Minutes
Seconds

Joe Saward - Thoughts on arrival in Melbourne
George Orwell (IP Logged)
13 March, 2019 01:15

Re: Joe Saward - Thoughts on arrival in Melbourne
Andrew Hooper (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 00:26
Some of what he said I agree with but other parts are just a repeat of what so many people have been saying about Williams.

ihme (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 08:27
Saward isnt even worth mentioning here. He's got a reputation of almost never being right.

j-s (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 19:32
I read Saward's blog regularly. Good stuff. He rarely goes into details about why a car is fast or slow; it's more about how teams operate and politics, which I thoroughly enjoy.
Sometimes he's a bit haughty and grumpy. Fine with me.

There is not a single smoking gun in all this mess... But like Saward says, it's likely down to internal culture and some friction between shareholders and management. Nothing we haven't written about before, sure, but still a worthy of space in an F1 blog.

The fact that Williams' situation merits so many words in his first real blog post of the season just illustrates the magnitude of the problem. Embarrassing and somewhat alarming.

Gunk (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 20:31
There's not a lot new here of course but he does re-iterate the problem of the business model. Since Dieselgate, the car manufacturers have been piling into electric vehicles . . . and Formula E. VW plans to build 20 million electric vehicles in the next decade. I just don't think manufacturers see F1 as an long term option any more. We have to co-operate with someone in F1 or jump into the upcoming formula. A partnership with Renault? Their customer engines aren't de-tuned.

Joe also mentions Paddy's mega salary. Frank never did like paying over the odds and much of the falling out with drivers was over money.

Lots of little things perhaps but I agree it will take a big personality to bring change.

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 00:34
I think Formula E has secured the rights to run the only electric single seater series until 2030 from the FIA or something. So Agag may have actually made a genius move and Liberty may have bought a pup.

I know F1 is massive compared to FE. The iconic circuits, the massive crowds, the legacy, the best drivers and so on. The pure romance of it. But, things can change quickly.

I can tell you that my next car will be an EV and I am far from alone. Even if I have to keep the old Merc running for a year or 3 longer until used Model S prices come down a bit.

I am kind of surprised that Williams haven't got into FE yet. It's apparently a fraction of the cost of F1.

Gunk (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 14:36
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone
I think Formula E has secured the rights to run the only electric single seater series until 2030 from the FIA or something. So Agag may have actually made a genius move and Liberty may have bought a pup.
I know F1 is massive compared to FE. The iconic circuits, the massive crowds, the legacy, the best drivers and so on. The pure romance of it. But, things can change quickly.

I can tell you that my next car will be an EV and I am far from alone. Even if I have to keep the old Merc running for a year or 3 longer until used Model S prices come down a bit.

I am kind of surprised that Williams haven't got into FE yet. It's apparently a fraction of the cost of F1.

We have a lot of electronics expertise in house . . . also at WAE. Wouldn't be a bad fit. And we get the jump on other teams crossing over, which I think is inevitable. You may be right about Agag.

IanSmithISA (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 17:34
Good evening,

Quote:
Ozzy Osbone

I am a bit confused by this. :-)

You do know that Williams provided the batteries to FE, got overconfident and lost the contract to McLaren who offered a single car per race solution?

Bye

Ian

Damon96 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 18:20
Quote:
Ozzy Osbone

They were supporting Jaguar at one point

[www.autosport.com]

Not sure what the status is, think a few engineers went from Williams to Jaguar. They missed a trick not aligning with someone,maybe they didn’t want to put the battery contract at risk but that didn’t turn out well.

Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 18:40
Yes, I was aware of that. Bit of a kick in the knackers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net