2019 German Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Favourite Number 2 Williams driver
CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2019 19:26
So as the title suggest who is your favourite number 2... Williams driver.

For me it Was Ricardo Patrese , a driver people thought was no good but turned out to be quite handy with Mansell . Seemed to have a good sense of humour too and seem well liked within the team..

Re: Favourite Number 2 Williams driver
Mr Brooksy (IP Logged)
09 April, 2019 23:23
Quote:
CLOVERLEAF 888
So as the title suggest who is your favourite number 2... Williams driver.

My vote goes to Damon during 93 early 94. He ran Prost much closer than anyone expected and then in 94 despite the dog of a FW16 helped develop it into a title winning chassis as well as stepping up after Imola to become a fully fledged and deserved number 1.

I'm my opinion, a number 2 that never stops out of number 2 status just isn't good enough.

Rosberg would be my second choice.

MViper (IP Logged)
10 April, 2019 12:37
Villenevue and Zanardi. I know Alex was slow but his character is amazing. Villenevue is a bit of a knob last few years but I loved his skills and ballsy manouvers.

When Williams signed Ralf and Monty they both had equal status right?

Williams Racing

Mehryar (IP Logged)
10 April, 2019 12:51
For me it's an obvious choice: JPM...In 01&02 he was meant to be our second driver but always fun to watch & he did enough to become the 1st driver in the team.

Next one should be Nick Heidfeld if you can call him the 2nd driver though.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Dylan's Together Through Life Hits The Stores.

dot_com (IP Logged)
10 April, 2019 14:23
Robert Kubica? Hehe.

phatjack (IP Logged)
10 April, 2019 23:39
Heinz-Harold Frentzen was a clear #2 driver behind JVi, but proved if he was up against Hill at Williams like he did at Jordan things would have been much different.

dot_com (IP Logged)
11 April, 2019 02:34
I really liked Frentzen back in the day. He had some amazing races in the Jordan.

Andrew Hooper (IP Logged)
11 April, 2019 13:54
Thierry Boutsen - short time with Williams but a successful one.

j-s (IP Logged)
11 April, 2019 17:23
agree about early JPM. He was so much fun to watch.

shriekback (IP Logged)
12 April, 2019 20:24
No love for Filipe? Even if he was the lead Williams driver in his last season, I thought he was clearly #2 to Bottas prior to that.

Damon96 (IP Logged)
12 April, 2019 20:47
Quote:
phatjack
Heinz-Harold Frentzen was a clear #2 driver behind JVi, but proved if he was up against Hill at Williams like he did at Jordan things would have been much different.

Hill in his Jordan days was quite a different character to 93-96, 97 would have been a tight season with the pressure of winning his first WDC gone.

JPM, probably my favourite Williams driver since Hill. Would add Hulk as well though, really sad we only got one season of him.

Anderis (IP Logged)
12 April, 2019 21:15
What defines a number 2 driver? Some cases are not as clear as ohter.

Gunk (IP Logged)
12 April, 2019 21:47
Quote:
Mr Brooksy

Rosberg would be my second choice.

Not Keke, presumably?

As I remember, Mansell was clearly No 2 to Keke and supposed to be No 2 to Piquet, which is where the trouble started. Followed by more trouble at Ferrari where he was supposed to be No 2 to Prost.

Interesting that Andrew should mention Boutsen. SFW didn't really like him. He didn't much like Webber either, but admitted he later he may have been wrong about Webber.

phatjack (IP Logged)
12 April, 2019 22:33
There was a strong rumor circulating in around that time, that Webber got the ride ahead of better drivers because of Sam Michael.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net