Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
China Sat Prac & Qualifying
Andrew Hooper (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 03:53
Will Kubica be able to keep in front of Russell. Will Williams make any small gains over those at the rear of the field. Questions upon questions ....

Re: China Sat Prac & Qualifying
13 April, 2019 04:29
Still looks like just a test session for the team. Changing Russell's floor to a different one, not a new one.

erratic (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 05:53
Shame Sir Patrick has a self imposed ban on speaking to the media. Was quite looking forward to hearing his views.

Is it my imagination, or does the team seem a little closer to the ones in front after third practice?

Myvatn (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 06:48
We look closer, but last year Sirotkin was 1.4 seconds faster in fp3, so...

Williams-123 (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 06:54
Watching the replay of the Alexander Albon crash you could tell he didn't get hurt in that, I don't think it was that big of a crash.

GroveF1 (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 07:16
This is depressing watching Williams Inthis state. I know we expected it but the complaints from Kubica no wonder Paddy is lying low

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 07:22
With Kubica his car seems to be behaving a lot better this weekend I do wonder if some of his bogey components such as the floor and wings have been replaced so he has a more level car with George.

Gwanni (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 07:32
seems to be closer than the rest of the field

13 April, 2019 07:35
From the onboard on Robert's car he seemed to be suffering from terrible understeer which is turning into oversteer. Reminds me of my son's kart.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 07:43
Quote:
Andrew Hooper
From the onboard on Robert's car he seemed to be suffering from terrible understeer which is turning into oversteer. Reminds me of my son's kart.

Yeah its been a nice little feature of this years car. Understeer in and over steer out. Horrible

13 April, 2019 07:49
In post qualifying interviews Robert would say: "The balance shifted quite a lot ... which I was not expected. Second run car balance came back but nothing like yesterday. Expectation for race ... Will be a long race ... difficult to know what will happen ... we struggle more than others ... long race to manage the tyres so we will see."

Myvatn (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 08:07
We are still one full second slower than last year.

Also other teams got worse (Ferrari by 8 tenths), but considering how terrible FW41 was, that’s quite an achievement.

Williams-123 (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 08:56
So the FW42 is just as big of a dog as the FW41 (Sm17)

Sweeper (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 09:26
Robert:

'The balance of the car was completely different than before. I tried to fix the situation later on the steering wheel settings and improved a little, but you have to analyze it all. These differences from stint to stint become our showcase.

On the last stint I tried to heat the tires less, because in my opinion and the team they overheated. The start was weak, I lost my grip on the third and regained it on the 11th corner. In the last corner I lost 150-200 thousand. To optimize everything you need to know why this is happening.

We have not changed too much, and after those we have introduced, it should be better, not worse. I know that something got changed between the third training and qualifications and maybe this gave such an effect. We've updated everything on a regular basis, and it should not be like that, because first you need to know what you can set.

The race will be long, it will be very important to get on with the tires and a lot will depend on the conditions. Regardless, it will be a difficult race.'

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 13/04/2019 09:30 by Sweeper.

Mikef1 (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 09:31
I remember the fw41 went quit well at China it was one of the cars best relative performances compared to the rest of the field.

With regards to Kubicas comments, it's not altogether unusual for this to happen from one set of pirelli to the next just ask Hamilton and Bottas they both have mentioned similar things over the last few years

Sweeper (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 10:12
May well be the case, all in all Robert's experience with the pirellis is still limited. Would be good to hear from George if he experiences similar stint-to-stint differences, or if's Robert's car that's still more inconsistent. If it's really about chassis rigidity, I guess it could contribute to unpredictability, the car being more of a 'diva'. They would probably still be able to harness it...over time, but time is unfortunately one of the things the team lost. I have the impression that the current state of the cars is a sum of smaller errors/failures, pretty much like most aircraft crashes.

Gunk (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 10:37
Some optimism from yesterday soon evaporates . . . but I guess it still looks better on paper. Gap closes by .5 since Bahrain and .8 since Melbourne.

Bottas goes well here, so he'll be pleased with his pole. Another win would really set him up for the season.

Giovinazzi struggling . . . but so was LeClerc this time last year. And so was Sauber. Hard to remember. Gasly also struggling to keep up with Max. And Stroll still very hit and miss in Q.

I wonder if we'll go back to the 'Williams way of development' ? It was another thing that Paddy tried to change but, for whatever reason, didn't work out. Also hard to remember that he started at Williams with the fourth fastest car.

Qualifying China 2017 . . . Massa P6, Stroll P10

Gunk (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 11:00
Quote:
Sweeper
I have the impression that the current state of the cars is a sum of smaller errors/failures, pretty much like most aircraft crashes.

It can't help that the car was thrown together at the last minute . . . suppliers were complaining they could barely do the job. On the first - most rushed - car, some parts didn't even fit.

George said we had some new parts for China, not for performance, so I guess this situation is slowly being fixed.

phatjack (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 12:01
Let me guess the talented upstart GR out qualified the veteran RK again?

Gunk (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 12:25
Quote:
phatjack
Let me guess the talented upstart GR out qualified the veteran RK again?

I had predicted just that. You know it took the returning Schumacher two years to get on terms with Nico R.

First two seasons, Rosberg beat Schu in Q 14-5 and 16-3.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net