2019 Monaco Grand Prix Countdown

Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Does the in season testing ban actually harm us
CLOVERLEAF 888 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 06:55
Do you think the testing ban does us no favours. All we can do is design parts that a computer tells us will be better and test them on race weekends on the car. Where as before you could test and get real car data and work from there and go back and tweak things if need be. The fact that you have to wait for a race weekend just delays everything, especially if you got a car problem, making it impossible to recover.
I think testing was banned on cost grounds but in reality F1 teams or the big ones have been throwing silly money elsewhere anyway on different parts so they just find a way around the testing ban with better facilities, computers etc.

Re: Does the in season testing ban actually harm us
Anderis (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 09:14
I think, in this specific case, it might actually have benefitted us. We were such a mess and barely had enough parts to run race weekends, let alone additional testing productively. With unlimited testing, other teams might have gone further away from us.

But in medium to long term, some testing could have helped to solve issues.

Gunk (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 09:22
It was still a whole lot of money.

Williams used to have two teams, a race team and a test team. And you had a new engine every time you went out.

I have no idea why Williams is capable of building a total disaster every couple of years. Perhaps we are simply not good at using modern validation techniques, or we don't have the methodology skills in house.

This year, I suppose in theory, we can do all the track testing we want. I don't think we'll be racing anybody this season. Just turn the car into a mule and every GP weekend into a test session.

SydneyF1Fan (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 12:21
Good point Gunk - the whole race season is a big Williams test session!!

They can give the real test sessions a miss and save some money!

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SydneyF1Fan/SydneyF1FanSignatureWinner-v3.gif

Gunk (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 14:49
Quote:
Anderis
We were such a mess and barely had enough parts to run race weekends, let alone additional testing productively. .

Sure. But I'd still like to know why we were so late and in such a mess.

I've read that F1 is the country's biggest user of 3D printing for components - the turn around is blindingly fast and you can have a whole digital inventory of spares.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net