2019 German Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Bonus point for fastest lap
SydneyF1Fan (IP Logged)
18 March, 2019 19:53
So what does everyone think about the new bonus point for fastest lap?

I loved the battle and intrigue over stategies for the extra point. No one was quite sure whether to go for it or what to do in this first race, but it's going to throw out some interesting strategy calls over the season.

Toto said he banned the drivers from going for it pre-race, but changed his mind after Bottas scored it.

Horner said they were considering bringing Gasly in for new tyres at the end just to "steal" the point from Top 10 opponents, so no one got it, which was an interesting twist.

Leclerc could have pitted for new tyres at the end with the gap he had, but Ferrari didn't want to risk throwing it all away with a bad pit stop.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

Re: Bonus point for fastest lap
Williams-123 (IP Logged)
19 March, 2019 00:30
I did not think I would like it but after seeing the final 5 laps of the Australian GP I think this bonus point for fastest lap is really good and adds a bit of excitement...........thumbs down

Andrew Hooper (IP Logged)
19 March, 2019 05:15
I am still curious as to whether they should have allowed all cars to have a go.

SydneyF1Fan (IP Logged)
19 March, 2019 06:27
Quote:
Andrew Hooper
I am still curious as to whether they should have allowed all cars to have a go.

I think there's a great tension between letting them have a go at the possible 21 points for the season, the risk of throwing away Top 10 race points with a bad pit stop or accident and the undesired strain on the limited engine life.

Based on the first race it seems that they'll only take the risk if it's low and there's a natural opportunity, such as racing for a position.

I'd love to see one of the mid tier teams, or a top team at the back of the pack, "steal" the point from a Top 10 team in the dying laps - they'd probably get some great publicity for doing so. Sadly, even this is out of the reach of Williams at the moment, but we can live in hope!

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

andy si (IP Logged)
19 March, 2019 09:10
Quote:
Andrew Hooper

Maybe because first you have to score WCC points to get some F1 bonus in real $$$ ?!
Having an opportunity to score 2 or 3 points without finishing 10 once kinda bests the receipe F1 has...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net