Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Australia Grand Prix Preview
ihme (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 11:07
Surprise, surprise - no Paddy.

After an intense winter, the 2019 FIA Formula One World Championship is officially about to get underway! The season kicks off this weekend at Australia’s Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit with ROKiT Williams Racing heading into 2019 with a new look, a new driver line-up, and renewed energy. Robert Kubica has stepped up into a full-time race seat having served as the team’s Reserve Driver last year, and the Pole will complete a remarkable return to the grid after an eight-year absence on race day down under. He is accompanied by young British talent and current FIA Formula 2 Champion George Russell, who begins his Formula One career by making his debut in Melbourne.

Dave Robson, Senior Race Engineer: Melbourne is a fantastic location for the first race of the new season and it will be great to get into a warmer climate following winter testing in Europe. It is an exciting season ahead with the effect of the new rules in aerodynamics, which we hope will deliver not only closer racing but also a closer grid. For us, it has taken a huge amount of work by everyone on Grove to prepare enough parts, to get all our procedures in place, and ensure that the drivers are in the best possible position to start the competition. The first race is always one of the most interesting as we see the real order of performance for the first time. In terms of the circuit itself, it is quite an unusual track where it can be quite bumpy, and tough on the brakes. It places a lot of demands on the car’s handling as well as the drivers’ stamina but also requires a lot of the aerodynamics, with the exciting high-speed chicane at T11/12 being especially demanding. It is a good test of both the drivers and the cars, but it can throw up some unusual results. Finally, we wish all our fans a great start to the season.

Robert Kubica: It will be a very emotional Grand Prix. It is the second debut for me after being away from the sport for many years. My last Formula One race was in Abu Dhabi 2010, so I am looking forward to going to Australia with a few things to cover and learn. I hope to enjoy the weekend and that everything will run smoothly without any big issues so I can concentrate on my driving and discover a new Formula One. It is one thing to drive a Formula One car, and it is another thing to actually race it. Over the years, I think the approach to races has changed, so I have a lot of things to discover but I am looking forward to it.

George Russell: I am extremely excited for Melbourne. It will be my first race in Formula One and it is a dream come true. It will be a very proud and extremely surreal moment for me standing on the starting grid with everybody preparing for the race, and I am really looking forward to the whole experience. I am going to make sure that I enjoy it, won’t take it for granted and make the most of it. I have never been to Australia before, so I am going out there earlier to get used to the weather, the time difference and see the city a little bit before starting work properly on the Tuesday before the race. All in all I am really looking forward to the whole experience.

[www.williamsf1.com]

Re: Australia Grand Prix Preview
Jasper777 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 11:21
Ihme,
Do you have inside knowledge or what, when does Cilla become our next TD.

Andrew Hooper (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 12:14
I will call this my disaster prediction.

As we get ready for the GP just thought I would throw a few things into the discussion just to prepare us mentally.

Will the Williams car meet the regulations when they scrutineer it possibly after qualifying or the race. What happens if Williams is required to make changes they can't meet over the course of the weekend. Can that see them not run?

What happens if the car can't meet the 107% ruling after qualifying and is not able to start the race.

Not saying any of this will happen but just in case. I don't want to see a flood of what a disaster type postings as I know that everyone will be thinking just that.

11 March, 2019 12:19
Now for my a positive start to the year predictor.

Yes we may be slow and start the race from the back of the grid but the weekend will go smoothly with all the issues with the car in terms of its legality been resolved.

Pace wise we will still suffer from a slowish car but at least we will have enough pace to get into the race and get both cars home at the finish.

The team will function well in terms of things like pit stops and race strategy and in the day to day operations in the garage.

Oh well time will tell whether this prediction comes to pass.

Williams-123 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 12:45
The big problem for Williams is going to be where they qualify, they will be in the danger zone so they have a big chance of getting damaged cars.

If you qualify around 16th or 17th on the grid you have a big chance of getting caught up in the angry pack and risk damaging your car.

Williams will be in the damage car danger zone because of where they qualify.

Williams-123 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 12:49
Yep it is going to be very risky for Williams in the first couple of corners in the races this year because of where they qualify,....Big risk of damaged cars in the first lap for Williams this year just because of where they qualify (Sm17)

Broken front wings anyone?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2019 12:50 by Williams-123.

Anderis (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 14:00
Quote:
Williams-123
Yep it is going to be very risky for Williams in the first couple of corners in the races this year because of where they qualify,....Big risk of damaged cars in the first lap for Williams this year just because of where they qualify (Sm17)
Just start from pitlane- problem solved.

ihme (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 14:10
F1metrics - 2019 Preseason Analysis

[f1metrics.wordpress.com]

j-s (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 15:41
Thanks for the link, ihme.

There is consensus about who is slowest at the moment. Hopefully the team can find a lot of time. I think it'll be a tough year.

Gunk (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 16:58
Dave Robson it is then . . . as I think predicted by Francesc.

Not a lightweight by any means . . . was Button's race engineer at McLaren . . . 2013 or so. Joined Williams 2015?

I honestly don't know what to expect. The 107% thing would be crushing.

ihme (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 17:09
Quote:
Gunk
Dave Robson it is then . . . as I think predicted by Francesc.
Not a lightweight by any means . . . was Button's race engineer at McLaren . . . 2013 or so. Joined Williams 2015?

I honestly don't know what to expect. The 107% thing would be crushing.

Well if we look at the 2018 qualy, we would need to be almost 6 seconds of the fastest car in q1 to trigger the 107% rule. I dont think we need to worry about it at all.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 17:47
I actually don't imagine the car will be as bad compare do the front runners as last year's. I mean. I'm fully prepared to be proven wrong but last year's car was so bad.

12 March, 2019 02:10
I have the same feelings as I would hope that the team worked on eliminating all the FW41 issues from the current design. So in this regard the FW42 should hopefully be a step forward.

Williams-123 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2019 06:34
Quote:
Anderis
Quote:
Williams-123
Just start from pitlane- problem solved.

That is actually a pretty good idea, this will save first lap car damage.

Because lets not kid ourselves where Williams qualify is going to put them in the angry pack and they will have a huge risk of first lap car damage.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net