autosport.com]

It sucks then, initial idea was to give this point to 11-20...

Greg_OR (IP Logged)
09 March, 2019 09:29
Quote:
phatjack
Quote:
Williams-123

2 points. WDC and WCC. Over 21 races that can make a difference.

Edit: If someone outside the 10 top produces the FL no point awarded.
So I think it will be regular practice to steel this point by someone from P11-20 making additional tyre change at the end of race.

phatjack (IP Logged)
09 March, 2019 10:08
As it should be and I am in favor. F1 was and should be about leaving it all out on the race track not conserving fuel and tires.

phatjack (IP Logged)
09 March, 2019 10:19
oops posted in wrong thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2019 10:20 by phatjack.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 08:48
Quote:
phatjack
As it should be and I am in favor. F1 was and should be about leaving it all out on the race track not conserving fuel and tires.

I agree it gives something for teams to push for late in the race instead of settling into their deltas when the gap is too big. Also 1 point won't decide the championship but say bottas is in 4th and Hamilton is in 1st, Bottas could very easily secure a fastest lap and increase the net haul of Mercedes. As could the cars around him. I think the only driver who's not going to try this will be both leading a championship and the race.

Darron (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 09:02
Anyone who either has a gap greater than a pit stop window to the car behind or can easily catch up again to retake the position will go for it so we could see a madness of pitstops as they all fight for it if they wont lose out.

If Williams are going to be as slow as expected, perhaps they should go for it to prevent someone getting the point - that is if they can be quick enough on new tyres.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 13:26
Quote:
Darron
Anyone who either has a gap greater than a pit stop window to the car behind or can easily catch up again to retake the position will go for it so we could see a madness of pitstops as they all fight for it if they wont lose out.
If Williams are going to be as slow as expected, perhaps they should go for it to prevent someone getting the point - that is if they can be quick enough on new tyres.

Easily. If Hamilton is stretching his pace for tyres and engine conservation he could be lapping 4s slower than a backmarker car could do a glory run in at the end of a race. If the top is too tight for anyone to take that risk at the front then an underdog team could easily snatch a fastest lap

Williams-123 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 13:37
I still don't get this, I think it is a whacky idea...Stipid (Sm8)

bluesith (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 16:49
Funky idea. It should be open for all cars tho

K1 (IP Logged)
13 March, 2019 01:23
I support this new rule. It adds a further 'frisson' of excitement to see any one of the top ten lay it all on the line. Where i see the major benefit is if any driver, in the top ten, fluff starts/ has a slow pitstop or gets unnecessarily caught up in extraneous events that puts him out of position then he/they will be tempted to try for the fastest 'tour' right at the 'bell lap'. Can only be good for the fans and for the drivers as well. That it's the same for all drivers renders the rule fair and equitable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net